R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Serpent vs Kyosho

I am in the market for a new buggy and I think I have narrowed it down to the Serpent and the Kyosho TKI2. I am just looking for some honest feedback on the two cars. Price isn't an object, so I know the Kyosho is a bit more expensive. The car will also be electric.

I am really trying to find out how the cars drive, known weak points/flaws, req upgrades if any, etc.

If anyone has experience with both of the cars, your opinions would be much appreciated.

My frame of reference is that I have owned/raced Losi, Xray, Associated, and Hot Bodies. The Xray 808 being my favorite of those in build/quality.

Thanks

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

All I can speak about is the Serpent as I have not owned a Kyosho. I really like my RCM converted 811, and the drawings of the new 811BE are unreal! Are you waiting on the new car or going to convert one?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
I am in the market for a new buggy and I think I have narrowed it down to the Serpent and the Kyosho TKI2. I am just looking for some honest feedback on the two cars. Price isn't an object, so I know the Kyosho is a bit more expensive. The car will also be electric.

I am really trying to find out how the cars drive, known weak points/flaws, req upgrades if any, etc.

If anyone has experience with both of the cars, your opinions would be much appreciated.

My frame of reference is that I have owned/raced Losi, Xray, Associated, and Hot Bodies. The Xray 808 being my favorite of those in build/quality.

Thanks
I have owned and raced both, the kyosho is a little more initially but you will have that much invested in the serpent by the time it is done if not more as I did in both the nitro and electric conversion that I had. I found that the kyosho did everything better at least for my driving style than the serpents.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Alderman View Post
All I can speak about is the Serpent as I have not owned a Kyosho. I really like my RCM converted 811, and the drawings of the new 811BE are unreal! Are you waiting on the new car or going to convert one?
I would say hands down the 811E is going to be awesome.

Also as far as build quality, I would rank the serpent as high or higher then the X-ray.....its that good. I'm still running the same buggy from June of last year.....nothing has been replaced but bearings and the spur gear which has worn down finally...lol
Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Things to consider would be parts availability locally. We have (had) a lot of sponsored racers of Kyosho locally who have/are considering jumping ship. One of which I asked about the Serpent and his reply was well if I was to go to Serpent I might as well stay with Kyosho. Parts availability played a big roll in leaving Kyosho... I currently run Ve8 in electric and honestly really, really like it. I also really like the new CR8 that is coming but am wondering about an electric conversion for it as I don't run nitro either. From what I have seen the new Serpent 811e looks very tempting...Not to mention they should have the truggy e version due.

Not Sponsored by:
Viper | Tekin | Trinity | Serpent | Durango | Gravity RC | Pro-Line | Radiopost
SNIPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzemaxx View Post

Also as far as build quality, I would rank the serpent as high or higher then the X-ray.....its that good. I'm still running the same buggy from June of last year.....nothing has been replaced but bearings and the spur gear which has worn down finally...lol

Seriously? I wouldn't even rank it with the other current buggies on the market as far as build quality, soft screws, bearings that you have to replace out of the box or plan on servicing them often, the suspension binds even after reaming the hingepin holes and numerous other things. I've built alot of kits but the serpent build quality is subpar in my opinion. It is tough I will give it that buy in my opinion they need some serious refinement.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottle RC View Post
Seriously? I wouldn't even rank it with the other current buggies on the market as far as build quality, soft screws, bearings that you have to replace out of the box or plan on servicing them often, the suspension binds even after reaming the hingepin holes and numerous other things. I've built alot of kits but the serpent build quality is subpar in my opinion. It is tough I will give it that buy in my opinion they need some serious refinement.
I woulld agree with you on the 1st gen buggy but the truggy is whole different ball game everything is spot on
Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Tech Elite

I will probably wait until the electric Serpent comes out if I got that route. It does look interesting.

Parts availability really isn't a issue for me. I basically have to order everything online anyway, so as long as A-Main, Ebay or other shops have stuff, not a big deal imho.

I really haven't seen too many other cars that are close to the Xray in terms of refinement. My buddy has as mugen and likes it and says it is pretty close to the Xray in terms of quality (he owned an 808 and I trust his opinion). The Kyosho also looks very refined which was why I was considering it.

My biggest beef with cars are crappy plastic, screws, and having to buy a ton of upgrades. My 808 was a tank and didn't have a single upgrade. In 3 years, I literally have only broken like one diff case and one bearing carrier. Both my fault. The Losi, RC8, and ve8 just aren't in the same league quality wise. They all drive well, but the plastics/construction just leave a lot to be desired imho.

