R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Hyper 9 Pro RTR

Is the Hyper 9 Pro RTR a good buggy?

Is $750 a good price for it?

I want to race, I have a Kyosho US SPORT for bashing, now I'm looking for a racer...

Due to my beginner status I want a racer that is durable but will be competitive as well, I don't want to buy a cheap racer only to feel like upgrading a few months later (my minister of finance and fun would possibly have a fit)...

I've looked at kits and race rollers but I think they are a bit out of my price range e.g: I would really like the 2010 IFMAR winning Kyosho WC edition buggy, but to get the kit and a worthy engine I'm looking at about $1,300+ I would'nt mind building one to get a bit more "hands on", but I figure I'll do that down the track a fair way...

So effectively I'm looking for the best RTR racer out there that will stand up to the bumps and grinds of the race circut, that also gives me a good chance of finishing and winning a race or 2...

I've been researching and asking around and I think the Hyper 9 Pro RTR is in the lead at the moment, it has the 20mm BB Shocks and stronger better designed front and rear arms that are the main breaking points of most buggies... Also the .21 3 port engine is better thatn the standard .28 engines that normally come with RTR's...

I could get a Hyper 8.5 RTR or a Hyper 8 RTR for about $100 - 150 cheaper, If anyone has any advice on what I should buy and what I should instantly upgrade it would aslo be appreciated...

Any opinions?
EL DOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL DOMO View Post
Is the Hyper 9 Pro RTR a good buggy?

Is $750 a good price for it?

I want to race, I have a Kyosho US SPORT for bashing, now I'm looking for a racer...

Due to my beginner status I want a racer that is durable but will be competitive as well, I don't want to buy a cheap racer only to feel like upgrading a few months later (my minister of finance and fun would possibly have a fit)...

I've looked at kits and race rollers but I think they are a bit out of my price range e.g: I would really like the 2010 IFMAR winning Kyosho WC edition buggy, but to get the kit and a worthy engine I'm looking at about $1,300+ I would'nt mind building one to get a bit more "hands on", but I figure I'll do that down the track a fair way...

So effectively I'm looking for the best RTR racer out there that will stand up to the bumps and grinds of the race circut, that also gives me a good chance of finishing and winning a race or 2...

I've been researching and asking around and I think the Hyper 9 Pro RTR is in the lead at the moment, it has the 20mm BB Shocks and stronger better designed front and rear arms that are the main breaking points of most buggies... Also the .21 3 port engine is better thatn the standard .28 engines that normally come with RTR's...

I could get a Hyper 8.5 RTR or a Hyper 8 RTR for about $100 - 150 cheaper, If anyone has any advice on what I should buy and what I should instantly upgrade it would aslo be appreciated...

Any opinions?
losi eight 2.0 RTR or eight t 2.0 RTR
waaay better
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808gx7r View Post
losi eight 2.0 RTR or eight t 2.0 RTR
waaay better

I've heard mixed reports about the durability of the Losieight2.0 rtr buggy...

The Hypers seem to be touted more often as the most durable in the RTR ranges...

Still undecided..
Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would go with the losi,its can compete out of the box.Then down the road you can replace the shock caps and servos.
JeredR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

for racing and a rtr i whould say defieltly losi even a bad driver whould bet a older modeled hyper 7 just saying
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I'd like to know where you are getting these prices from? The Losi RTR is the most expensive out right now and you can find it for $600. Last I saw the Hyper 8.5 and 9 were both in the $400-$500 price range. Are you looking at retail prices? Nothing sells for retail.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

The Hyper 9 Pro RTR $750: Ocrpitshop.com

Hyper 8 RTR $650 at various local Victorian hobby stores around (but you get good ongoing support)..

Hyper 8.5 RTR $360 : (on back order) A main hobbies.com

If you could direct me to where I could pick up a Hyper 9 Pro RTR for under $500 I'd me much obliged to ya!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL DOMO View Post
The Hyper 9 Pro RTR $750: Ocrpitshop.com

Hyper 8 RTR $650 at various local Victorian hobby stores around (but you get good ongoing support)..

Hyper 8.5 RTR $360 : (on back order) A main hobbies.com

If you could direct me to where I could pick up a Hyper 9 Pro RTR for under $500 I'd me much obliged to ya!
forget hyper series. get quality. buy a LOSI plus u get a good starter box an very good radio
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808gx7r View Post
forget hyper series. get quality. buy a LOSI plus u get a good starter box an very good radio
The hyper series cars are good quality but parts support sucks.I would recommend getting a kit no matter what brand you choose.All rtr come with cheap electronics and need upgrades to be durable.If I was going to buy rtr I would go with losi.
Amain Hobbies
Fioroni usa
xxxntwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Who said parts support sux for Ofna-Hyper series? Call nitrohouse, 800-928-0304 and really see if they can help or not on a really old ofna products? www.nitrohouse.com
Yet, its hard for a local hobby to carry every part for ofna-really too many cars.

I have both Losi 8 and Hyper 8; and i can dare to say all HYPER series are tough like a tank. They have different driving characteristics in between them
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
I have both Losi 8 and Hyper 8; and i can dare to say all HYPER series are tough like a tank. They have different driving characteristics in between them
Cool, thats what I thought... now...

Hyper 8 RTR, Hyper 8.5 RTR or Hyper 9 Pro RTR?

I've been offered a Hyper 8 for a decent price with good parts support but I've been told also that the the Hyper 8.5 RTR is race ready, they have a good engine and no real upgrades needed other than maybe radio and servo's, hump pack etc
Old 05-17-2011, 03:39 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Try to get hyper 9 parts from a local hobby shop.You will actually have better luck getting parts for older hypers than the 9.nitrohouse has a lot of parts but I'd rather be able to get parts through my local hobby shop than have to mail order everything and pay retail plus shipping.I'm not saying that hyper cars arent good just that parts support it not the greatest.
Amain Hobbies
Fioroni usa
xxxntwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here in the states the Hyper 9 pro RTR is not available only the Hyper 9 roller. The chassis should have the same setup like here in the states just wthout the engine and electrics that make it an RTR, there maybe some small differences of the two kits that are sold overseas.Like tires and wheels.
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I honestly dont know much about this stuff but is there a reason 85 percent (from what ive read so far) of the answers i see when someone asks a question is losi? Im not hating just curious. There are other brands out there. Now i dont know jack about 1/8 gas buggies other than i want one but im a bit intimidated starting out with a monster like one of these.