Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Help me decide, E buggy or Nitro truggy? >

Help me decide, E buggy or Nitro truggy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me decide, E buggy or Nitro truggy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Help me decide, E buggy or Nitro truggy?

Ok, i am about to enter another class in a couple weeks. I am down to E buggy or nitro truggy. I want some opinions on what would be better for me. On one hand, if i get the mugen eco, i already have tons of spares and a big tire selection for buggys. I have 2 spare servos but they are in my practice car, so i will need 1 servo, motor/esc combo, reciever, and 2 or three battery packs (i already have a really good charger), and a couple spare parts. If i decide to go nitro truggy (mbx6T) i will have to get 2 servos, quite a bit in spare parts, reciver, a few sets of tires. I have 4 motors, but i would want the O.S. .25. So it is looking like the truggy will be a bit more in price.

So the question comes down to this. Do any of you think the truggy class will start dying off? It seems like it might be a little bit. Does it seem the ebuggy class will keep gaining steam and have a bigger following then truggy in the near future?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

nitro truggy get my vote....faster and nastier then the e-buggies ! piles more fun.... also more versatile if you want to run away from the track......... I absolutely love my truggies and would much rather run them then my buggies
Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

Nitro anything over electric...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

I knew you would say that! My heart is in nitro for sure though, which is why this is hard. some locals at my track are running e buggy. and some have stopped running truggy. I just want to be sure that the truggy class is safe!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

just did the math, will take about 1,600 to get everything i would like to have for truggy and about 1300-1400 for the ebuggy.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dreaux
just did the math, will take about 1,600 to get everything i would like to have for truggy and about 1300-1400 for the ebuggy.
If your decision is based on money, then you have your answer.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

But seriously.. All difficult decisions IMO come down to your gut vs. your head. Always go with your gut..

Unless your gut says electric. Because in that case it's just WRONG.

(JK electric folks..)

But seriously - is there really a future in 1/8 electric racing? I would be more worried about that than truggies.. But then I'm not in the US - or more relevantly, you local track - so who knows..
Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
If your decision is based on money, then you have your answer.
Not really. It just so happens the Eco is cheaper, but I am not basing my decision on that
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'm right there with you.

I'm on my 2nd season racing truggy and love it. I have raced nitro buggy on and off, but my 2011 Xray came in yesterday so I'm committed to that class. A couple of months ago I also got an e buggy and have raced it once.
So I'm at the point where I need to drop a class. I can't really afford to run all 3, I'm a maintenance freak.
Tuggy is a complete blast and we pull full classes around here. Tires are stupid expensive though.
E buggy is fun and I got it because the only track within 90 miles is indoor and electric only. This is the only way I can practice.
Nitro buggy I feel like i need to get serious with if I want to get better. New one is here so I'm committed to this class.

So do I drop truggy for next year and run buggy and e buggy? Drop e buggy and just use it for practice?
I'm not sure. E buggy is fun, but I find it too easy compared to nitro. There's no work, just drop it an go. I also find it's easier to drive. The 1 time I raced mine, I had just gotten it. Buggy showed up to my house Tuesday and I put the electronics in Wednesday. I left Thursday for the RC Pro race and ran 1 battery pack through the buggy in Friday practice. I have never spun a single lap in e buggy before this, I qualified and finished 8th in the A main. That makes me feel like the class is too easy so I'm on the fence with e buggy.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

I'm kind of the opposite. I run nitro truggy as my main class mainly because it is more fun to drive and I like truggies much better. I run e buggy as a second class simply because it is charge and go. That way I don't have to worry about tuning two engines on race day, two clutches, and all the extra work with nitro. Not that I don't think it's worth it, but it makes it easier on me if I have both of my classes right one after another. Plus electric is fun in its own way, the sheer instant power can make it a lot of fun.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

my wife just basically flat out said that i cant get a nitro truggy, it has to be ebuggy

she thinks it will cost us less if i run one eclass and one nitro. She has it in her head that it will be really expensive if i run 2 classes.

This isn't over yet.

might just have to get rid of her
Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
nitro truggy get my vote....faster and nastier then the e-buggies ! piles more fun.... also more versatile if you want to run away from the track......... I absolutely love my truggies and would much rather run them then my buggies
Well put Maximo ! +1 here
Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Muggydude
I'm kind of the opposite. I run nitro truggy as my main class mainly because it is more fun to drive and I like truggies much better. I run e buggy as a second class simply because it is charge and go. That way I don't have to worry about tuning two engines on race day, two clutches, and all the extra work with nitro. Not that I don't think it's worth it, but it makes it easier on me if I have both of my classes right one after another. Plus electric is fun in its own way, the sheer instant power can make it a lot of fun.

+1 Thats exactly what i do! also I will use the ebuggy for practice when i show up to a track just to get the basic layout of the track down. Makes for a great second class to run and easier, just charge and go have fun.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dreaux
Not really. It just so happens the Eco is cheaper, but I am not basing my decision on that
With money ruled out, I wouldn't base the decision on which class will die out. Popularity of a class tends to be regional. Truggys can be down in one area and up in another and then turn around in 6 months. I would think that running two different nitro classes would be more interesting than running a nitro buggy and an electric buggy.

I've run electric SC Pro4 and personally I didn't care for it. But that's just me. I don't care if electric achieves lightspeed, I'm a nitro guy. In the end, it's up to you.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Suspended

i have both and the electric is so gay compared to nitro..jus sayin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.