JQ THE car Starter Box Problem >

JQ THE car Starter Box Problem

JQ THE car Starter Box Problem

Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default JQ THE car Starter Box Problem

hEY GUYS,

Its unusal of me to ask questions from you because I am usually answering questions but I recently got a JQ THE CAR. About 4 months ago but as everyone probably uses, a ofna truggy starter box.

But I tryed starting it today since it was the only day in a week that didnt get rained out. But when I start it it looks like the fywheel is hitting the starter flywheel. So when I try to start it the rubber flywheel spits off rubber and wears down. I tryed moving the pegs on the box back and forth but didnt do anything.

Please help me ?!

Regards and thanks,
Giovanni
Old 05-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TreadRCracing
hEY GUYS,

Its unusal of me to ask questions from you because I am usually answering questions but I recently got a JQ THE CAR. About 4 months ago but as everyone probably uses, a ofna truggy starter box.

But I tryed starting it today since it was the only day in a week that didnt get rained out. But when I start it it looks like the fywheel is hitting the starter flywheel. So when I try to start it the rubber flywheel spits off rubber and wears down. I tryed moving the pegs on the box back and forth but didnt do anything.

Please help me ?!

Regards and thanks,
Giovanni
Best way to know ur set right on box is take engine out and alighn box. If it still hits ur doing somthing incorrect.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
Best way to know ur set right on box is take engine out and alighn box. If it still hits ur doing somthing incorrect.
Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

I will try that, any way that others did it. Because others say that this happened to them too.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I will try that, any way that others did it. Because others say that this happened to them too.
Im sure they solved it by taking more time in getting it alighned. I know the jq has only a very small flywheel hole and engine sits kinda high, so its tricky but should work fine.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

Im sure they solved it by taking more time in getting it alighned. I know the jq has only a very small flywheel hole and engine sits kinda high, so its tricky but should work fine.
Ok, thank you. Ya, I am sure these problems will be fixed by JQ soon.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Ofna Truggy box works fine with THECar. What is happening is the starter box wheel is too far on the left, and is hitting the left side of the chassis. Since the car's engine placement is towards the center, unscrew the starter box brackets and move it to the right until it fits under the flywheel.

If aligned right, there should be a few mm of space on each side. Nothing wrong with the width of the flywheel opening if you set it up right.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
The Ofna Truggy box works fine with THECar. What is happening is the starter box wheel is too far on the left, and is hitting the left side of the chassis. Since the car's engine placement is towards the center, unscrew the starter box brackets and move it to the right until it fits under the flywheel.

If aligned right, there should be a few mm of space on each side. Nothing wrong with the width of the flywheel opening if you set it up right.
Ya, I actually found that out but when I tried it again it didnt work. If it is all the way to the right in the rear then will it turn over the engine. Sorry for this but its my first 1/8 buggy. I never thought a buggy would be like this when the losis are so much easier to set-up but if the the performance is good then I guess that all the work pays off. I have had truggies like the losi and mugen but this company is one I will only buy from again if they improve their products.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Tech Regular

Ya, I actually found that out but when I tried it again it didnt work. If it is all the way to the right in the rear then will it turn over the engine. Sorry for this but its my first 1/8 buggy. I never thought a buggy would be like this when the losis are so much easier to set-up but if the the performance is good then I guess that all the work pays off. I have had truggies like the losi and mugen but this company is one I will only buy from again if they improve their products.
I don't think, there's much to improve in terms of starterbox compatibility. Since the car has a different engine position than other cars, it can be a little bit trickier to adjust your bump box, but I have yet to see a box that doesn't work. As others said before: remove the engine and adjust the chassis on the box properly, then you'll be fine.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Are you using the stock flywheel? If not, make sure your aftermarket flywheel is the stock size of 34mm.

Another box to look into is the Kyosho MultiStarter Box 2.0. It comes with a smaller diameter rubber wheel which easily fits into the flywheel opening of the JQ chassis. It's what I used, and didn't have any issues. It only uses 550 motors, but with a lipo battery, plus the smaller diameter wheel it can turn new motors over with ease.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You might also check that your starter box wheel isn't worn down.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer

I did the exact same, move the motor housing in the starter box more to the center of the box
Old 05-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chad bradley
I did the exact same, move the motor housing in the starter box more to the center of the box
Hey Chad, sorry if this is too much to ask for but do you mind posting a pic of your starter box from the top, inside, and with the car on it with the body off from the top of it.

Thank you gratefully
Old 05-21-2011, 02:09 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, thank you. Ya, I am sure these problems will be fixed by JQ soon.
not sure that end user starterbox setup is really a problem that JQ needs to fix

i use a Mugen box without any issues & even better than that is once the cars location on the box is set then any forward or backwards movement of the engine can be accomodated by moving the starterwheel within its own adjustment slots sorted
Old 05-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have the Agama not JQ but had the same problem. The flywheel cut-out in these new narrow chassis designed buggies is so small that it doesn't leave much room for misalignment.

The nice thing with the Ofna blue truggy box is you can move the whole starter wheel mechanism slightly towards the centre (otherwise it will rub on the far left of your chassis) by unscrewing the 3 silver screws on the bottom outside of the box and moving the mechanism to the alternate holes. This moves the starting wheel closer to the centre and should stop your chassis rubbing.

Although it's still very tight; make sure you align the chassis of your buggy without the engine installed as others have mentioned to get a nice fight. Good thing is you only need to set this once and forget it.

Hope this helps.