R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-20-2004, 10:26 AM   #136
Tech Elite

It may fit on the car, but not correctly. The only bodies I know that fit the X-1 close to correctly are the Kyosho 777 bodies, and you'll have to trim the front of the body out to clear the bellcranks.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #137
Tech Adept

Default Just ordered an X1 - more questions

It should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll be racing it Sunday. I'll be running a WS7II w/ofna 063 pipe, RB long header and Mugen aluminum shoes and 1.1 springs, Novak XXtra receiver and 2 Airtronics 94358 servos on a highly technical track.
1. Any building tips?
2. What doesn't come in the kit that I'll need?
Any other advice?
I was told that the pre-painted bodies will be $50! Wow! That's a bit steep!
slrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 06:52 PM   #138
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MMor101
Default Re: Just ordered an X1 - more questions

Quote:
Originally posted by slrguy
It should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll be racing it Sunday. I'll be running a WS7II w/ofna 063 pipe, RB long header and Mugen aluminum shoes and 1.1 springs, Novak XXtra receiver and 2 Airtronics 94358 servos on a highly technical track.
1. Any building tips?
2. What doesn't come in the kit that I'll need?
Any other advice?
I was told that the pre-painted bodies will be $50! Wow! That's a bit steep!
I've heard that the brakes fade like crazy if there hit with fuel. Get some Craddocks there like 5 bucks for a pair.
MMor101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:26 AM   #139
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Just ordered an X1 - more questions

Quote:
Originally posted by MMor101
I've heard that the brakes fade like crazy if there hit with fuel. Get some Craddocks there like 5 bucks for a pair.
What are Craddocks and whose got them?
Old 12-21-2004, 05:16 AM   #140
Tech Regular

Craddocks are a company that makes fiber brakes that have virtually no fade. There awesome. www.amainhobbies.com has them.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:42 AM   #141
Tech Elite

Jammin' is selling their own no-fade brakes as well. I have been running the stock brakes..haven't put the new ones on yet, hahaha.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:29 PM   #142
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
Jammin' is selling their own no-fade brakes as well. I have been running the stock brakes..haven't put the new ones on yet, hahaha.
Can I see where you get them?
Old 12-21-2004, 01:47 PM   #143
Tech Adept

Yeah, Aaron, where can you get those brakes? And, when will replacement parts be available for the X1 Pro? Something that has always bugged me is the time from the release of a new kit to when parts are available. I hope Ofna will do better than most. I just got my X1 Pro today and am currently building it. I hope to run it this weekend. I don't know anyone with parts for this buggy so if I break something how long will it take before parts are in the distribution channels and available to someone like me?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #144
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

if your looking for parts try nitrohouse.com they have all the parts
bigl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:37 PM   #145
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by bigl
if your looking for parts try nitrohouse.com they have all the parts
Thanks bigl! No matter how hard you try to be careful, stuff breaks. It's nice to know where replacement parts are available.
This thing is going together really smooth. I'm impressed!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:09 AM   #146
Tech Elite

They did a bomb job of putting the kit together, everything is easy to assemble and the quality of the parts are second to none.

Spare parts should be available everywhere the car is sold; OFNA has the parts (as far as I know), the shops just need to order them!
Old 12-22-2004, 03:48 PM   #147
Tech Regular

I've heard the stock engine mount is one of its weak points. Think its worth getting the one-piece mount?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:35 AM   #148
Tech Elite

The stock engine mounts are pretty typical, and there's really not a problem other than I think it can be a pain to get the nuts and everything lined up. They do their job very well, no problems.

The one piece engine mount is super dope..and it stiffens the chassis quite a bit.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:43 PM   #149
Tech Adept

Default Comments on assembly

I've been racing 2 Sportwerks Mayhems since August. The Mayhem comes pre-assembled so this is my 1st buggy kit build from scratch.
Pros:
1. The quality of the parts is top rate. Fit and finish is 1st class.
2. The instructions are easy to follow.
3. I like the part #s shown for each part on each step. This makes it easy to locate a particular part.
4. Most parts are beefier than my Mayhem. A arms and rod ends are particularly stout.
5. I REALLY like the springs for the brakes pads. These are little springs that fit between the calipers on the quad brake system that force the calipers away from the discs when you are not on the brake. AAA++++ for that one.
6. The fuel filter is top rate with an included center stone type filter instead of the more normal screen type.
7. The included OFNA Ripper tires fit perfectly on the included OFNA rims. This has got to be the best fit of any tire/rim combo I've tried to date.
8. All aluminum parts are hard coated.

Cons:
1. The numbered bags bear no relationship to the building instruction. Other manufactures, most notably XRAY got it right with bagging parts that correspond to the instruction level.
2. Instead of a free radion bag, give us pre-mounted Ripper tires. Most of us already have a radio bag. Mounting tires is a pain and I can never get the balance as good as the factor pre-mounted tires.
3. The "B" version of the throttle servo linkage needs work. The parts don't fit together properly. The center to center distance of the holes in part #3080 is different than the servo arm it mounts to and requires modification.
4. The manual is stapled together and looks like a last minute effort.
5. There are no part numbers listed for optional parts like the threaded hinge pins, the one piece engine mount, the different diameter sway bars, the threaded hinge pins with the relieved area to reduce friction or the optional rear toe-in blocks.
6. There are no setup recommendations. Not all of us are expert racers. It would be nice to have a discussion of the adjustments available on the X1 Pro and how they affect handling. The Mayhem manual has this.
7. The rear body hold down post should have the body clip hole oriented perpendicular to the chassis center line.
8. The battery compartment should be longer to accommodate 5 cell flat packs. 5 cell flat packs help keep CG lower.
9. The tuned pipe stinger guard is an after thought. It should have been designed into the left stone guard. I had to reposition it to fit my particular engine, pipe configuration.
10. The antenna pipe has to be upgraded. It's too stiff and just isn't up to the quality of this buggy.
11. The O ring for the spring adjustment ring is too tight. This make adjusting ride height a real pain. If you turn the ring by itself, you're likely to turn the entire shock body, loosening the cap in the process.

I have'nt run the X1 pro yet but hope to on Sunday.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:58 PM   #150
Tech Regular

slrguy, I'm building my X1 now. I haven't got to the linkage part yet, but about the battery. Most 8th scale buggys run the hump packs, the only one ive seen run the flat one is the old MBX-4. Reguarding setup I would run the B blocks and run 5,7,1K oil in the diffs. Nitrohouse has all the X1 hop-ups so there really is no need for part #'s. I think there isn't any part #'s because the parts werent even realesed yet when the manual was made. The threaded shock bodies werent that good of idea, they will get all jammed with dirt. Flip the metal ring around and run kyosho preload spacers. I had no problem with the bag #'s and this is my first build aswell but I have torn down my other MBX-5. I agree with you about the premounted tires, they should have done that.

Use this setup: http://www.jamminproducts.com/x1supAD.pdf