Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions: First offroad

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Suggestions: First offroad

Gday everyone,

Im going to buy my first RC soon and looking at an offroad nitro. Can someone please give me some suggestions on what cars to look at?
- I will be driving on sand and gravel
- Doing small jumps
- Have a price range around $400

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-4WD-RTR-Buggy
Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Great car to have some fun with.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you don't intend on racing look into electric. Gravel is fine but if any sand gets past the air filter on a nitro it can kill the motor
Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Ofna Ultra LX-2 ($300 most places). Don't have one myself, but those Ofna buggies are TOUGH for the money. I had a LX-1 as my first 1/8th scale off-road vehicle. It was a serious basher, and it allowed me to see if I liked 1/8th scale racing without dropping a bunch of cash. It will not perform as well on the track as the higher priced nitro buggies out there, but you will have fun with it and can dabble in racing if you wish.

If you have no intentions of ever racing, get an HPI Savage. Might be a little over your price range ($480 on A-Main), but i've never heard any Savage owners say that they wish they hadn't bought a Savage.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

If you want a buggy go with the losi 810 for bashing
Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up I agree

Originally Posted by bboard
If you don't intend on racing look into electric. Gravel is fine but if any sand gets past the air filter on a nitro it can kill the motor
I live by the beach and I took my nitro buggy out there once, once..It was a mess, the bearings locked up, everything rusted..

I recommend getting a 2wd electric buggy, like a ready to run rc10..

They don't cost that much rtr, but you could get a good charger and some extra batteries and motors and bearings especially. Whatever you get order some AVID bearings to replace them fairly often...

The 2wd buggies move really nice on sand. they glide, and you could get some tires with lots of lugs or big spikes and it will work awesome on the sand....

That will be a great fun car with less bearings than a 4wd. and less metal than a nitro...

Later on you can get a nitro for racing if you choose, but trust me a 2wd buggy on sand is really fun.....
Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bboard
Boo.. Five years and a dozen nitro engines, I've never lost an engine to gravel..

Also, as if electric motors and esc's and such don't just die - and for no good reason..

Not to mention that electric is just excruciatingly lame compared to nitro.. While we're on opinions..

Losi 10-T maybe also worth a look.. Check out www.overdriverc.com - He usually has great prices on Losi stuff. The 10-T is the same chassis, etc.. as the 810 buggy, but it's a truggy, so the bigger tires will make it more versatile and better for jumping..

EDIT - Sorry merdith6, not trying to argue or be a jerk.., but a nitro Losi 10-T would be ten times more fun and exciting than a 2WD elo-buggy..
Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Default It's cool

He did say a nitro...So. I'm not worried about the engine, they can take it..

I'd say check out the rc10's, but if they just seem lame, then absolutely, go for a rtr buggy. I freakin love nitro.....It may have been rusty from the beach but it was a blast......

So what cars does he have to choose from? truggy, Buggy, Losi rtr, they have a rtr truggy? cool. I was just thinkin for 400 bucks the 1/8th scale may be pushing the price barrier, and that pull start is irritating.....They always break-in.....
Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

The 10-T is a 1/10 truggy. Might exceed the budget a tad - but it's a pretty top-notch setup.. For the beach an MGT or Savage or Aftershock MT is probably worth a look too.. Buggy, truggy, MT - lots of options.. Truggy though is probably a good idea, cuz it offers the best of both(buggy and MT) worlds..
Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Woooaahhhh! loving all the replies guys, cheers.

Don't electric only last a short time before having to charge them for a long time? This is why im heading towards nitro because you can just fill it back up and keep going.

And no im not looking at racing, purely just to have fun with.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BleedGreen
Woooaahhhh! loving all the replies guys, cheers.

Don't electric only last a short time before having to charge them for a long time? This is why im heading towards nitro because you can just fill it back up and keep going.

And no im not looking at racing, purely just to have fun with.
With an SC10 Brushless, and a 5000mah lipo I imagine you could get around 20-25 minutes of runtime. Buy 2 lipos and you can get a bit of a swap in between the 2 going and it will definitely limit your downtime.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Default yep

A shorbus is ok, they would be cool on sand, but you may want to gear it down just a bit so the motor stays at an acceptable temp, sand can heat things up a bit....but yes, the new batteries are amazing.....they charge fast, don't get nearly as hot, and are lighter than nimh...

The traxxas short bus is a nice deal and they will replace ur burnt esc if you treat it with respect...

I say get a rtr brushless rc10b4 and 2 really nice lipo batteries and an extra motor and tires....and tools....

It will last forever. I still have my original rc10 world car. from 1991 i think...

It was taken care of and rebuilt a few times but dang 20 years. That short bus won't last that long......esp traxxas.....
Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Boo.. Five years and a dozen nitro engines, I've never lost an engine to gravel..

Also, as if electric motors and esc's and such don't just die - and for no good reason..

Not to mention that electric is just excruciatingly lame compared to nitro.. While we're on opinions..

Losi 10-T maybe also worth a look.. Check out www.overdriverc.com - He usually has great prices on Losi stuff. The 10-T is the same chassis, etc.. as the 810 buggy, but it's a truggy, so the bigger tires will make it more versatile and better for jumping..

EDIT - Sorry merdith6, not trying to argue or be a jerk.., but a nitro Losi 10-T would be ten times more fun and exciting than a 2WD elo-buggy..
SAND is what I said will kill a nitro not gravel. Have to agree with the Ten-T, its a great platform, but its also available in a E version if you want to go that way
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default first O/F nitro

Let me tell you,i was asking the same question 4 months ago.If this is your first nitro buy used,you can get them on craigslist for under $100 complete.I actually getting a redcat volcano s30 complete for $40 in the morning,yeah yeah,i know redcats arent great,but for $40 buck i get the truck,radio,glow strarter and charger and 1gal of fuel.My point is if your just bashing and not racing you can find a soild used one that will fit your needs and keep some coin in your pocket.As far as style goes,i like the 4x4 truck and truggies.Also if this is your first rc you may not like nitro,i will tell you though,dont listen to all the nitro haters,the are simple machines.Keep them clean is very important,and listen to the car/truck it will tell you what to do(my Mr.Migue moment) as far as tuning goes,temp gun helps too.Good luck and have fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.