gear mesh

Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Default gear mesh

Hi,

I have just installed a plastic spur gear in my Revo 3.3. I did the paper thing and it came through smooth with a little pull. There is also barely any play in it.
I pushed the truck across the floor and it sounded normal....to me (I'm still new at this).
I do have a steel spur gear to install, but I thought if I'm going to screw up something I'd rather it be a gear than transmission, etc.

Is there any other ways to check the gear mesh or should I start her up and go from there?

Thank you rctori
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

I'd Say drive it and go...Sounds like you got it down packed!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctori
Hi,

I have just installed a plastic spur gear in my Revo 3.3. I did the paper thing and it came through smooth with a little pull. There is also barely any play in it.
I pushed the truck across the floor and it sounded normal....to me (I'm still new at this).
I do have a steel spur gear to install, but I thought if I'm going to screw up something I'd rather it be a gear than transmission, etc.

Is there any other ways to check the gear mesh or should I start her up and go from there?

Thank you rctori
The paper trick is the best method to use. I have been using the method for about 11 years.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MCR82
The paper trick is the best method to use. I have been using the method for about 11 years.
+1. Same thing. I found recipt paper to work best for me. I've been doing it since the 90's and have only stripped a few since then. Mainly because of rocks or getting nailed in the gear cover or something. I use this method on my 1/8 scale stuff too. U cant beat it. Smarrt move using the plastic gear instaed of the metal. Yes, it may be more durable and blinggy, but I blew out 2 full trannys in my GT in one race using a metal spur!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Well I'm going to get her started tonight and see how it goes.

My fingers are crossed...this is my first time doing this.

Thanks everyone for your input

rctori