R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 AM   #3721
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocket View Post
Hiya,
Have you replaced the bottom A/B suspension hinge pin mount to a metal one? if so you need to use shorter bolts on the screws holding it to the gearbox, otherwise the screws coming up from the bottom hit the end of the A/B mounting bolts, damaging the threads, allowing them to come out easier

Hope this helps...........
Hi Crocket
My basic setup on the X1 for diffs is 5-7-2.
Have you tried thicker setups?
I am thinking 10-20-2, if so what were your findings. Can one use this kind of setting on all types of tracks?
Jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #3722
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy View Post
Hi Crocket
I am thinking 10-20-2, if so what were your findings. Can one use this kind of setting on all types of tracks?
10-20-2 would be WAY too high for the front and center diff. I've strictly used Chad Bradley's V2 setup on a whole host of tracks with little to no changes. There are basically three changes I make to the car; I change out the shock oil for 5wt heavier oil if it's 80 degrees or hotter, and yes it's a noticable difference. If the track is rutted up I will add a -1 degree of camber to the rear wheels, then if it's super rutted up I will put the plastic braces on the car to make it more consistant in the rough. If those changes don't work then I'd put 5K in the center diff.

Here is the setup I was referring to:
http://www.jamminproducts.com/CRsetups/x1supCBv2.pdf
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #3723
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thaks for ideas on the screws . I hope maybe with next car they will move them. But I have had a couple of Buggy's and I love my Jammin. I couldnt ask for a better car.

Last edited by prphze; 07-19-2007 at 09:01 PM.
prphze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #3724
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy View Post
Hi Crocket
Hi Jerseyboy
Those diff oils you are suggesting are not suitable for Buggies; they are Truggy settings and are generally that high to stop the front tires getting all the power down the straight causing them to blow up like balloons.

I would suggest starting with 5F,7C,2R – if bumpy 5F,5C,2R and if really loose 3F,5C,3R

Front Diff Oil: - stick between 3,000k-7,000k - (or 10,000k Only on extreme flat high speed tracks)
If you want more steering entering the corner try running lighter oil (3,000wt buggy) this will give the car more off-power steering, which is better on tight tracks. Heavier oils (7,000-10,000wt buggy), will give your car better on-power steering and will help on higher speed tracks. You also have to consider how the diff affects the handling through bumps. Lighter oils (3,000wt buggy), are better for bumpy conditions. If the oil is too heavy it will make the car want to change direction or over-steer in the rough or rhythm sections.

Centre Diff Oil:- stick between 3,000k-10,000k
Lighter centre oils help the buggy track straight while accelerating (3,000-5,000wt). Running lighter oils in the centre has a negative effect on the acceleration. The lighter oil allows the power to be directed toward the front of the car and hamper acceleration out of corners.
If you're having trouble clearing jumps that are out of a slow corner, that could be a sign that the centre diff is too light, but for really bumpy sections having lighter oil in the centre will allow the car to accelerate better and straighter.

Rear diff oil: - stick between 2,000k-3,000k
Stick to 2,000-3,000wt. Lighter oil in the rear diff gives the vehicle more off-power steering, but can make the car or truck feel inconsistent around the track, especially in long racers.

And as Panther said - you cant go wrong with Chad Bradley’s Setup

I hope this has helped
Crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #3725
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I bought a used Jammin, and really like it. However, the lower screw on the steering hub keeps coming vibrating out. What after-market steering hubs do you suggest?

Thanks
Takt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #3726
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
That's what he said Mac. Use ca AS a loctite, not OR loctite. lol
yes, brain fart. sorry
Old 07-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #3727
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takt View Post
I bought a used Jammin, and really like it. However, the lower screw on the steering hub keeps coming vibrating out. What after-market steering hubs do you suggest?

Thanks
just use a lil bit of lock tite...i had the same problem, and a dab of lock tite fixed me up...
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #3728
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What do u guys think of the pbs versus the c hub suspension?
camshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #3729
Tech Elite

I've had a number of PBS cars and I still like the C Hub better. I find it easier to set up and it has a better point-and-shoot feel for the rougher sections. I am in no way a pro but this is what I have found.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #3730
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Anyone have a good explanation as to what roll center changes to make and when..
Or a link that wil explain...
rregl0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:16 AM   #3731
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
What do u guys think of the pbs versus the c hub suspension?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rregl0612 View Post
Anyone have a good explanation as to what roll center changes to make and when..
Or a link that wil explain...
Hi Camshaft & rregl0612,
i know that this is a long thread but you will find that due to the size most questions have already been answered.

Here is a link to the pivot ball discussion:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...00#post3131900

I'm not sure the PBS is a good thing as on certain tracks it has a tendancy to bind up, Jerseyboy has tried it and at the time he felt that he wasnt as consistent with the PBS and that it felt faster in some areas and slower in others. Overall it does not seem to work for his drive style. Jerseyboy - have you given it another try??

Roll centre has also been discussed - here is a link to that part of the thread.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...32#post3106632

Also, Heres a link to a great site if you are into reading about the physics behind any changes you make to your RC cars - http://users.pandora.be/elvo
and in particular Roll Centre http://users.pandora.be/elvo/3/3.html

I hope this has helped
Crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 AM   #3732
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocket View Post
Hi Camshaft & rregl0612,
i know that this is a long thread but you will find that due to the size most questions have already been answered.

Here is a link to the pivot ball discussion:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...00#post3131900

I'm not sure the PBS is a good thing as on certain tracks it has a tendancy to bind up, Jerseyboy has tried it and at the time he felt that he wasnt as consistent with the PBS and that it felt faster in some areas and slower in others. Overall it does not seem to work for his drive style. Jerseyboy - have you given it another try??

Roll centre has also been discussed - here is a link to that part of the thread.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...32#post3106632

Also, Heres a link to a great site if you are into reading about the physics behind any changes you make to your RC cars - http://users.pandora.be/elvo
and in particular Roll Centre http://users.pandora.be/elvo/3/3.html

I hope this has helped
I have 2 x1 buggies. My son has the the PBS on his buggy. I transfered everything to his buggy. So effectively I can use both when I want to.
I am using the C-hub in mine.
The PBS has more steering and makes the car a more on-power steering car. If you like you can run very thick front oils as your steering is not affected. The PBS steers on a ticky. Its cheaper to run as the only downside is the balls must be maintained constantly. I find if you run on very dusty tracks the suspension becomes tighter as the day progresses.
All in all its like crocket says. User preference. Our top X1 racers are running the PBS and they love it. They say they turn into the competitors in a corner. I have my PBS and will use it when I want to.
Get 2 X1's then run both.
Jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #3733
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to D Hunt 3

Anyone know if a Proline Kyosho 777 body will work on the Jammin and not look bad? I realize the mounting holes will be off, but I need to know if length width and it looking decent is there. Thanks.
D Hunt 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #3734
Tech Elite

Not sure if it helps but I am using the Mugen ody on mine. It sit's a little taller but it's a little tighter on the side.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #3735
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
just use a lil bit of lock tite...i had the same problem, and a dab of lock tite fixed me up...
I lock tite"d" the crap out of it, and still came out. Lock tite had the screw stuck in the collar though.

Thinking about changing back to the bolts come up through the hub and putting a nut on the end. Instead of my current threading a screw into the hub.

Thanks
Takt is offline   Reply With Quote