R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-25-2011, 04:54 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Hyper 7 is Ofna... Can't really speak on the Hyper 7, never driven it.

Kyosho's are 7.5, 777, mp9.... I run Kyoshos. Currently have a mp9 and a 7.5. The neo is based on a mixture of the 7.5 and 777 models if I'm not mistaken.

Older cars are generally that - older and outdated. You can really see the advantages of an mp9 (in terms of design) compared to a 7.5.

With that said my driving skill (not the best but competitive at the local track) probably only brings out like 70% of the MP9's potential. That puts me at about 30 seconds per lap.

You would think that the 7.5 will be slower but truth is that I still run laps at abt the same time with it.

The reason is that I'm not a pro, so I can't really maximise and put to use the minor changes that is introduced along with every new generation of cars.

Newer cars are usually upgrades over the earlier models but my point is that unless you are a full time racer who can really bring out the max potential of a car, older cars will do just fine at a lower cost.

As long as there are still spares for the cars, there is no problem with owning older models.
tak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

You say this is specifically for BASHING correct?

I honestly would highly consider the Team Associated SC8. Yes an 1/8th scale short course nitro buggy.

Why?

A. Fundamentally its the best "basher" out there. The SC8 is basically a cross between the RC8 1/8th scale buggy, and RC8T truggy. It uses the chassis setup of the RC8T and the shorter suspension arm/setup of the RC8. And it comes with a FULL CHASSIS ROLL CAGE. First time you hit something hard or crash you will understand how nice the full chassis roll cage is. On top of that, with a few optional parts you can easily convert it into either an RC8 or RC8T. So its versatility is unmatched.

It comes in a RTR kit and surprisingly has an excellent .28 engine, thats easy to tune(and hold a tune)with a TON of power and good longevity(10-15 gallons on average before needing rebuild).

The parts quality of the SC/RC8 is also very high, the plastic is known to be very durable,comes with a nice thick milled aluminum chassis, comes with good solid stock servos, hard anodized big bore shocks and there are countless hop up parts for it as well. Its one of those rare RTR vehicles where you won't really find the need to "upgrade" parts on either. Its well built and optioned out of the box.

Personally I would bypass all the other suggestions on the "buggy" and go with the SC8 nitro short course truck instead if its in your budget.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

None of those other choices listed are anywhere near as durable cept for the RC8, and one is discontinued and impossible to get parts for(O'Donnell).
ntrain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

out of curiosity how would all these motors compare in regards to speed and which have the stronger plastics. thanks!!
inferno neospec .21
lx2 .28
rc8rs .28
sc8 .28
Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
out of curiosity how would all these motors compare in regards to speed and which have the stronger plastics. thanks!!
inferno neospec .21
lx2 .28
rc8rs .28
sc8 .28
The AE is the best built of the bunch mentioned. The RC8rs and SC8 use the same engine. The SC8 is a much better basher though for the reasons stated. Buggies suck for bashing compared to the SC8 or a good quality truggy like the RC8T. The SC8 though is superior for bashing due to the full chassis roll cage, full width bumpers, SC tires which are just as good on pavement as they are offroad, and the RC8T extended truggy chassis which enables more stable straight line handling.
ntrain42 is offline   Reply With Quote