Wiki Posts
Search

flywheel tappered fit? bearing help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default flywheel tappered fit? bearing help

hey there i have a .28 engine which is on a lrp buggy. just has engine written on the head and side.

just wondering if all flywheels are held on just be a tappered fit or can they be held on some other way. i cant get it off.

also i have removed the backplate and can see the crank and conrod. the bearing i can see on the other side of them does that come out from the flywheel side or the back plate side sorry if that seems like a dumb question.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Tech Regular

The flywheel is only held in place by the nut. The nut press the flywheel on to the tapered cone. Thats it.
If you have problems try to heat the flywheel with a heatgun to aprox 150-200F and then gently gently tap on the edges all around it til it comes off.
If nothing works you have to buy one of these

There are two bearings inside the engine, one right behind the flywheel and that goes out the front (flywheel side). There is a bigger one inside the engine that you can see from that back plate side. That one goes out the back (back plate side).
To remove the bearings you have to heat the engine and gently tap them out.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Taper fits r quite a thing. They hold better then putting a nut on sometimes. Either get yourself a flywheel puller or like tap around the edges.