Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking advice which kit to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Seeking advice which kit to buy?

Hi all I am looking for help because I want to get back into off road Buggy racing but I last night I was looking into buying a buggy but I wasn't able to do it because I don't know which one to buy.
I will say that I am not a beginner but definitely not an expert so I need to understand what is the easier car to drive, have good quality in parts and must important is not expensive to maintain.
I used to have Mugen MBX5 then the first edition of the Xray 808 and from my experience both cars were pretty good, easy to drive and setup and with quality products at a reasonable price.
A few days ago I went to my local track and was able to drive a Losi 8ight, and I was not able to control the car, I felt that every time I tried to go faster and push the car I will start making a lot of mistakes making the car difficult to drive, I don't know if it was a matter of settings or simply that the car needs a more patient type of driven because I dont have that so I guess a need a car that is more forgiven.
Also I was able to see a Durango and a Hot Bodies but honestly both cars look to me to heavy and kind of slow, to me it was like looking at Mack trucks racing mini coopers. Again that was my point of view I might be wrong even I am thinking that might be the guys behind the wheel, but I was also able to look at more detail the Durango car and to me it is a very heavy car, it actually remember me my first Buggy and Ofna 9.5.
On the other hand I saw able to see the Agama, the Serpent and the new Mugen and I really liked them, they looked very sharp and yet not so difficult to drive. I guess from my previous experience from the MBX5 that the Mugen will be a good car but I keep wondering of the other two.
The Agama looks like a Losi so I dont know if the at the end it will be like driven a Losi so as I said before it will not be the right car for me. And the I have nothing to say of the serpent I saw it running it looked nice but I know nothing about the car.
So I will appreciate every input, advice and feedback that you can give me to make the right choice.

Thanks to all that are will to help and also I forgot the JQ, I really liked the car I have never see one live only what I see over the internet so please if you have a JQ Car or have drive one please let me know.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by moisesing
Hi all I am looking for help because I want to get back into off road Buggy racing but I last night I was looking into buying a buggy but I wasn't able to do it because I don't know which one to buy.
I will say that I am not a beginner but definitely not an expert so I need to understand what is the easier car to drive, have good quality in parts and must important is not expensive to maintain.
I used to have Mugen MBX5 then the first edition of the Xray 808 and from my experience both cars were pretty good, easy to drive and setup and with quality products at a reasonable price.
A few days ago I went to my local track and was able to drive a Losi 8ight, and I was not able to control the car, I felt that every time I tried to go faster and push the car I will start making a lot of mistakes making the car difficult to drive, I don't know if it was a matter of settings or simply that the car needs a more patient type of driven because I dont have that so I guess a need a car that is more forgiven.
Also I was able to see a Durango and a Hot Bodies but honestly both cars look to me to heavy and kind of slow, to me it was like looking at Mack trucks racing mini coopers. Again that was my point of view I might be wrong even I am thinking that might be the guys behind the wheel, but I was also able to look at more detail the Durango car and to me it is a very heavy car, it actually remember me my first Buggy and Ofna 9.5.
On the other hand I saw able to see the Agama, the Serpent and the new Mugen and I really liked them, they looked very sharp and yet not so difficult to drive. I guess from my previous experience from the MBX5 that the Mugen will be a good car but I keep wondering of the other two.
The Agama looks like a Losi so I dont know if the at the end it will be like driven a Losi so as I said before it will not be the right car for me. And the I have nothing to say of the serpent I saw it running it looked nice but I know nothing about the car.
So I will appreciate every input, advice and feedback that you can give me to make the right choice.

Thanks to all that are will to help and also I forgot the JQ, I really liked the car I have never see one live only what I see over the internet so please if you have a JQ Car or have drive one please let me know.

choose a brand that your local shop/track stocks the parts for.... that is a good start, because along with parts comes the support and knowledge of the other racers.....

all kit are close in quality and drive ability.

good luck
Old 05-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

LHS are over rated. If you depend on them, you will limit what chassis to get. A large percentage of LHS have to order everything anyway and most can get nothing but Losi, AE maybe HB and Mugen.. To get the best prices and save the most, you have to shop online, unless you have baller status. just sayin.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

NOt Sure who or why the Hot Bodies or for that matter the Durango looked slow, but maybe the drivers of those were just more smooth, and putting down consistant laps..