I like stuff done right, not good enough so I put a lot of emphasis on build quality. I know other cars drive well, but I don't like my cars to get sloppy and need constant replacement of worn parts.

It sounds like the Serpent is similar to the Losi Eight?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Heres a completely unbiased view from an ex Kyosho driver and a current Serpent driver.

WideOpenThrottle RC is completely correct in saying the buildquality of the Serpent is subpar to alot of other brands. It just is.
It takes experience, patience and skill to get the most of the 811 but when you do, and you finally get it going for real, it will never let you down. Serpent cars are made as race cars from the ground up. Nothing on these cars are made to be easy to work on, easy to use or even "made like this because thats how its always been".

Kyosho however if you get the TKI2 WC, it is expensive, but its also the best equiped car on the market today. The design is well proven and has been devolped and perfected from the MP7,5 for over 10 years so its bound to be a problem free easy to use car.
Dont go look too much at the purchase price either. The MP9 is expensive but doesnt require additional options. The serpent is cheap but its barely drivable out of the box and requires a few extras to perform.

All in all its a matter of personal preference. If you want a fast reliable easy to use car with good quality then get the Kyosho.
If you want a proper race car that actualy takes knowledge and skill to get the most of. That really responds to setupchanges and thats built with innovation and performance in mind then get the Serpent.
I do think that it takes a certain kind of man to enjoy the Serpent though, it all depends on if youre such a man
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzemaxx View Post

i have had the same spur gear on my mugen for 3 years and just about no wear

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
Heres a completely unbiased view from an ex Kyosho driver and a current Serpent driver.

WideOpenThrottle RC is completely correct in saying the buildquality of the Serpent is subpar to alot of other brands. It just is.
It takes experience, patience and skill to get the most of the 811 but when you do, and you finally get it going for real, it will never let you down. Serpent cars are made as race cars from the ground up. Nothing on these cars are made to be easy to work on, easy to use or even "made like this because thats how its always been".

Kyosho however if you get the TKI2 WC, it is expensive, but its also the best equiped car on the market today. The design is well proven and has been devolped and perfected from the MP7,5 for over 10 years so its bound to be a problem free easy to use car.
Dont go look too much at the purchase price either. The MP9 is expensive but doesnt require additional options. The serpent is cheap but its barely drivable out of the box and requires a few extras to perform.

All in all its a matter of personal preference. If you want a fast reliable easy to use car with good quality then get the Kyosho.
If you want a proper race car that actualy takes knowledge and skill to get the most of. That really responds to setupchanges and thats built with innovation and performance in mind then get the Serpent.
I do think that it takes a certain kind of man to enjoy the Serpent though, it all depends on if youre such a man
What makes the serpent a PROPER RACE CAR over the kyosho????? I have had both and.I would not own another serpent
Jammin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
i have had the same spur gear on my mugen for 3 years and just about no wear
Yeah....my mugen MBX6 never wore them either. That's cause it was usually down to broken front arms.....
Old 06-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin57 View Post
What makes the serpent a PROPER RACE CAR over the kyosho????? I have had both and.I would not own another serpent
Might have come out a bit wrong but what I ment was. Look at real racecars for example. Theyre complicated, hard to use, requires proper setups.
The kyosho is very userfriendly and is a good car even for a beginner. Where as the Serpent requires some knowledge and experience to get the most of. Not because of bad quality but because of the complicated design. The same goes for Durango.
Futaba 4PK
Old 06-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
Tech Elite

I'm definitely no setup guru, so the Kyosho sounds better for me as I need easy to drive. I like to push my car and drive kind of aggressive, so I need a pretty stable platform that is more forgiving of the errors a weekend hack with not a lot of time for practice makes on the track.

Are there any known weak spots on the Kyosho? Any modifications that I have to make?

Old 06-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
I'm definitely no setup guru, so the Kyosho sounds better for me as I need easy to drive. I like to push my car and drive kind of aggressive, so I need a pretty stable platform that is more forgiving of the errors a weekend hack with not a lot of time for practice makes on the track.

Are there any known weak spots on the Kyosho? Any modifications that I have to make?
Well the good thing with the Serpent is that setup changes are easely noticable. Means you can easier finetune it to your liking.
Ive had cars where you could change the camber several degrees or run up to 2000 cst thicker oil in the diffs and it barely made any difference in the performance of the car.
Futaba 4PK