R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
do you do all this with fuel and battery? or leave that out. I usually do it with just the battery in.

Also, people saying that the toe does not center correctly with the radio on is due to 2 things. The first and main reason is a dead zone in the steering servo, all my digital servos seem to have 1 degree of dead zone. i compensate by spliting the difference half a degree each side. I am eventually going to get a servo programmer so i can get rid of it.

The second thing is camber adjustment, i have noticed when you change camber it affects the toe angles. For this reason i usually do camber then toe, if you do toe first then camber, your toe will change. I think it still changes camber if you do to first but not as much.
I do with battery in but no fuel. I do toe last, but I do go back and spot things a few times after I make adjustments.
Muggified LST- Teal head 427, RD logic pipe, JR servos, panther tires
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Good read Morkendi,

Pretty close to what I try to do, though you go a few steps further.

The one thing I always do is put half a tank of fuel in with all the other running gear (Rx. batt, radio tray, motor, and pipe). My thinking is that when setting the buggy or truggy up with half a tank of fuel, the setup starts out a little off and then comes in and then goes out a little. That way the setup difference when running from a full tank to close to empty is very little. Whereas setting up the buggy or truggy with full fuel or no fuel, leaves the setup being off, to the point of feeling way off, at one end or the other. It might be just me though, but the weight of the fuel in the tank is a fair ammount to me. Enough to consider it when using the setup station.

Might mean more on the ride hieght measurment.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
Good read Morkendi,

Pretty close to what I try to do, though you go a few steps further.

The one thing I always do is put half a tank of fuel in with all the other running gear (Rx. batt, radio tray, motor, and pipe). My thinking is that when setting the buggy or truggy up with half a tank of fuel, the setup starts out a little off and then comes in and then goes out a little. That way the setup difference when running from a full tank to close to empty is very little. Whereas setting up the buggy or truggy with full fuel or no fuel, leaves the setup being off, to the point of feeling way off, at one end or the other. It might be just me though, but the weight of the fuel in the tank is a fair ammount to me. Enough to consider it when using the setup station.

Might mean more on the ride hieght measurment.
Really should not matter if you do it the same way every time, but I understand what you are saying. When I get to track, I fine tune according to track if needed, though most the time that is just ride height and tire change. I have a few pre built diffs and shocks with different fluids and such ready to go as well. I may change rear roll center every once and a while. I keep a jurnal that I write down the setup I end up with, and the station makes this possible. A page for each track so everything like ride hight, camber, even tires and conditions so everything falls into collums. Once you have been there a few times you start to see trends like what tires always work and such and you can make adjustments before you go.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #34
Tech Regular

I forgot to mention clutches, I keep seveal different options as you can use the clutch for a massive tunning option. Changing the point at wich the clutch grabs can make more difference than a chassis adjustment some times. I am really thinking about one of the adjustable clutches.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:42 AM   #35
Tech Regular

I recently purchased the Hudy set-up station and notice a big difference the way my buggy handles at the track. It's a tool well worth it to me.
ramjesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a hudy station, it is very good at collecting dust. the fact that it places loads on the suspension opposite of the cars wheels is a fail for me. plus it is a real pain to use. I have since resorted to a nice flat piece of Melamie board with leveling screws installed and a camber gauge and get better results in quicker time.
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote