Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
One of new buggies >

One of new buggies

One of new buggies

Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Out of the buggies you have listed I would sway towards either the Agama or Serpent. I've got the Agama and in terms of durability and adjustability it's fantastic. I also recently had a close look at a Serpent and it's a great buggy too, fine little details that help a racer that you don't find on other buggies.

I had the same dilemma before I purchased the Agama as you did. It was between the Agama and Serpent. I actually spoke to a Cobra 811 racer at the time and he was very honest with me. He said don't think about it too much, either buggy is capable of winning and strong. So the thing that tipped me at the time to go with the Agama was that the Serpent had a few issues with its radio tray. But since then V2 of the radio has been released and most of the issues resolved.

If I was choosing between the two right now it would be a lot harder. I'd possibly go Agama again maybe, but not sure. Quality on both is par. Agama has the nice adjustability of running weight forward or back with the different rx battery placement. On the other hand I slightly prefer the Serpents drive-train. Serpent also has a lot more hop-up parts, not that you need them all. But they are there if you feel like spending a small fortune on your hobby lol.

Go the Agama ... no wait go the Serpent .... no go Agama ... ahhhhrrrrrrr ... Honestly both are great, flip a coin and call it a day.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John.

Go the Agama ... no wait go the Serpent .... no go Agama ... ahhhhrrrrrrr ... Honestly both are great, flip a coin and call it a day.
Given his choices, +1
Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Tolga abi

What do you think about S-WORKz S350 ?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
I've talked to Josh from HB about CR8,it wont be out till early next year. Very nice buggy and you will be shocked by maintnece friendly its ganna be. But i prefer Mugen over all you said. The serpent is nice BUT HEAVY, JQ takes alot of work and you have to know how to set up a car to really like it, the Agama looks like it gets sloppy pretty fast but don't look bad, and the Durango looks real cool but seeing how alot buy it then sell it and now Durango is selling with spare arms is a lil fishy. I haven't really looked at a DNX but they do get cut loose real quick.
The Serpent is heavy? Thats news....

Anyways Id also go with either the Agama or the Serpent, seems to be the two cars of the ones you picked that works the best and has the least amount of issues.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Agama or JQ..
the designs of the Serpent and durango are too erratic, resulting in even more tedious maintenance, and most of their parts are just ugly
Also Serpent is too expensive especially in parts, and you need some option parts to be able to drive well
they both are buggys for more expert drivers

Last edited by speedy2; 08-14-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Tech Adept

8IGHT 2.0!!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi8isgr8!
8IGHT 2.0!!!!
Getting slow there fan boy. Took you two pages to show up. Now go away.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wakizashi
Tolga abi

What do you think about S-WORKz S350 ?
HI Ömer, nice to see you here
Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The Serpent is defintely the better car of the 4. Very stable car, my only gripe about the Serpent is that it is much harder to work on than most buggies. People will say no, but compared to my Xray, which is a cakewalk, the serpent takes some effort. Other than that and the funky brakes which take time to setup, the car is great. It is more durable than the other 3, go into the Durango thread and the car is having all kinds of issues.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

I allready begin to read the biggest thread for each buggy on the list. I start with durango and begin to think that I should stay away of it so far but don't want to make my final decision before reading all 400 pages.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've decided to get out of RC and am selling all my gear. If you are interested in a used Serpent 811 buggy with around 2 gallons on it shoot me a PM and i'll let you know what I got.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

The Durango isn't full of issues.some are having tank problems, I haven't.but so did the rc8, Mugen.
I've found the car easy to setup and drive.never tq'd or finished in top 3 till I got the 408!
Just my .02˘
Old 08-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kolunatic
The Durango isn't full of issues.some are having tank problems, I haven't.but so did the rc8, Mugen.
I've found the car easy to setup and drive.never tq'd or finished in top 3 till I got the 408!
Just my .02˘
Maybe your a lucky one. Not saying it wont ever get there since it is new, but until then.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/9448472-post5445.html
Old 08-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

How does the 8ight 2.0 compare to lets a Agama or Serpent.. Same handling characteristics, durablilty, ect?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drs92
How does the 8ight 2.0 compare to lets a Agama or Serpent.. Same handling characteristics, durablilty, ect?
I run an A8 but have also had some time with a friends 8ight 2.0. This is just my opinion. To me they handled very similarly. I think if you like the Losi and did well with it you would also like the Agama and do well with that too. The Agama may have just felt a touch more nimble and accelerated harder, not by a lot though and could have certainly come down to setup. I do prefer the Agama's versatility to move weight around not only with the battery but servos (probably could do that with the Losi too with slight modifications). I also preferred the big bore shocks of the Agama (17mm v 15mm), just more consistent in changing weather conditions.

Agama "fanboys" (Im certainly not one, I appreciated all RC models) don't like to admit it, but there is a lot of Losi in the Agama design. I just feel who ever designed the Agama made slight improvements which gives it the edge IMHO. Love them or hate them Losi came out with a very original design a few years ago and took 1/8th buggy into a newer direction. Some have followed others have not. The Losi is still a very competitive package.

I also believe the Serpent and Durango is a very original design. I mean there is so much of reinventing the wheel you can do right.

Durability wise my Agama is very strong, lot less slop than the Losi with same mileage. But in saying that as the Losi got sloppier it didn't seem to affect it's handling, if anything it got better. Breakages have been only 1 rear carbon tower for me and a front diff casing for the 8eight which was caused by a WOT high speed crash. The crash was so bad I thought there would have been much more damage. But I was surprised to see how much the Losi withstood. From what I've seen it's a tough little buggy.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.