R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Looking to get a truggy some help please

Looking to get back into racing, im not up to date with the new stuff any advice would help. Im not rich by any means so affordable is a must but need to stay competive. Like the rc8t but am open to all suggestions. Also if i was to go with the rc8t i dont know what motor radio ect to get. Any help would be great thanks.
Wheelman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Ok. Go to your local track and find out what cars most are running so you can find out if you can immediately borrow parts off of them. Also check your LHS to check what brands they stock so you do have to wait by ordering online. Other than that all i can suggest is set your budget and stick to it. Give us a budget and suggestions will come
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
Ok. Go to your local track and find out what cars most are running so you can find out if you can immediately borrow parts off of them. Also check your LHS to check what brands they stock so you do have to wait by ordering online. Other than that all i can suggest is set your budget and stick to it. Give us a budget and suggestions will come
Thanks Inertia for the help. I went to my LHS and they suggested 8ight-t 2.0 rtr because they stock most traxxas and Losi parts. I understand I will have to upgrade going with the rtr, But for now it gets me on the track to start getting a feel for the truggys.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

RC8T is a great truggy from what I hear. There's several out there that are competitive and won't break the bank. I hear great things about the Hot Bodies D8T also. I've never driven either so I can't comment personally, but I do see them at the tracks and they do well.

As for radio, get what fits your budget and feels best in your hands. I've owned Spektrum and never had a single issue out of them. I now use KO and it's by far a better quality radio.
Look at the KO EX-5, comes with 2 receivers for $179 I think. The response time is the exact same as the high dollar Eurus. As far as I know, the other brands sport radios don't communicate as fast as their top of the line. I know Spektum doesn't use the same rate between their cheaper radios and top of the line.

Motors, there's a ton to choose from and some really great ones for less than $200.
The Werks B5 is a monster and will have your truggy screaming.
Novarossi P5XLT is what I run, my favorite motor for truggy and only a few $ more.
Nova P3 is a good motor. Fusion X X3 is good, made by Novarossi.
All of those are great budget motors from top of the line Italian companies.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman82 View Post
Looking to get back into racing, im not up to date with the new stuff any advice would help. Im not rich by any means so affordable is a must but need to stay competive. Like the rc8t but am open to all suggestions. Also if i was to go with the rc8t i dont know what motor radio ect to get. Any help would be great thanks.
Losi RTR - They are every where, parts are plenty and support is the best.

This is my opinion.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

if you want a rtr 1/8 with a good deal than the 2.0 t is the way to go.
if you want a 1/8 truggy kit than i would look at the rc8tce no hop ups needed it already has it all.

comes with great kit tires and rims its a tough truggy wear is not bad at all the parts are at a decent price also just a good value

the stock suspension setup works good you dont have to change much.

the cons of it are the dam bushings that key into the front knuckles, you have to make sure they are tight everytime you run it !
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the great info guys. I went with the 2.0 rtr should be in wed-thurs. Any pointers or add ons before i take it to the track and practice some laps.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

great truck but needs some attention before running it

I'd highly suggest getting a good steering servo right away, before you ever run it, because the stock one will fail. Put a good seering servo in and move the stock steering servo to the throttle. Make sure your EPAs are set correctly on the radio and pull out all of the worthless telemetry componenets.
Take your time breaking in the motor and read the break in bible.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

I saw that in the posts that they are junk. My LHS carrys stocks alot of JR do you know of a good JR steering servo? Also i will take your advice on the telemetry and get a good hand held temp gauge. Should i follow losi's break in? Thanks again
Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If they have a JR9100T hanging on the wall, get it. The high voltage ones are better, but you must run LiPo to max them out. Go with the 9100T.