R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

People race what they can get access to....if Kortz raced locally at my track...I might consider running what he runs for his knowledge and availability to me. Some tracks are mostly Losi...or Mugen...or <fill in your brand here>

Can brands don't matter all that much. They are all durable in the end, just depends on how much YOU crash or beat on it.

Pick a car that you can get a local parts supply for, or can afford to buy a second kit for parts. It will help you in the end. They are all perfectly drivable at the club level and beyond.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

lot of kyosho's showing up at our track lately. Never thought i would see that happen. They seem to drive very well

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

[QUOTE=mattvictor;9234995]I've been racing a Jammin x1 for about 5 years now. I've been dedicated to this car 4 it's durability performance and my supply of parts for serious racing . but as this car is now obsolete ,and nearly impossible to find parts for ,I need to get into a new car . I'm looking for durability cost efficiency and performance ,probably in that order ,lol. I would really like some feedback from any serious racers who have driven the ofna hyper 9 2.0 and or the hyperstar, as I'm kinda stuck on knowing ofna and their inventory. the only thing here is that I understand my car had a different manufacturer than the hypers , Hong Nor vs. Ho Bao. with all the choices of new cars and manufacturers out there , I have obviously look into the losis to the JQ, and everything in between . they are all very expensive once the hop up parts are added . so anyone please feel free to give me any advice on any other cars and the reasons why , but most importantly , I'd like the advice of a real talented racer on the 2 hyper cars I spoke of. would I be happy with how competitive these cars are compared to the Jammin X1, and importantly the durability . my old car is a tank as you know and I believe that to be the 1 of the most redeeming qualities . but now I want to be able to drive a car more aggressively on power ,and it seems almost all the new cars can .I guess that's a mouthful but thank you and I appreciate any feedback .[/QUOTE

I would recommend the the Agama A8 Evo. My opinion is a little biased as I'm a factory driver for them but I can say this is one heck of a car. Right out of the box I was comfortable and as fast with it as I was with my previous car. With in 5 mins of driving I was up to speed. The car is very durable and the build is smooth. The customer service is great as well. There's a good amount of Agama guys in the forum that will help. If your looking for a pre built never ran car theres a shop online who has one for sale. Retail on these cars 449.99
Josh Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
Tech Rookie

well okay guys remember I'm new here ,and I guess this is how forums go here.
so after a lot of back and forth ,I still haven't heard from a serious racer who has pulled trigger driving a hyper 9 2.0or the new hyperstar . I'm particularly concerned with that car because of the pillow ball suspension ,and how durable it is ... not just running around the track but in a wreck .this may sound funny after all the previous back and forth but I also happened to be good friends with Kortz and jammin jay .it's hard to get jeremy's feedback on any other car because he drive just the hyper ,and jay is very happy driving is full scale buggy ,not doing much rc racing . so please I'll break it down to basics again ,I want to know from the real racer who has driven a hyper start or hyper 9 2.0 if I would be happy driving any of those cars at a competitive level after driving my jammin after all these years . and of course I know what cars like Kyosho can do but they are out of my price range . I hope that narrows things down again .
mattvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm not saying the cars are bad, not saying that at all! Most of my statement is based around the problem of finding parts support for those cars. I would say the majority of tracks aside from cali you don't find many ofna/Jammin.

I guess it just comes from your exposure, seriously you will virtually never see ofna and jammin cars anymore on the east coast.

Xray - RCAmerica

XB8 2017 - XB8E 2017
pl_unc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I used to be on the ofna-hobao B team. The car has good points and bad points. Good points it steers well its light and nimble great acceleration most importantly pretty darn durable. Bad things were i could never get the diffs to stop leaking. I tried all the tricks and even talked to Tim Bump about it but couldnt get it figured out but maybe that has changed now. I found that it just wasnt the car for me outdoors and got offered a little better deal thru
O donnell and thats what ive been running for 2yrs now. So if you are a ofna fan i say go for it im sure you will like it.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvictor View Post
well okay guys remember I'm new here ,and I guess this is how forums go here.
so after a lot of back and forth ,I still haven't heard from a serious racer who has pulled trigger driving a hyper 9 2.0or the new hyperstar . I'm particularly concerned with that car because of the pillow ball suspension ,and how durable it is ... not just running around the track but in a wreck .this may sound funny after all the previous back and forth but I also happened to be good friends with Kortz and jammin jay .it's hard to get jeremy's feedback on any other car because he drive just the hyper ,and jay is very happy driving is full scale buggy ,not doing much rc racing . so please I'll break it down to basics again ,I want to know from the real racer who has driven a hyper start or hyper 9 2.0 if I would be happy driving any of those cars at a competitive level after driving my jammin after all these years . and of course I know what cars like Kyosho can do but they are out of my price range . I hope that narrows things down again .
I find pillow ball suspension as a advantage and not a breaking point. I run the mugen mbx6 and pillow ball is there sig lol coming from the ofna family pretty much or vise versa. So honestly dont let that slow you down and durability of car is great on hyper. IDK much more to answer but i do know a major ofna fan boy you can message on youtube. His name is "Squirrelod" he can probably answer any questions you have for the Hyper series vehicles.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

okay I didn't want to be a dork and say it ,but since team orange did ,I can admit that I was on the of the b team as well ,but it was for jammin, and j put me on it . since I took a 2 year hiatus and jammin left in that time , I cant be on the team unless I drive a hyper. no someone mentioned the pillow ball as the signature for mugen. remember they have had years of experience with it .I believe the hyperstar is the first from ofna. please if anyone read this who has a friend who drives a hyperstar , have them please tell me how it drives , keeping in mind that I have driven a jammin X1 basically since I started competitively racing . I am so stuck on that car ,that's when I look at any other car that doesn't have an aluminum front end top plate ,I figure well that's gonna break ,but I think there are a lot of new composites that are changing the industry .for example I saw an hb at RCX that has a complete plastic chassis ,just an aluminum mount for the engine ,and supposedly it's an awesome car . there is also a guy it my track racing a JQ that is super fast but breaks all the time . that is where I am wondering if the hyperstar differs after years of development and experience from cars coming from Ho bao.
mattvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tdiddy

People race what they can get access to....if Kortz raced locally at my track...I might consider running what he runs for his knowledge and availability to me. Some tracks are mostly Losi...or Mugen...or <fill in your brand here>

This is an accurate statement.

Jeromy would help you set up your car reguardless of its make and he's fast with what ever he drives.

If I were buying a new car, I'd get an RC8B and leave it stock. It's a great car in its stock kit form.
Tdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote