R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #31
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For what its worth, If you do want to use a debonder to remove tires and or excess glue, Super Solvent from Golden West (I think I got it from Tower) is the best debonder I have ever used. I had brand new tires and a foam blew out. With Super Solvent the glue goes stringy like cheese on a good pizza and it rubs off of the rim and tire to leave both surfaces clean. It took some elbow grease but I was amazed at how well and fast it worked after the disappointing results I had in the past. When you guys use the heat and/or acetone to remove tires is there a second step needed to get the old glue off of the tire or rim?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordarrow View Post
The best way....by far....is to remove said wheels with tires mounted from car/truck....toss with aplomb into nearest rubbish container.

Your time is evidently FAR less valuable than mine. Perhaps you kids will get there one day.
Naaaaa......and be a *** like you.....no thanks!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBite View Post
Acetone is the only way to go. Cut the tire off leaving only the rubber on the bead, and you can literally peel the rubber/glue off, wipe the wheel down and glue on fresh kicks
+1 if your trying to save the Rims, plus your left with a 100% Clean Surface Minus ALL glue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post
I think that putting them in the oven is one of the best ways to remove tyres. You can also boil them or use CA debonder, but I don't know if the latter product would harm the inserts, so I stick to the oven
Oven baking results in Glue bring left behind which Dries to a Crusty mess which is require to be cleaned up If your trying to re-use either part. Acetone while it may take a little longer, requires Zero effort on your Part. No Stinky Kitchen, and a Perfectly clean part to work with.

Also Aka and other similar foams CAN NOT be Baked, you will Cook the essential Oils right out of the foam and be left with a Hard Shrunken Foam that is Useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienModified View Post
Tried acetone for three days, didn't work. Boiled them for 15 minutes, peeled them right off the rims, saved the rims and the tires.

Did you soak the tires or Float them in the Acetone ? In the past ive boiled for Hours with Zero results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Black View Post
I need a method to remove tire from the rim so i can reuse the tires on different rims.

Float the tires in the Acetone, Just 1" or so above it and let em sit for a week, They Will peel right off and you can remove the foam from the one Side. Then your Free to Soak away and save both tire and rim with a 100% clean surface to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losimoe View Post
heat gun mate. just heat all around the bead and peel off. i saw this on you tube and give it a shot. it works well. a lot faster then the oven method and you dont sink up the whole house.

This is essentially the same as the oven method and will damage the foams (Pending brand)
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #34
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do not forget to wear gloves when griping the hot ruber
Old 02-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

the best way by far is to soak the tires in acetone. Cut the tires off the rim without damaging the foam, then soak the rims with the bead of rubber in a bucket of acetone. You can't let them float they have to be under the level of acetone. Give it a day or two and the rubber slides right off with no residue leaving a nice clean rim.
jurquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #36
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurquhart View Post
the best way by far is to soak the tires in acetone. Cut the tires off the rim without damaging the foam, then soak the rims with the bead of rubber in a bucket of acetone. You can't let them float they have to be under the level of acetone. Give it a day or two and the rubber slides right off with no residue leaving a nice clean rim.

Why would you say You Cant float them ? That's How i Dismount IF cutting the tire isn't an option and it works just Dandy. Ya it takes a little longer, But if your in Such a Rush you really should be just buying new to begin with.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Just did a set yesterday, and acetone is definitely the way to go! You ca either submerge the bead in acetone or put them in a sealed container and the fumes will do the work. Submerged it only takes about 5-6 hours and the rubber literally falls off the rim and cleans up completely. Set it, forget it, remove it, mount them up good as new!!
Team RcRenew...visit us at rcrenew.com!
Triton RC Alpha Plus Engines
rcgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by the daddy View Post
microwave
Ok,ok, my turn: flamethrower