R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
Might have come out a bit wrong but what I ment was. Look at real racecars for example. Theyre complicated, hard to use, requires proper setups.
The kyosho is very userfriendly and is a good car even for a beginner. Where as the Serpent requires some knowledge and experience to get the most of. Not because of bad quality but because of the complicated design. The same goes for Durango.
All the cars available today are all basically the same the only REAL difference is how the servos, center diff, and brakes are mounted and all the new cars such as the durango and serpent cars that have odd ways of mounted throttle servos and the way the brakes are mounted is just more of a chance of something going wrong so I don't see how that is a advantage over the kyosho car
Jammin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin57 View Post
All the cars available today are all basically the same the only REAL difference is how the servos, center diff, and brakes are mounted and all the new cars such as the durango and serpent cars that have odd ways of mounted throttle servos and the way the brakes are mounted is just more of a chance of something going wrong so I don't see how that is a advantage over the kyosho car
the Serpent is completely different to the Kyosho.
The entire radioplate is different from any other car.
The diffhouses and the gears and pinions have a different style not seen on any other car that I know of
The brakesystem is also completely different. Im not saying this one is better though, it is easier to setup and more consistent but at the same time the adjustability is lower.
The swaybar mountings are completely different with bearings.
The steering assemble is completely different.

I could probably go on. Yes all cars have 3 diffs and theyre basicly at the same place. The engine and fueltank is basicly in the same place on all cars but thats pretty much it.
Both the Durango and the Serpent are more complicated technicaly than the more oldschool kind of design like the Kyosho and Team Associated. Not saying its better just saying it is
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Serpent copied the diff setup from the xray 808 and had problems out of the 2 bearing diff coupler so they made a 3 bearing coupler just like xray did and xray finally went back to a standard diff setup because it works and serpent copied the front end of the 8ight and the 2 different brake bias setting is not a great ideal and the long rods used for the throttle and brakes on the serpent is just more of a chance of something going wrong during a race, I am not knocking the serpent car but to say it is so different and better than the kyosho is just false
Jammin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

At the risk of posting in a "this VS. that" thread. Here is my experience with the Serpent.

This is my first buggy mind you, and I was looking for a good quality kit without blowing my budget..too much I was kind of disappointed as Serpent raised their price by $50 right before I ordered, but oh well small price to pay. I initially bought the buggy and told myself i'd run it stock for a while before buying any hopups. I lied to myself, and decided to start out with one of the team drivers setup posted in the 811 thread. Glad I did, because it drives very well, and from what I hear from other drivers, they have come up with newer better setups.

I've beat the HELL out of this buggy and i've broke 1 wing mount, 1 wing, trashed a body, slightly tweeked a front turnbuckle, and had a fuel tank go south on me. Also stripped a few screws, recently broke the front shock tower, and started to replace bearings with another brand although I havn't had any get destroyed yet. You might look at this list and say that is a lot, but you havn't seen me drive! I'm getting better though.

I've upgraded to the aluminum chassis braces because this thing has a ton of flex to it. And besides basic setup items like swaybars, springs, and shock pistons it drives great when i'm not on my lid.

I'm a little over a gallon and all the drivetrain parts have zero wear.

I'm happy I chose the 811 as the support from the team guys is great, and finding parts is easy. I can think of 3 big online shops off the top of my head that you can get everything from.

I would have liked to try the Kyosho but the initial price was a too steep for me. Although maybe i'll get to drive someone's at the track and see what I think.
one8updragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I currently own the v2 Serpent buggy but came from the OD (and before that the MP7.5). It has just over 1 gallon on it and the only thing I've broken is an inner rear wheel bearing. I spent almost enough money on "upgrades" to equal the price of the MP9, but honestly they were mostly tuning options that I would have purchased for the MP9 as well.

The main reason I chose the Serpent was that another local racer was going to switch from a Mugen (which he did). I knew that it required a fair amount of maintenance to keep in peak performance though I have not tried extending the interval to see if it's true. I did not choose the MP9 because no one else drives it locally, and to a lesser extent I was looking for something "different".

Pick what your heart desires and spend your hard-earned money how you see fit. Otherwise you are likely to regret your decision.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

I've owned mugen, xray, Durango, losi, and serpent. They quality of parts of the serpent is of xray quality, but the fit and instructions are under par. Like all kits, serpent has their issues. In regards of setup, it seems that chad setup is pretty bullet proof. The drive of the serpent is one of the best buggies I have ever driven, if not the best. Like folks have said, the serpent requires experience. Reason being is due to horrible/incorrect instructions. If the instructions had more details without any errors, this buggy would be more user friendly to the avg Jo blow.

I never owned a kyosho, but my friend has one. The drive on this car is on par with the serpent. Looking at the parts, you will get more upgrades with the kyosho.

