Spur Gears

Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Spur Gears

Just wondering,
What spur gears do you use most of the time,or bell/spur combo's and why.Reason being I just got a 50 t spur gear and the previous spur gear was a 48 t.I know from running electric years ago this made a big impact.I will be running a 13 t bell with this.The car is all torn apart for rebuild right now and before I put the 50 in I would like to hear from the pros or should I stick with the 48t,thanks in advance.Sorry I should have said flywheel instead of spur gear, my bad.

Don
Old 05-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The fisherman
Just wondering,
What spur gears do you use most of the time,or bell/spur combo's and why.Reason being I just got a 50 t spur gear and the previous spur gear was a 48 t.I know from running electric years ago this made a big impact.I will be running a 13 t bell with this.The car is all torn apart for rebuild right now and before I put the 50 in I would like to hear from the pros or should I stick with the 48t,thanks in advance.Sorry I should have said flywheel instead of spur gear, my bad.

Don
Gear selection depends on the type of vehicle, engine and track layout/size. Details?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nitro,
Sorry about that,the car is a losi 2.0 buggy and the track is on the bigger side with a decent amount of technical parts,but for the most part it is a fairly fast track.Although some giddy up is needed coming out of the turn to clear a jump.Engine is a clocked werks b6 with a 2058 pipe.
Thanks,
Don
Old 05-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

I guess what I would really like to know will adding 2 more teeth make that big of a difference in run times/power and overall performance.This is with the standard 13 t bell.Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The fisherman
I guess what I would really like to know will adding 2 more teeth make that big of a difference in run times/power and overall performance.This is with the standard 13 t bell.Thanks in advance.
I think the 13 tooth bell will make up for the two teeth.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just by changing the spur from a 48 to a 50 you will lose top end given the same bell but gain bottom end.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for your replies,I really wasn't looking to gain bottom end but I can tame that down other ways.With this engine on any track I don't think i will ever use all the top end.I guess fuel milage will hopefully not be affected too much,we will see.I just installed it too late now we'll see what happens.Thanks again guys for responding.
Regards,
Don