R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-05-2005, 04:08 AM   #811
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Actually, all the buggies i've owned are so similar it is silly to try and think one has any advantage in the repair and maintenance dept. Kyosho, Mugen Hyper 7, X1, Crono, etc and every one of them it was 4-6 screws to remove any diff, 4 screws hold on each shock tower, two hold on each shock, etc.

The only thing really seperating most of the buggies out today is the help available from the team, parts availability, and price..........imo, Jim

Hi Jim.

that is probably the most sensible post i have read on internet forums. Whenever there is a new buggy release there are lots of hype as to what advantages it has over other buggies... when in fact it may not better, just different.

I read alot where people change from a Hyper (usually there first buggy) to a Mugen. Then they say wow this is so much better and they go faster with it..... I'd say the only reason why it may be better is coz you have now actually built a buggy and have followed advice from fellow racers as to a base setup to use. Also over time, as you practice more and more, and you learn about your buggy, the faster you will become, regardless of what buggy you got.

Cheers
BigBadJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:40 AM   #812
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmotox17
slrguy- thanks buddy. Do you run the X1? I like the lighter diff oils idea, it might tame the wheel spin in the duff with my RS7. I will try that. But I am concerned about the light shock oils. In my TTR I am running 50fr and 40rr. The guys with the 777's at my track are running like 40/30 and 50/35. What springs are being used with the 35/27.5 set up? I do like how the 571 diff setup acted on my TTR, really put the power down, as long as you were controlled with the trigger finger. Can you tell me what anti-squat block is being used, as well as rear toe block. Even shock positioning and pistons would be a great help. The media is going to be at the track at the next race and I dont want to look like a clown in the 1/8 scale class. I am almost considering setting the X1 on the back burner and running my other TTR. But it would be sweet to go out and podium with a buggy that hasnt proven itself. Just need to get the setup dialed and know what to expect.
Yeah, I run the X1 Pro.The lighter diff oils are supposed to work better on a tight track. They do for me. I like the lighter shock oil on the tracks I run. The tracks I run have lots of little berms and bumps placed everywhere on the track and I didn't like the heavier shock oil because it seemed to throw the car around too much when going over those berms/bumps. The lighter shock oil allows the chassis to soak up the bumps better at the expense of bottoming more on large jumps. On a track with less of these little bumps heavier shock oil might be better. I run stock shock pistons which I think have #54 holes. Front shock position is middle hole on the shock tower and inside hole on the arms (this is stock). Rear shock position is middle hole on shock tower and outside hole on the arms (inside on the arms is stock). I use stock springs. Stock anti-squat is 2.5 deg. Stock rear toe plate is 3 deg. Optional parts are available but stock seems to work pretty well.
I agree that you should shelve the X1 until you have time to play with the chassis set up and become comfortable with it. The X1 Pro has an ultra competitive chassis set up out of the box. It must since I'm consistently beating MBX5's with very little setup change. The X1 Pro feels "planted". I haven't seen a TTR yet at our track.
I have found no chassis setup works perfectly for everybody. Track layout, track conditions and drivers style dictate that each chassis setup be adjusted for the individual's taste.
I would strongly suggest you download the 5 chassis setup sheets for the X1 team drivers. You can find them here: http://www.jamminproducts.com/x1cr.htm
slrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #813
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

where can one buy the new 5mm towers ?????? already

I don't seem to find the 1piece motormount either...
speedy2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:05 PM   #814
Tech Initiate

slrguy- Thanks alot buddy. I think that I am going to run the X1. I am going to get some private track time for tuning. He said he wants to see an awesome 1/8 scale race for the media. I am even considering running it at the next NCT race just for more tuning. And if it doesnt work out, I can always swap everything into my TTR. The TTR chassis is very predictable everywhere, with the achilles heal of being a very unforgiving chassis. With a chassis that has flex and is a little more forgiving, I know I could shave off at least a second off my lap times. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks alot.
mmotox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:35 PM   #815
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2

why want to get the 5mm when the 4mm is very hard to bend or snap..??
arghh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:58 PM   #816
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2

For the 1 piece mount: http://nitrohouse.com/options,_x1.htm

Don't know if the 5mm shock towers have been released yet.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:32 AM   #817
Tech Elite

anybody tried using foam mod instead of bladder on the shock..
arghh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:26 PM   #818
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

My 4mm front tower is tweaked, i'll get the 5mm once it is readily available........, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:18 PM   #819
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

So has anyone tried the new brake setup yet? Is the part number OFN36659 for these brakes? Do I need 2 of them? My brakes work good on my car but tend to fade. I'm wondering if this new brake setup would help this.

Also is the Werks clutch much better than a regular clutch and do they really last longer? Does it fit the jammin?

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:48 PM   #820
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
So has anyone tried the new brake setup yet? Is the part number OFN36659 for these brakes? Do I need 2 of them? My brakes work good on my car but tend to fade. I'm wondering if this new brake setup would help this.
You'll need two sets of brake pads and the CNC discs. Your total will be about $72. That's not a quad brake set up but a dual brake (one in front one in rear). You can also get the Craddocks for less than a 3rd of that price and the performance is just as good. I tried them both.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #821
Tech Elite

Who makes the craddocks and are they specifically for the jammin or does another car's fit?

Old 07-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #822
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default jammin

the kyosho Craddocks fit. The 5mm chassis also looks good along with the shock towers with extra holes.
the buggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #823
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

does anyone know what shocks from OFNA are the same as the Jammin? I am having a hard time finding jammin shock rebuild kits locally. I was told the 9.5's are the same but want some clarification
Old 07-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #824
Tech Elite

Use the ofna rebuild kit, it works just fine.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #825
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Use the Ofna 9.5 yellow package, not the Ofna blue package rebuild kit.
richclo is offline   Reply With Quote