Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Jammin X1 - so close yet so far >

Jammin X1 - so close yet so far

Jammin X1 - so close yet so far

Old 04-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: finally!

Originally posted by x-GTer
Well, I finally ordered a motor for my Jammin' car! Bought me a Trinity Sirio 21 BK EVO2 "Kanai EVO 2" NIB for $300 smackers... I'm psyched!

Question: I want a hardcoated Jammin' pipe - should I get the jp1 or jp2? I mostly run on a fairly short track but I occassionally race at a track with 120 foot straight... any opinions?

Also, should I run 30% in this engine?

Thanks!
I'd get 2 pipes. For a short track, you can't beat the OFNA 063 pipe. This is a bottom end pipe and should be used with a 13T clutch bell and high stall clutch for good "squirt" from corner to corner. For longer tracks, use either the JP-1 or JP-2 depending on track length and how tight the infield is. If your track has a tight infield then make sure you have a high stall clutch. The JP-1 is low to mid range pipe while the JP-2 is a mid to high range pipe. I've had the best luck with a OFNA 063 primarily because the tracks where I race are tight amd high traction.
There are lots of variables in setting up a buggy. You should setup the engine/pipe, clutch, chassis and tires for the track. Change tracks and your setup will have to be modified. Just like real racing.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Tech Addict

no- want to try 5-10-3 though
10% lost in fade
work the suspension and start from the back with a full tank the rear universal bones should be level- turn the car sideways work the suspension and set the front
with the servo expo tweeked there are two advantages steering at -34 makes the car traction roll less because the initial 34% in the wheel is smoother so your car wont twitch a half tunr when you breath on the steering. Now with the throttle servo it tweek the expo to the postive side- providing more twitch for the low end blip

as far as the fuel economy is conserned- i gear up, tune the motor for bottom then top...the step down the high end epa till i can notice a decrease...then up a notch or two- believe me a lot more guys would win races with a slower car- hahaha
SLOw is Fast

Hopefully this will provide more insight into the set up I posted.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by notch
as far as the fuel economy is conserned- i gear up, tune the motor for bottom then top..
This is backwards. You want to tune for top end and then bottom end. The high speed needle affects the low speed needle. Think of the high speed needle as the master flow control. Your way eill always cause the bottom end to be out of tune.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:27 PM
CAR
Tech Addict

Notch, Do you have a part number on that high traction wing?What is it off of ? Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

slrguy, thank you for the informative reply! I decided to go with the Jammin' JP-2 for now. My reasoning is this: the engine I bought is supposed to have crazy low end so even with a pipe for mid range and top end power, I should still have great bottom. This is what I'm hoping anyway LOL. I can only get one pipe for now but when I have a few extra bucks I'll pick up the Ofna 063 and give it a try.

When you say "high stall" clutch, do you mean late engaging? I actually have the Werks power clutch so I can adjust the engagement... I'm psyched to try this thing out!

On a side note, judging by your handle, I'd guess you might be a photographer? There's a "dslrguy" on the Ofna forums, is that you? I'm a bit of an amatuer photographer myself so I was just curious.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

I use a JP-2 on my P-5 and it has nore bottom than a JP-1 bottom end pipe and i also tell it has more top end.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Ok, two things..first, X-GTer, I think you got the right pipe. My Maxys modded Mega 7 port is a monster and the JP1 on it is too much bottom end. I'm always searching for traction, even on high bite tracks. In fact I have the smallest restrictor in the engine and only 1.0 springs, i'm thinking of going to .9's, . I wish i'd of gotten a JP2 and may soon.

2nd, slow is definately fast, especially where wheel spin is concerned. You don't want to eliminate it, but you don't want crazy wheelspin. The kind that seems like you have 4 pizza cutters for tires?LOL..........I've found that in 1/8th scale the cars are so overpowered, looking for gas mileage will usually(not always) make you faster from less pit stops, but also will net faster single laps as well!..........That's is not even taking into account the less frequent mistakes with a more controllable car. I'd take a wild guess and say about 40-50% of racers have too much power for thier ability.........imo......Jim
Old 04-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Cool

Thanks for your input Jim! I definitely agree that slow is fast. I've been tearing it up pretty good with my Sirio powered ad2 and I'm barely on the throttle around most of the track... maybe 1/2 throttle on the straight. I like having plenty on tap for when I go to RC Madness (Enfield, CT)... they have a nice long straight! At my regular haunt you can't use all the power though.

I remember when I put my MT-12 in my GT a couple years back - I did it as a joke at first and the thing was ridiculous! I got used to driving it though and it stayed in that car for - are you ready for this? - 5 1/2 gallons! That is by far the most fuel I've ever run through a small block! Great motor! It was still running good when I sold it. Anyway, I know what you mean about most people having more power than they can use - I'm usually one of them LOL. I do try to learn to drive these beasts though.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Tech Adept

When you say "high stall" clutch, do you mean late engaging?
Yes. I guess my days as a drag racer is showing. We used to call a torque converter for automatics "high stall" if it allowed the engines to rev higher before full engagement.
On a side note, judging by your handle, I'd guess you might be a photographer? There's a "dslrguy" on the Ofna forums, is that you? I'm a bit of an amatuer photographer myself so I was just curious.
Good guess! I started using Dslrguy when I moved to Digital SLRs.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:59 AM
Tech Adept

What are you shooting with? I have a Nikon D70.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

where can I download the jammin x1 manual ????

is the asian Hongnor pro x1 and Jammin x1 pro kit really identical or are there differences ????

Last edited by speedy2; 04-27-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Slr thanks-

Jim great insight. I tqed last night-went 3 seconds faster then my time last week...short track (hot rod) with a 15tooth!

As far as the high downforce wing I will try to locate the part # for you- It works!
Old 04-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

Horizon Hobbies has it- url- http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...PD&BrandID=OFN

1/8 Hard Wing,Tri-Level,White [OFN16010]
by OFNA RACING DIVISION in Car/Truck Bodies, wings & Decals

Our Price: $14.95
Old 04-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

What are you shooting with? I have a Nikon D70.
Canon 10D, D30 and a boat load of lenses.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

Canon 10D, D30 and a boat load of lenses.
Nice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.