Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Chewing up my Start box wheel >

Chewing up my Start box wheel

Chewing up my Start box wheel

Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)
Default Chewing up my Start box wheel

Ok so I am feeling like a total Noob asking this, but I have next had this issue before and I just cant seam to figure it out.

I have a new (well new to me, but I dont think the last guy drove it much) Losi 8ight-T 1.0 with the Losi 454 engine. I also bought a new Dynamite starter box (1/8th scale version with two big motors). The box starts up my brothers 8b just fine (aftermarket engine). When I put my truggy on the box I just smoke the starter wheel to the point that I have put a groove in it. I have used my heat gun to warm up the engine before trying to start but it still will not turn over.

Any ideas of suggestions of what to check?
Old 06-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Make sure ur box i lined up proper to the engine. Easiest way to see is take engine out and line box up with flywheel slot on chassis. Once you have done that reinstall engine and see if it still does that. If it dont your good to go if it does and using a heat gun still locks engine at top loosen your plug just a bit to release some compression. If the engine has been ran a bit it should start easily, if the plug has to be loosen then its not broken in and engine is pretty new.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
Make sure ur box i lined up proper to the engine. Easiest way to see is take engine out and line box up with flywheel slot on chassis. Once you have done that reinstall engine and see if it still does that. If it dont your good to go if it does and using a heat gun still locks engine at top loosen your plug just a bit to release some compression. If the engine has been ran a bit it should start easily, if the plug has to be loosen then its not broken in and engine is pretty new.
Thanks I had the engine out when setting up the box so its all lined up, will try to loosen the plug a bit and see if that helps ... (fingers crossed, a newer motor then I thought is a good thing )
Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Littlejohn Dsgn
Thanks I had the engine out when setting up the box so its all lined up, will try to loosen the plug a bit and see if that helps ... (fingers crossed, a newer motor then I thought is a good thing )
If this is the problem i strongly incourage you to break it in. If you dont engine wont last near as long and engine wont run right. There are many break in stlyes to use and many ways to find them. Google works or check out the break in bible here at the engine thread which is on the top in the nitro off road thread.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Thanks I loosened up the plug and it started right up, I will go check out the break in bible. Turns out the deal was better then I thought, a newer motor to Now to break in a motor......thanks for your help.

I was starting to remember why I got out of nitro and into electric, lol but as soon as the motor fired up I remembered why I wanted back into Nitro
Old 06-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Littlejohn Dsgn
Thanks I loosened up the plug and it started right up, I will go check out the break in bible. Turns out the deal was better then I thought, a newer motor to Now to break in a motor......thanks for your help.

I was starting to remember why I got out of nitro and into electric, lol but as soon as the motor fired up I remembered why I wanted back into Nitro
Yup i went e for a while but the noise brought me back and now that i got all dialed in my e car sits in pieces lol. Its a good thing if your engine needs to be loosend on plug to start, thats means its basically new.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

not only loosin up the plug, but might want to preheat engine before starting again, those 454's have come tight from the factory, preheating will let you engine live a long happy life....loosin the plug to much and.....well ive seen a few blow right out of the head button, was pretty cool, but not for the owner of the car.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Also, make sure your motor is at BDC before you start it up.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Thanks everyone, I had to loosen the plug (just a bit) then tighten it back down after it was started. I was preheating the engine also but with the plug tight it was not enough. I also always put my engine at BDC when I am done running and check before starting.