R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd have to say i'm a competitor and mechanical type. I love driving. I'd be doing real cars if I could afford it . But I love working on my car during the week, cleaning it repairing it, putting a new setup on it. I've managed to gain a good friend since i've been racing and we push each other to get better. So when you say your brother and friend stop I can understand not feeling motivated. If I didn't have my buddy there it might be a different story.

I typically go to the track on a Friday night for practice and then racing either Saturday or Sunday depends on the time of year. Going to practice keeps me sharp and ready for race day. the lessons learned on practice days have made me better come race day because I've learned to quickly drive around pile ups and pass slower cars. Not to mention learn the fast way around the track.

I've been racing a year and a half but i've been in to RC for 17years. So I'm not quite at where you may be, I'm still learning everytime I go, which makes it enjoyable to me. I still count the days till I can go to the track again.

If your not motivated to drive then don't. If you can still perform on race day and be happy with the way you perform then good for you. Now me on the other hand if I do crappy one weekend I know I'm going to try to get more time the following week, if I do well but know I could have been better then I still know i'm going for more track time and possibly a new setup to get to where I want to be.

Do what you have to do to be happy, that's what a hobby is for your entertainment.

"A bad race day is still better than a Good work day!"
Goomba_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Man, wish you guys were closer I love to just drive and learn lines. The setup drives me crazy, but I know I have to learn it to get better - but I would much rather be out there turning laps.

When I raced Motocross I got spoiled because I never touched a wrench. I just rode and pops turned the wrenches for me. I guess it hurt though too because I never understood the adjustments he was making and how they effected the bike to take full advantage of them.

Anyhow, like everyone has said - do what makes you happy. I like the idea the one guy gave - run two tanks and then help others if you want.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

If you dont drive it then you have no need to set it up nor fix it, Grab your controller and go practice and enjoy wrenching on your own rc for a while... and think of all the others including myself that cant go practice during the week or much less race on the weekends due to kids and wife in school.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

if you're satisfied with 10th in the E main and just want to have fun then don't practice. If you want to excel in anything, at some point you're going to hate doing it, but all the times you pull out your tampon and practice when you don't want to pay off when you're standing on the podium. Only about 5 people in the world make a living doing rc so just have fun unless that's your goal.
velotek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Im kind of the same way. I love to race but if i can't afford it i love to help just as much. As long as the help is appreciayed and im treated right. Sometimes i will help people and they treat me like im theres you know the word starts with a b but im not ganna go there. I dont mind helping, piting, and maintaining a friends car if there in a bind but all i ask is for some respect. Not like being bossed but to help. Thats really the only time i really dislike the racing scene. I honestly think rc is the hobby for me but i can't always race but when im not im always doing somthing rc related on my time. I kind of have the same issue but i really like to race but i also don't really know alot about set ups. I find a little change not making much diffrence on my driving. So maybe that im still learning im not burnt but i really dont think rc can really burn me out for good.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:47 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i have just gotten back into the rc scene for the second time becuase i missed it so much. I really enjoyed the tinkering part of it and this time round i know everything not what to do and i am looking forward to just practicing and getting the right setup on my car. i really find that alot more fun but i also really like running my car when it is set up right.

hope this makes sense
Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomba_7 View Post
I'd have to say i'm a competitor and mechanical type. I love driving. I'd be doing real cars if I could afford it . But I love working on my car during the week, cleaning it repairing it, putting a new setup on it. I've managed to gain a good friend since i've been racing and we push each other to get better. So when you say your brother and friend stop I can understand not feeling motivated. If I didn't have my buddy there it might be a different story.

I typically go to the track on a Friday night for practice and then racing either Saturday or Sunday depends on the time of year. Going to practice keeps me sharp and ready for race day. the lessons learned on practice days have made me better come race day because I've learned to quickly drive around pile ups and pass slower cars. Not to mention learn the fast way around the track.

I've been racing a year and a half but i've been in to RC for 17years. So I'm not quite at where you may be, I'm still learning everytime I go, which makes it enjoyable to me. I still count the days till I can go to the track again.

If your not motivated to drive then don't. If you can still perform on race day and be happy with the way you perform then good for you. Now me on the other hand if I do crappy one weekend I know I'm going to try to get more time the following week, if I do well but know I could have been better then I still know i'm going for more track time and possibly a new setup to get to where I want to be.

Do what you have to do to be happy, that's what a hobby is for your entertainment.
my motivation is just trying to keep up with ya. we have had some good races. i know what you now when you said 2 weeks is about the longest you can go with racing before you lose your edge.
rc8 racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #23
Tech Adept

I love to practice I just wish I had more time to do it. So if you have the time to put in practice 2 to 3 times a week and a track is that close by consider yourself fortunate. Like the guy said in the previous post max you can go is 2 to 3 weeks without practicing and you will lose your edge. It just happened to me this past weekend race I was only able to practice on our new layout once and it showed in qualifying I normally make the a-main in sportsman but could not put it together in the quals. So if I had more time to practice it would have made a huge difference in my performance. So just remember it is a hobby and it is supposed to be fun the day that it becomes more headache than what it is worth is the day you should give it up.
maddog74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I do not have this problem. I'd drive my toy cars every day if I could.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
I do not have this problem. I'd drive my toy cars every day if I could.

"A bad race day is still better than a Good work day!"
Goomba_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
I want to create this thread mainly to see if theres anyone else out there that feels the same way Ive been feeling for the past 2 years.
Cause the thing is, the last 2 years of racing Ive felt somewhat demotivated to go to the track to practice.
And its kinda hard to explain aswell cause when Im at the track I always end up talking to people and discuss setups etc and in general have a really good time but despite that I never feel that motivated to actualy drive.
Some people might even say that like, why are you buying RC cars when you never feel like driving them? Well, the thing is I love the whole thing, I love wrenching, fiddling and setting them up. I love talking to people and discussing the cars and setups etc etc. Its not like I hate the driving part either, its alright, its not super duper awesum fun but its alright.

So yea might be kinda hard for you to understand. But what do you do to motivate yourself to go to the track and practice 2-3 times a week? And is there anyone else here thats felt the same thing?
i feel the same way but sometimes even more so. There is no way in hell i could get away with practicing 2 times a week. 1 IF I AM LUCKY, and the HAG lets me GO!

I really like wrenching, painting boddies, friends at the track etc. But to be honest, my driving is down right bad, horrible. I have been doing this for long time and my driving does not ever seem to get any better. I will not go to the track by myself anymore, because i am tired of marshalling my own car

Lot of the times i want to give up all together and just play music, but i know i can do better, it seems like every race it's something that i have to overcome no matter how well i am prepared. Last race i flamed out in all my quals and my main, this never happens to me. It can be very frustrating at times and i wonder why i even do it.

Oh, and it drains my bank account.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #27
Tech Regular

And then theres the times when you feel like driving but the track is closed because of weather

Oh well. It could also be an issue of me having had alot of problems with the car lately, everything from diffshimming, engines not running properly etc. All of those things also makes you kinda demotivated. Its like youre almost scared of driving because you know in the back of your head that something is gonna mess up that you cant fix or dont know what causes/caused it.

Think Im just gonna force myself to go there when I can, once I gain more experience in both driving and wrenching I might enjoy it more cause I can relax more.
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Talking about motivation, second from left...