R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Questions?? HB D8 universal joint

Hi guys, My front universal joint keeps coming apart and ive now lost 2 pins. Ive used 2 different types of thread lock. Does any one have any better ideas for me it s driving me nuts, Cheers.
Rupert 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Teknorc.com has some nice CV Couplers. I have some on my D8T and have 0 issues now.
ecpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the pin has a flat spot , you have to make sure the grub screw is screwed into the flat spot.
kai888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Tech Addict

I use a piece of heat shrink over them. I have never had any issues with pins falling out with this method.
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Use MBX6 center shafts. They fit nice and last way longer. Use a .5mm shim on the cup where it sits on the pinion gear if you want it to sit further in the diff cups but should be fine without.
awdcameolsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jesse Robbers

I've worked on people's driveshafts before that experience this problem. Often they just don't tighten the set screw nearly tight enough. Also the assembly order used can be incorrect which can cause grease interfering with the loc-tite.

I put thread lock on set screw, thread set screw into the barrel until it bottoms out against the pin. Only the pin, set screw, and barrel parts are in hand currently. Remove set screw, thread lock again, thread into barrell until bottoms out, back off set screw just enough so pin can slide out. Wipe off excess thread lock. assembly driveshaft completely, set screw is tight. Apply grease into both sides (both slots) of the driveshaft, insert driveshaft joint boot (I use GMK Supply), insert driveshaft into suspension component.

If you thread lock when everything is together, the excess thread lock can get into the driveshaft joint binding it up. Sometimes the pre-built driveshafts are like this. If you insert the set screw after the driveshaft is built and greased, the grease can interfere with the thread lock.
Sponsored by: O.S. Speed, KO Propo, Sidewinder, Tekin, Thunder Power, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Fioroni, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, Competition Heat, Dialed Inc., LiveRC.com, DE Racing, CIG2O, ANDROID Nitro Runtime Calculator App
Jesse Robbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

awesome!!! thanks everyone for your help
Rupert 82 is offline   Reply With Quote