The serpent would require more work. But once it's done, it's great on the track.
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin57 View Post
Serpent copied the diff setup from the xray 808 and had problems out of the 2 bearing diff coupler so they made a 3 bearing coupler just like xray did and xray finally went back to a standard diff setup because it works and serpent copied the front end of the 8ight and the 2 different brake bias setting is not a great ideal and the long rods used for the throttle and brakes on the serpent is just more of a chance of something going wrong during a race, I am not knocking the serpent car but to say it is so different and better than the kyosho is just false
i would agree with that one... i used to drive a MBX6... but as soon as the 811 was available on market, i switch to it. there are two things... first, yes it is very fast especially during cornering. lap times are significant. but unfortunately, the two bearings for the rear pinion gear keeps on failing. even fried 5 servos. can top the time sheets during qualifying but always a DNF on mains. total heart breaker. as they say in motor sports, there are no points in qualifying. so i switch back to a mbx6. might not as quick as the 811, but definitely more reliable. IMHO
Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAKIN View Post
i would agree with that one... i used to drive a MBX6... but as soon as the 811 was available on market, i switch to it. there are two things... first, yes it is very fast especially during cornering. lap times are significant. but unfortunately, the two bearings for the rear pinion gear keeps on failing. even fried 5 servos. can top the time sheets during qualifying but always a DNF on mains. total heart breaker. as they say in motor sports, there are no points in qualifying. so i switch back to a mbx6. might not as quick as the 811, but definitely more reliable. IMHO
Both of those issues has been fixed since. And it didnt take 2 years unlike some other companies.

The thing is, the 811 is a brand new car. Serpent hasnt made any offroad cars since the early 90s, so ofcourse its bound to have problems the first few years.
Futaba 4PK
Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Both of those issues has been fixed since. And it didnt take 2 years unlike some other companies.

The thing is, the 811 is a brand new car. Serpent hasnt made any offroad cars since the early 90s, so ofcourse its bound to have problems the first few years.
Besides the bearing couplers and the radio tray what other issues does the serpent have? I see that serpent fixed these quickly and offered the radio tray to all without any charge whatsoever. So what other issues are there? I am new to serpent and I'm curious.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:

you guys forget regardless of when the last time they released an offroad car, its 9/10 chance the car has short comings due to the company trying to do things the fastest way possible (read cheapest) any manufactuer could release a near perfect car. i know because i design products a my job that are built to spec and have no problems. r&d plays a huge role in this..

in an xtreme r/c mag a few years ago, the designers over at AE said the only down fall to their company is the fact they aren't a private company anymore..

if Billy would've let a few other people (B Team drivers) run the cobra before he released leased it, they could've saved alot of heartache
Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Besides the bearing couplers and the radio tray what other issues does the serpent have? I see that serpent fixed these quickly and offered the radio tray to all without any charge whatsoever. So what other issues are there? I am new to serpent and I'm curious.
Ive had some issues with leaking shocks but it doesnt seem to be that common.

Some people have been saying the plastic bushing in the shockcap has been wearing out too fast aswell. Fortunately the shockcaps has been upgraded to reduce wear.

Those are both minor things though, the two big issues has been fixed with the Evo kit.

There hasnt really been any big issues with the car other than that. The main thing to look out for when getting your kit is read through the 811 thread here and find advice for how to build it, cause the manual really needs reworking.
Futaba 4PK
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post

you guys forget regardless of when the last time they released an offroad car, its 9/10 chance the car has short comings due to the company trying to do things the fastest way possible (read cheapest) any manufactuer could release a near perfect car. i know because i design products a my job that are built to spec and have no problems. r&d plays a huge role in this..

in an xtreme r/c mag a few years ago, the designers over at AE said the only down fall to their company is the fact they aren't a private company anymore..

if Billy would've let a few other people (B Team drivers) run the cobra before he released leased it, they could've saved alot of heartache
Yes Im sure. I think they figured itd be better to launch the car earlier and then release the fixes for free once they come up.
I remember when Odonnell first announced they were making a buggy. Took several years before it was finally launched and alot of people that had planned to get it finally jumped ship and got other cars cause it was so late.
Futaba 4PK
Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

I'm thinking about going from losi to serpent. But what upgrade parts will i need to make the serpent drive able.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortega95 View Post
I'm thinking about going from losi to serpent. But what upgrade parts will i need to make the serpent drive able.
Nothing is needed.....just tuning options....and all depends on the surface you run.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortega95 View Post
Id say the aluminium wing mount (cheap). The front and rear (rear being more important) aluminium chassibraces are also recommended. The front carbon fiber shocktower isnt very good but Id drive it until it breaks and then get the aluminium.
Futaba 4PK