Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking Of Going Nitro - Losi 2.0 RTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Thinking Of Going Nitro - Losi 2.0 RTR

I have been driving electrics for a while and I am thinking about giving nitro a shot. I am pretty set on the Losi RTR Buggy, sounds like it could just use a few things, clutch, servos after a bit, any thing else?
Can you pretty much drive nitros tank after tank, just keep filling up when it gets low, or will this motor run too hot? That was the bummer with electrics, seemed to need a break after one battery pack to cool off. Id like to be able to run longer with less wait time, and longer mains would be nice. What is the best running temp for nitros? Any other good info for a first nitro would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Also, what is a good race fuel to use? I found some 20% Byrons for a pretty good price, but not real sure on what % is best for long mains.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (97%+)

25% to 30% would be best for racing. if your motor is tuned corectly you can run it for an hour or more tank after tank. byrons, sidewinder, odonnell fuel are the best and most easy to get. i prefer byrons. i use it in my cars and helicopters.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yea I usually run mine for 45mins-1hour at a time, which is also around the time my receiver battery is getting low...Ive tried a few fuels but I really like the 30% S&W Trophy blend the best! My engine seems to run cooler and get better lubrication with that brand!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the input, that is what i was hoping to hear. What size lipo is best as a receiver pack for the losi?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have the RTR trust me if you already race,just buy the roller.Which is what mine has been converted to after about 400 dollars in upgrade parts ect.The RTR was/is great especially after coming from an electric background.And I also use the S&W 30% It no doubt runs cooler than others and has the power of all the other fuels. Just my 2 cents good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

What makes the race roller so much better? I looked but only saw a few things. Is the rtr engine pretty decent, long lasting?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Trialser
What makes the race roller so much better? I looked but only saw a few things. Is the rtr engine pretty decent, long lasting?
although im not a losi guy i do have some experanice with 1, the race kit or roller have a better chassis and towers and alum. shock caps. im sure there are other diff. in my opinion the rtr would be fine for getting into nitro but the stock servos are pretty bad so u may want to change them.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Tech Rookie

I've had the 2.0 RTR for 2 months now and it's definitely the best bang for your buck, but it isn't perfect. My Losi 350 engine has been having a problem 'vapor locking', it doesn't like to start back up after flaming out, if the engine is above 200 deg F it's a real pain to get started again. This didn't happen for the first month but has been a problem over the last 2 weeks or so. I've been told this usually happens when the air temp is ~85 F or above (don't know if this is true or not).

As far as the rest of the kit, its great. People say to replace the shock caps to the aluminum ones but I haven't done that yet, the stock caps have been treating me just fine. The only upgrade i've done is add the DE Racing mud guards. I've ran 3 gallons through it and the only thing i've broken is a shock rod end. Besides the problem with the engine its been a great kit!!!

The only thing I can think of to replace as soon as you can is the servos.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

I have a electric 1.0 and it has held up great, towers and chassis seem strong enough. I also have some extra shocks with shock caps i could put on the 2.0.

For the clutch upgrade do I just need the shoes? People say go to a four shoe set up, will these shoes fit in the stock bell?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Shoes-4-Medium

I don't like the sounds of that vapor lock issue, is that common and can it be fixed with a different carb?
Old 05-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Rookie

I don't know if the vapor lock issue is common, i've done a google search and found a few people that had the same issue. Some people have said they've tuned it out of their engine, but I haven't been able to do that yet. The guy at my local hobby shop said a different carb with an insulator would fix the problem but Losi's carb is a weird size and the only one that would fit is a Picco. I've been thinking of putting a new pipe on it to possibly bring the temps down, mine runs at about 240, (which is normal for that engine/pipe combo from what i've read) and also upgrading to the turbo head.

The clutch is something I forgot to mention. The RTR only comes with 2 shoes so I did add a pair of composite shoes w/ green springs. I also had to buy the clutch hardware ($5) because either the kit didn't come with extra clutch pins or I misplaced them.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Renfro88
I've had the 2.0 RTR for 2 months now and it's definitely the best bang for your buck, but it isn't perfect. My Losi 350 engine has been having a problem 'vapor locking', it doesn't like to start back up after flaming out, if the engine is above 200 deg F it's a real pain to get started again. This didn't happen for the first month but has been a problem over the last 2 weeks or so. I've been told this usually happens when the air temp is ~85 F or above (don't know if this is true or not).
Interesting to hear you say this b/c i've been having a hell of a time getting it back started again as well. it was 89F today and it was really bad re-starting. Also i had a hell of a time keeping a idle. it would tune fine on the box at 170F but then i'd run it up to about 250 on the track and it would die on idling, then cool down back on the box fine and repeat.

Is there a fix for the 350 bugs mentiond?
Old 05-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

shop around and find a good used roller. i did that and bought all new electronics and engine and i've only spent about $800 out of pocket which isn't a whole lot more than the RTR. you'll be glad if you do the RTR is a good option for the most part, but it does need a few things which will make quite a bit more than it's retail cost alone
Old 05-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

as the rtr parts break just upgrade to the race parts...that's what i did... and also change out servos when they go bad.. buy some new ones send you old servos to losi to get fixed and use them as back ups....
Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

I ended up getting a used race roller almost rtr with engine. So, what is the best temp I should try to keep my engine? What is considered too hot to keep running? i have read that you can usually get a little more power out of 30% fuel, is it worth getting that over 20%?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.