R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro Off Road Truck - Front Differential Broke - Will it move?

I recently traded a friend of mine some computer parts for his old nitro off road truck, it was 4wd but he said the front differential was busted.. so we gutted the front diff and took the metal gears out and saw one of the metal gears was busted (we also took the drive shafts out)..

so i took the now empty shell of the front diff and put it back on the car and left the drive shafts out as well.. im wondering will the car still have power to the rear wheels if i give it the gas ? I dont have any nitro so i cant test it myself for a while.. and he wasnt sure himself if it would still move or not without a front differential

im new to the hobby.. this is my first car.. albeit used.. im just curious if someone knows ahead of time before i go buy nitro when i should be ordering a new front diff just to get it moving

I'm not sure what kinda car this is.. the manual says its an ACME conkestador or something.. but the truck itself says Aggressor on it

all servos seem to work okay, throttle/brake and the steering works good though.
akirahz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

if you truck has a center differential, you will barely get power to the wheels. If it goes from motor to gear with a slipper pad style center gear, you will get power to the rear wheels. I did that on my mt2 a long time ago. be warned, their will be so much power to the rear wheels it will almost be undriveable. 4 wheel drives are designed for 4 wheels of drive power and cutting that in half makes it donut crazy.
cnelson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

ah thanks for the reply, ive been doing some research on exactly how these drive train systems work and what not, and im pretty sure mine is centered so it probably wont move.. But after doing a little more reading about the engine, im not sure the engine is any good, i did a close inspection of the flywheel and it moves very loosely with almost no resistance, which i thought was bad because of the sleeve/piston ..

i got some nitro fuel from a friend but he said it was over 2 years old, its been sitting in a large metal square container in his basement closet, sealed not open or nothing.. but its probably still bad fuel .. either way, i cant get the engine to start, i tried a new glow plug and made sure it was working, and made sure the carb was open abougt 1mm in the idle position, tuned 2 of the needles to factory positions but she wont start.

i primed it very lightly and made sure not to flood it, i even added a drop of nitro into the carb cause i know the truck hasnt started for a good 3 years at least.

ah well.. either that or the fuel is bad haha.. whats your take on the flywheel resistance?should it move that freely with 1 finger?

thanks for any and all assistance - after finding out this thing is an "internet car" im not so sure on just how well made these are.. i guess acme is similar to redcat/hsp..etc but ive never owned a redcat or anything.. this is all based on reading peoples reviews and watching youtube videos non stop .. i have no opinion on redcat or hsp's quality since ive never owned one.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

if teh spur gear is centered does not mean it has a center diff... it could just be a slipper style diff.. which will give you power to the rear with out front drive...
kgombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akirahz View Post
I recently traded a friend of mine some computer parts for his old nitro off road truck, it was 4wd but he said the front differential was busted.. so we gutted the front diff and took the metal gears out and saw one of the metal gears was busted (we also took the drive shafts out)..

so i took the now empty shell of the front diff and put it back on the car and left the drive shafts out as well.. im wondering will the car still have power to the rear wheels if i give it the gas ? I dont have any nitro so i cant test it myself for a while.. and he wasnt sure himself if it would still move or not without a front differential

im new to the hobby.. this is my first car.. albeit used.. im just curious if someone knows ahead of time before i go buy nitro when i should be ordering a new front diff just to get it moving

I'm not sure what kinda car this is.. the manual says its an ACME conkestador or something.. but the truck itself says Aggressor on it

all servos seem to work okay, throttle/brake and the steering works good though.
Is this a truck? Sounds like a ACME Conquistador Monster truck by Smartech.

http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/conquistad...ter-truck.html
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

yeah thats the truck right there
Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brushlessboy16 Send a message via Yahoo to Brushlessboy16

Your truck will run with just rear wheel drive, has a locked center drive.
Unconventional Techniques, Superior Results.
Brushlessboy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushlessboy16 View Post
Your truck will run with just rear wheel drive, has a locked center drive.
Ah thank you, that would be terrific.. if i can just get the thing started now haha

i bought some brand new fuel, its some blue 20% traxxas stuff, so i drained out all the old fuel and now im lettin it sit awhile to kinda dry out a bit and have to charge up the electric starting drill for a while so its got enough torque to turn over the motor when i decide to try it agian.

I noticed the first time i tried it fuel was flying out of the carb, as my air filter got soaked in fuel, i removed it for a few pulls and saw fuel spitting out of the carb.. not sure if thats normal or not as im a disgusting noob
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Tech Addict

sounds like the main needle is screwed out too far,thats the one were the fuel enters the carb, if the motor is old and down on compression it wont need as much fuel...that will be why its flooding.
a quick way to drain the engine is to remove the glowplug and tip the truck upside down and turn the motor over.
i've started a few over rich motor by pinching the fuel line while turning it over, it may start that way.
curacing2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by curacing2 View Post
sounds like the main needle is screwed out too far,thats the one were the fuel enters the carb, if the motor is old and down on compression it wont need as much fuel...that will be why its flooding.
a quick way to drain the engine is to remove the glowplug and tip the truck upside down and turn the motor over.
i've started a few over rich motor by pinching the fuel line while turning it over, it may start that way.
Ok, im going to give that a try, should i also remove the air filter when i tip the car over and turn the motor over or is it okay to leave it on?