R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-05-2004, 09:04 AM   #91
Tech Elite

Many new-generation .21's run better and idle more consistently with hot plugs. Some of the newer engines (O.S. V-Spec in particular, I believe) even come with hot plugs in them.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:52 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Hot plugs allways produce a better idle. They burn the mixture better at low RPMs. That does not change the physics. .21s produce more internal pressures and hot plugs are more fragile. I have run 59's in 1/8 too. Just pointing out that you are putting your engine at greater risk when you run hot plugs.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:15 AM   #93
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

well, I don't agree.. but that's okay.. I suggest trying different plugs.. the 59 may work better in certain cases.. but I have always had a power loss and plug life is shorter.. I run novarossi engines strictly.. so, that may be why..
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #94
Tech Adept

The two P5's that I have are the Hot Mod and the Andy Brown Mod. It was recommended to me by Andy Brown to run the MC59.
Between the two the AB mod ran smoother and idled better. I changed the plug in the Hot Mod from an OD99 to MC59 and it ran and idled better. The Andy Brown Mod was still the better running between the two however. Just my experience, yours might vary.
psmart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:01 PM   #95
Tech Elite

I live in Nebraska.. I know that I've gotten plug recommendations from others in different parts of the country and the plug either failed or didn't work properly.. so, humidity.. etc.. must play a role.. I just know the 59's were not as good as the 99's here..

I have a TurboP5 that I was told to run a #5 in from someone in Texas.. I ran a #5 then a #6 and they would only last one night.. I got a #7 and haven't replaced it yet.. so, there again.. location
Old 11-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #96
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mugen9112

here on the east coast the only plug that works for our buggy engines are the odonnell 99 and those other cold plugs, mainly because of the humidity we have here on the east coast. but i also have tried those hotter plugs and they dont last as long and they dont give the power like the cold ones do.

then again it varies from engine to engine but in terms of RB motors, you want to run a colder plug.
Mugen9112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:33 PM   #97
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to corradopsi

i ran the original P3 plug (very hot) in my vspec for about 1.5 gallons before MY mistake killed it. it may have even lasted longer but now ill never know. the vspec made its best power with that plug and had an awsome bottom end. ive tried everything in it from a novarossi p5, p6, p7, and medium dynamite plugs, the extra hot P3 from os ran the best. if you want to run a hotter plug, just make sure your head is shimmed accordingly.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:49 PM   #98
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

why would you change deck height to run a hot plug?? that is not the proper fix in my opinion.

the factory normally recommends a certain amount of nitro content in the fuel to be ran in their engine. THey take into account the deck height.

If u choose to run a different nitro content then u should change the deck height in order to prevent predetonation or loss of power due to compression being too low. Once u set the deck height for the fuel you are running then u choose the plug that will work best.

I run P5 engines. With 20% nitro and a #5 plug. Zero problems. East Coast, NC. Dont get more humid than here.
eltorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:29 PM   #99
Tech Elite

I run 30%
Old 11-06-2004, 12:21 AM   #100
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to corradopsi

maybe i should have been more clear. shim for the nitro % you are using yes. but there are some people who dont and a lot of .21's are shimmed for 25% nitro because iirc thats the max they can run in sanctioned events in europe. so if those people who dont reshim use 30%, like a lot of use do here in the states, they wont be able to use a hotter plug and get the most performace possible out of thier engine.

plugs are just like your timing in a real car. trade your nitro % for boost. your tuning variables are nitro, compression, and timing curve. if you want lots of peaky power lower compression (shim) up the nitro (our version of boost) and run the hottest plug you can get to not burn up or detonate. if you want smoother power. raise compression, go down to 20% nitro and a more medium plug. its still an engine and has to abide by the same rules all engines do. while i may not be a pro nitro engine tuner or modifier. i am very familar with what it takes to make power and create a certain powerband by tuning 1:1 cars and found that it applies to my nitro engines as well through experimentation.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:54 PM   #101
Tech Elite

I ran my car for the second time tonight; I stayed with the same shock oil and diff oils from two weeks ago, but moved the shocks out on the arm to help with stability..

..the car turned into a planted rocket. It no longer felt tipsy in the corners and skipped through the roughest sections of the track like Ricky Carmichael. After TQing tonight's races I walked away in the 15 minute main, winning by nearly 3 laps.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #102
Tech Fanatic

Good job Aaron!!!! i cant wait to see someone at my track with the car.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:44 AM   #103
Tech Elite

There were a couple people with the new car at the track last night, and they all had rave reviews for how well the car went together, and how it handles on the track.

Club racing at Hemet is great because the local competition gets to race against pro-level drivers all the time, and they've all gotten very fast. It's not uncommon for our privateers to battle with the biggest names in the industry on any given Friday night. Qualifying last night saw the top six drivers all within five seconds of each other, and the battle for second last night saw five different drivers in 2nd place sometime throughout the main event.

It's a great place to start testing my buggy for next year's racing season and I'm feeling really confident about my chances to give back to my sponsors for all their support.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:04 PM   #104
Tech Fanatic

no one can argue how awesome the dirt track is...............my buddy went up there for the dirt challenge at the start of this year and had a blast there!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2004, 02:46 PM   #105
Tech Elite

We're really spoiled to have a track like that here..and Joey is always a class act; the track is always dialed and he's always up for friendly conversation. The atmosphere at The Dirt keeps people coming back .

I'm going to run my X-1 at the Palomar R/C Flyers track today to get ready for tomorrow's club race, I'll report back later tonight.