R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   AKA EVO wheels w/or without inserts? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/519961-aka-evo-wheels-w-without-inserts.html)

mHOUPS 06-03-2011 09:55 PM

AKA EVO wheels w/or without inserts?

Who has ran the EVO wheel with or without the insert (the dish in the back of the wheel)?

What do you like or dislike about the wheel?

I didn't notice or feel a difference in the rigidity of the wheel with the insert added..... seems more like a mud guard?

What are your thoughts......lets discuss. What say you, people of R/C?:lol:

Dlewis4 06-03-2011 09:58 PM

If you run an MP9 is about the only time you will notice the difference. AKA developed the wheel/stiffeners for MP9's as they have too much traction as it is.

I have ran both with and without. With...great mudguard... without....same as with.

The only time i have noticed a big difference is when running SS compound tires on a loamy track and putting them in or taking them out.

I think it is just another way for people to play with a tuning option and think that it is making a difference....

merdith6 06-03-2011 10:04 PM

well

I love the EVO rims and red foams, but I have not splurged and bought the inserts yet, but the rims work great without them....I say it never hurts to try them.....I'm just too cheap.....

Dlewis4 06-03-2011 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by merdith6 (Post 9207501)
I love the EVO rims and red foams, but I have not splurged and bought the inserts yet, but the rims work great without them....I say it never hurts to try them.....I'm just too cheap.....

The stiffeners are like $6....?

back to back EVO versus regular AKA's...same performance

skoalisbad4me 06-03-2011 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dlewis4 (Post 9207484)
If you run an MP9 is about the only time you will notice the difference. AKA developed the wheel/stiffeners for MP9's as they have too much traction as it is.

I have ran both with and without. With...great mudguard... without....same as with.

The only time i have noticed a big difference is when running SS compound tires on a loamy track and putting them in or taking them out.

I think it is just another way for people to play with a tuning option and think that it is making a difference....

I'm sorry but I must detest you statement about a MP9. I run a mp9 and have been for about a year now. Although I'm not the greatest driver in the world I did run 2 weekends ago with the AKA impacts with red foams one run with the inserts and 1 without and I couldn't tell a difference. Now I have been told that I will notice a difference on harder packed fast tracks

Dlewis4 06-03-2011 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me (Post 9207554)
I'm sorry but I must detest you statement about a MP9. I run a mp9 and have been for about a year now. Although I'm not the greatest driver in the world I did run 2 weekends ago with the AKA impacts with red foams one run with the inserts and 1 without and I couldn't tell a difference. Now I have been told that I will notice a difference on harder packed fast tracks

The reason I say this is because I have talked to Pavidis about the reason they have them... and several other AKA sponsored guys around here. I myself do not and have not run an MP9... i dont have the money to run one. BUT, i will say the red foams were the big improvement in the new AKA line

Yes, you are right... hard to tell a difference. BUT, when you are JTP and Cody King and other top level drivers... they can tell when a side guard screw is loose ;)

skoalisbad4me 06-03-2011 11:07 PM

I will 100% agree with you there all day long. The red foams I did notice a HUGE difference in fact so much that I have switched out all my black foams to red. But as far as the stiffeners go, they are cheap. I would just recommend buying a set and trying them out for yourself and see what you think. I will be on a hard pack blue groove type track next weekend so I will give them a shot there with some gridirons as well some impacts

EAT DIRT 06-04-2011 03:25 AM

from what understand is the only time the inserts make a difference is when it is really hot out and the track temps are hi :nod: they made a difference in Thailand at the worlds

scurran 06-04-2011 05:55 AM

i got two sets and could not tell a differance on smooth high grip tracks. maby i'm just not good enough to realize the differance. but i am good enough to ralize that after you run them a round or two there not even pushing against the wheel any more. there is a thin gap between the wheel and insert after about 2 rounds. so after two rounds there worthless and just added weight. with the gap all the way around it won't even keep the dirt out. especially if you wash your tires with the inserts in. just rinse the dirt down the crack. waist of money.

JamminSP 06-04-2011 06:32 AM

I have 7 sets of the stiffeners brand new in package if someone wants them cheap..

Muggydude 06-05-2011 11:02 AM

Ok, so I have my evo wheels here, and the inserts. I weighed 4 of the inserts with screws, and it's right at about 1 oz total. I honestly don't think it would make that much of a difference, plus they fit pretty tight and I think they will do a good job keeping it clean. I'll just make sure to check the screws after each run.