Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
motor suggestions for a mugen mbx5t?? >

motor suggestions for a mugen mbx5t??

motor suggestions for a mugen mbx5t??

Old 06-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? motor suggestions for a mugen mbx5t??

Hi guys.

So I'm about to buy me a used mugen mbx5t for 200$$ as a roller. It comes with two extra bodies and a toat full of rims tires and parts. It doesn't come with the rx receiver or servos but thank god I have my xxl .

I would like to know what you guys think is a good motor for the truggy? Our track is a medium track in size kinda tacky with a lot of turns. I want a deasent motor that I can run 30% in it to be competive and have no idea what size or make. One of my buddies said something like a werks b5 but I don't know if that will be enough power for that truggy?

I was going to buy a novarossi .28 7tt but I'm not sure.. I know you guys are the pros and will know the best motor for the bang. I'm wanting to spend 300 no more than 350 for a good motor. I also would like it to be easy tuned as well.

Thanks to all who help and respond
Old 06-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Look at the new LRP motor, it will definitly get that truggy around the track, Maifield just won the nationals with it. You should be in the ball park. Price wise also, but I don't know if it's available yet. If not a novarossi +4 is a great motor, easy to tune...
Old 06-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yep

+1.....
Old 06-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mHOUPS
Look at the new LRP motor, it will definitly get that truggy around the track, Maifield just won the nationals with it. You should be in the ball park. Price wise also, but I don't know if it's available yet. If not a novarossi +4 is a great motor, easy to tune...
What the lpr .30x?? If that's the motor your talking about won't that be too much motor for that truggy? I'm thinking about a 26 or a 28 sized motor.

Here are a few pics of what it looks like. I think its one hell of a deal for 200$$

That's all the pics he sent me. I've seen the truck up close not a scratch on it and it was only raced one season and then the diffs where rebuild. The first pic with it sitting on the toat that is the toat that its common with and its full of tires and rims and extra parts. About 300$$ worth of tires....
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just about any .21 will work just fine.....i've used a grp .21, a werks b5, and i'm now running the new go gxII h.o. and have never needed any more power for racing
Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Awesome

Nice truck it looks great.

I wouldn't spend too much on an engine. Around 200-250 bucks...
My top pic is a Novarossi P5...240 bucks...Especially for truggy...It has lots of torque for clearing jumps in truggy...
Old 06-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

Originally Posted by doug e fresh
Hi guys.

So I'm about to buy me a used mugen mbx5t for 200$$ as a roller. It comes with two extra bodies and a toat full of rims tires and parts. It doesn't come with the rx receiver or servos but thank god I have my xxl .

I would like to know what you guys think is a good motor for the truggy? Our track is a medium track in size kinda tacky with a lot of turns. I want a deasent motor that I can run 30% in it to be competive and have no idea what size or make. One of my buddies said something like a werks b5 but I don't know if that will be enough power for that truggy?

I was going to buy a novarossi .28 7tt but I'm not sure.. I know you guys are the pros and will know the best motor for the bang. I'm wanting to spend 300 no more than 350 for a good motor. I also would like it to be easy tuned as well.

I was looking to find out the same info....My choices were though for my Prospec a LRP .28 Z Spec, a Picco .28 Truggy Engine, or an Axial .28RR or S Spec....As of right now I'm running a Losi 427 combo!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by doug e fresh
Hi guys.

Don't get hung up on "it's heavy, I need a .28 engine." If you're just bashing, a .28 can be fun. But trackside, very few use a .28 engine. I won't get into the which is best scene, just get a .21 engine and all will be fine.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Don't get hung up on "it's heavy, I need a .28 engine." If you're just bashing, a .28 can be fun. But trackside, very few use a .28 engine. I won't get into the which is best scene, just get a .21 engine and all will be fine.

The Classic Debate
Old 06-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have ran 21's 28's and a 25 and IMO on the track the 21 size wins for mileage and useable power. The 25 is good but it can get you into trouble and the 28 size engines are way over the top not to mention they are very hard on the drivetrain. Any scent race 21 will be more than enough to get that truck around the track. Guys seem to like the b5's and the nova p5 is a great truggy engine that won't break the bank. If you want to spend a little more then the os xz line of engines are right at home in a truggy.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

p5xlt , just ask around
Old 06-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IROC-AR15
I was looking to find out the same info....My choices were though for my Prospec a LRP .28 Z Spec, a Picco .28 Truggy Engine, or an Axial .28RR or S Spec....As of right now I'm running a Losi 427 combo!
If you going to buy a lpr motor just buy the losi 454. That is a lpr.28z but with a better carb sleeve and piston. I have one in my xxl and I pushes that beast pretty quick.

Also to add its a breeze to tune and it holds one too. The picco from my understanding is hard to turn and won't good one either. I have a picco.26 on my rusty and that thing was a pig and didn't like to hold a tune. So out of thoes motors I would say the losi 454 its a real good motor and I have 10 gallons on my motor now.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
p5xlt , just ask around
that's the one
Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

An EB mods .21 would be perfect for racing, or if you really want some power the .23. Those motors got loads of torque and work out great in older heavy truggies + still get great mileage. Works great with most any pipe too. (Jp series was only ones I didn't like on mine)
Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hustler777
just about any .21 will work just fine.....i've used a grp .21, a werks b5, and i'm now running the new go gxII h.o. and have never needed any more power for racing
jus bought also the GO GXII, just dont have the chane to break it in yet.so busy at work, what do think of the engine..its for my GS XUTII.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.