I am not a HB team driver, but I gotta tell ya, for my $ that's what I drive and I have done well with it locally.. In bigger races I am never last, but also never first. I contribute that to me not the car, 39 year old reflexes aren't what they used to be. The Hara is the newest version of the HB line up, and is lighter then the original D8. Having owned both the Hara is a bit twitchier out of the box, and smaller set up changes are needed to make adjustments.

There are only 2 other cars I would consider driving Mugen MBX6 and Kyosho MP9. Both are excellent drivers. IMO the Mugen and Hot Bodies are drive very similarly, even though the HB is slightly heavier, Also I think the HB turns much easier, I have dialed out alot of steering on my buggy. The Kyosho is a better driving and handling car then anything else I have driven, but it isn't enough better for me to justify the triple dollar amount for me to buy.

Good luck with what ever you decide, and it is good to see ya coming back to RC racing!!!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Give the GS CLX a try. The car loves to be pushed and the build quality is great. The car is very tough as well. And as far as your concern with weight I have my GS at 3220g. It started out at 3350 witch is about the same as an MBX6 and a TON lighter then a stock D8.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by token
LHS are over rated. If you depend on them, you will limit what chassis to get. A large percentage of LHS have to order everything anyway and most can get nothing but Losi, AE maybe HB and Mugen.. To get the best prices and save the most, you have to shop online, unless you have baller status. just sayin.
normally they are the tracks! so you are saying dont support them and dont buy what wins there?

That doesnt seem like good advice if you are buying a car to race at a track... Just my two cents.

not starting a fight, but seems you need tracks unless you are just bashing...
Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

A lot of tracks don't have hobby shops, and a lot of independently owned shops don't have a great selection. I try to support my LHS's when they have the parts I need, but a lot of the times I order online so I can get the best prices, and get the exact parts/brands I want. Plus I don't have to drive all over to get the parts I need, they come right to my door.

Back to the question, it's hard to go wrong with most of the buggies out today. The serpent, Durango, Losi, JQ, Mugen, and Agama are all great buggies.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Kyosho.. you wont have to work on it much and it's won every big race for the past 2 years.. my work is done here
Old 05-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pitpop
Kyosho.. you wont have to work on it much and it's won every big race for the past 2 years.. my work is done here
+1..
Old 05-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

mugen is fast and durable, I love my losi but it needs alot of parts to keep it going, if I had all the money in the world to play with I would drive serpent bug. and trug. hands down best out there
Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

like you i am searching with a new buggy.... had losi ... mugen... and durango... losi is really edgy... mugen works ok... the durango give you a hard time to set up it... my three options at this time are the agama... the jq ... and the kyosho... I tested the agama... is very similar as losi but not that edgy... I really like that car.... its jumps great and have a smooth drive train... also the parts are at good price... havent try the jq but is one of the most sexy car out there... you can t go wrong with kyosho its the world champion... and you dont have to buy any upgrade... one thing that you could see in kyosho is that there base set up works great in most tracks... I know many people just said another question of a car selection... but its true... its frustrating in picking up a car that you manage to control and go fast... hope you can get the best decision...

good luck
Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pitpop
Where have you been? Sure, King won with it at the worlds, but AE and Losi have won a ton of huge races since then.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Muggydude
Where have you been? Sure, King won with it at the worlds, but AE and Losi have won a ton of huge races since then.
He has been PITTING for the world champion at all of the huge races. Crazy kids!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

I'm just saying, kyosho has not won all of the major races.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Since you've owned Xray, you are familiar with the quality. I haven't driven the 2011 Xray, but plan to have one by end of summer. I have the 2010 and can say that it's very easy to drive.
Put it this way, I've been racing just truggy for a while. I recently picked up a 2010 808 that was converted to electric. I put my electronics in and went straight to an RC Pro race with it. No practice, no setup, borrowed tires, and had never spun a single lap with an e buggy. E buggy just happened to be the largest class at the race. I qualified and finished 8th, first time ever driving an e buggy. I had a nitro buggy that I raced 2 club races with and that's it. My buggy experience is literally 2 club races and 1 RC Pro race. The Xray is really that easy to drive. I never felt out of control with the car. I kept pushing harder and harder and the car kept moving like it was easy. I hear the 2011 is much better too, I can't wait to get my hands on one.

The Serpent is also a great handling car and top notch quality. I've driven my friends quite a bit and it's very solid. It feels very planted and turns really well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.