Wiki Posts
Search

Hyper Star build pics...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:55 AM
H9
Tech Adept

Default Hyper Star build pics...

A new Hyper Star happened to end up in my car yesterday - may have been something to do with stopping in at Ryper Hobbies for a new clutch bell!

After seeing Kev Duffys half completed one at RRC last weekend, I realised just how much has changed from the Hyper 9, so instead of getting the upgrade parts I opted for the new buggy. So I'll take a few pics along the way as I build it and post them up here.... all images are clickable to larger versions.

The Hyper Star has a few additionaly goodies in it for the Australian market, including a handy carry bag that the box goes into once you've emptied it of parts - much like the bag the Hyper 7 used to come in all those years ago.

This is the first Hobao kit that comes as a complete build - they have always been 80% built in the past. Like other manufacturers, parts come in numbered bags that relate to the 'instruction' manual. Also included for Australia is the 4mm extended GL chassis, the optional alloy chassis braces, a Team Hobao black t-shirt, and a set of the new Hobao 'Fire' tyres (appear to be soft compound). NB - these additional items (including the bag) only come when purchased through an Australian shop. Good to see distributors doing something to entice people back into shops and away from internet ordering.

Front and center diffs are 6 gear, with a 4 gear rear diff:

Thats it for now, more as it progresses...
Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 AM
H9
Tech Adept

Completely new upper and lower arms for the pivot ball steering. Uprights also, which are much stronger than the previous design. Uni's instead of CVJ's for the front drive shafts, and a uni replaces the dog bones for the front center driver shaft.

The PBS - two different cups, either a non-adjustable quick and easy one piece cup (top right) or the adjustable three piece cup (top left):

Grub screw to adjust the play in the PBS. On the left you can see in the hole the plate the grub screw butts up against, which sits behind the plastic cup.

Tip: Screw the pivot ball shaft into the arms before putting the caps on, so you can use the hex head in the shaft to do it up rather than fiddling around with a small trurnbuckle spanner.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 AM
H9
Tech Adept

A little bit more done tonight...

A redesigned (and overall stronger) upper arm holder, now has an alloy insert instead of plastic inserts:

Servo saver has changed very little, although the spring feels a lot firmer. Same ackerman arm bars as before:

One (nearly) complete front assembly. Sway bars are far better, the holder on the diff casing eliminates the binding the 9 had.

Assembling the PBS front assembly is not recommended during the consumption of Jacks! There was a couple of moments where I thought Dammit, I've put the left upper arm with the right lower arm and vice versa. But after a quick Futurama break, I realised I had it right, they just needed to be rotated - much like a Rubiks Cube!

So far, impressed with the new design. Everything has gone together the way it should, and it looks & feels substantially stronger than its predecessor.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have always loved Ofna's products. Great Value, easy to get parts cars are completely sick looking, and very durable. Enjoy your new buggy bro. Looking forward to all the pics
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Nice buggy, will follow this thread
Old 05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ambros303
Nice buggy, will follow this thread
me too!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default HYPER STAR

I have a 8.5 pro with spider diffs. It is a little heavy but it makes up for it with its adjustability and being super tough. I mean 3 years of being beat to death by me and my friends since it now a loaner buggy and has never broke one single part exept wings. The new hyper star looks very cool and tuff as well. I hope it handles good as some of the new buggys out there because they maybe fast but brake alot of parts. I was looking at the us model and it does not have all the cool stuff that your aus. model has I dont think. I was looking at your pictures what is the black frame looking plate next to the chasis for? Looks really cool looking foward to hearing more about it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

looks pretty slick. I like the PBS front end, roomy battery box, generous CF usage, but not overdone, molded-in transponder spot, and the high-angle CVDs all around.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:15 AM
H9
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fun hawg 1
...I was looking at your pictures what is the black frame looking plate next to the chasis for? Looks really cool looking foward to hearing more about it. Thanks for sharing.
Black frame looking plate?? Which pic are you referring to? If you mean the 2nd pic, thats the standard length chassis.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Tech Regular

Looks nice!
Only want to point out that the Hyper 7 Pro was also a complete build
Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 AM
H9
Tech Adept

Was it? I'll take your word for it, my memory cells don't work that far back! I don't recall having to assemble my Hyper 7 PBS.

Tonight, the rear assembly. No major changes from the Hyper 9. Like the front assembly, the shock tower is different - slightly taller with more adjustment holes. I forgot to mention that the front upper arms have 5mm forward and rear adjustment, and there are 6 x 2mm and 6 x 1mm spacers to tweak to your preferred setting.

The rear center drive shaft is also a uni, but as I am using the +4mm chassis I'll be using the supplied dogbone and cup.

The assembled rear brake unit and diff housing - again, very similar to the Hyper 9 but with extra webbing for added stiffness (arrowed). The center drive cup bearing support of the diff housing extends outwards from the webbing and fits snugly into the brake assembly hole, so adds massive strength to the bearing support.

The rear assembly completed. 1* to 3* inserts for the toe-in and kick-up adjustment. Note the now enclosed cup for the chassis brace - no more will it work loose! It's a nice snug fit so will add extra support to the bracing.

Even little things make a big difference - like properly sized slots in the arms for the stabiliser bar uprights, so no more battling to get the bastards in - a frustration I'm sure all Hobao users have experienced in the past!

Last edited by H9; 05-11-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:03 AM
H9
Tech Adept

The center diff housing and front brake assembly - the main change is no more alloy top plate, its now plastic which surprised me. I thought this would be weaker.

However once its assembled it is very strong due to its designed shape, so very much doubt this will be any problem. Also notice the extended shroud protecting the calipers - but it does mean making sure you get the caliper bolt adjustments right before putting the top plate on. Different actuator arm too - straight out instead of the L shaped arm. The brake cam shaft is also very securely held in place, the flanged bearing has to be forced into the top plate.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Yes the Hyper 7 pro was a kit. That was my first ever 8 scale buggy kit that I had to build. I built it to PCR specs which at the time was the latest greatest build/setup. Paul Coleman laid the servo's down to lower CG. That buggy was a tank and I bashed the crap out of it for 2 years and broke maybe 2 parts. It was not until I got serious about racing that I switched to a lighter more nimble buggy but I loved my Hyper.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Yes the Hyper 7 pro was a kit. That was my first ever 8 scale buggy kit that I had to build. I built it to PCR specs which at the time was the latest greatest build/setup. Paul Coleman laid the servo's down to lower CG. That buggy was a tank and I bashed the crap out of it for 2 years and broke maybe 2 parts. It was not until I got serious about racing that I switched to a lighter more nimble buggy but I loved my Hyper.
The Hyper 7 Pro was the first ever new car my brother got aswell and I built it for him.
I was never a fan of OFNA though. At that time I ran Kyosho so the difference in quality was monumental.
Seems like OFNA stepped up a few notches in the quality sector since then though.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default hyper star

Yes I was refering to the second picture. Did it come with both chasis's? I wonder what the difference is between the us and au editions are.Great looking buggy.Cant wait to hear how the pbs works. I have a old ttr eb4 s2 pro with pbs and it handles really good .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.