R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #31
Tech Initiate

grats on the new car, its an awesome machine. I was given one to race today an i loved it, so much so im going to pick one up for myself this week.
Ive been running the hyperstar pbs on my hyper9e for a while now, for me personally makes the car alot nicer.

One thing i see from your pics is that you have the old style pbs knuckles like i got with my pbs kit. there are new knuckles out which make the pbs even smoother, they have a little carbon bracket much like a mugen setup.

I picked up a set of those this week an the new closed rear hingepin holder, personally recommend upgrading to them when you can. you can get hobao part numbers for them of the offical site with some pics if you interested, saw them linked as hyperstar updates.

again enjoy your new car an hope you win many races with it
flumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #32
H9
Tech Adept

Cheers Flumpy! Yeah I did see those knuckles on the Hobao site.

Ok, finally got back into it...

The sturdy adjustable wing - 2 positions forward/back, and 3 positions for angle:

Assembled radio tray - slightly different design to the 9 in that there are now two screws holding the servo tray and battery box together, so its stays as one complete piece when removed from the buggy. The transponder mount is for the old AMB RC3, but I cut the legs of my RC4 mount and just used it as a backplate which works fine.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #33
H9
Tech Adept

Nearly there!

Just the shocks to do (waiting for grey springs), some new shoes on the JVD clutch and reattach to the OS, a visit to the Hudy station, and should be good to go... maybe some paint too!

Some of the updated parts on the Hyper Star have been available as upgrades for the 9 for a while. As I said at the start of this, I had intended to just buy the PBS front end but I'm glad I opted for the new buggy instead. There are very few parts that are the still the same...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just curious...does the radio box still have the bolt holding from inside the box? top down, so to speak...I finally just sealed over the hole in the chassis on my H9 so I wouldn't have to open the box every time I removed the radio tray
mechanic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #35
H9
Tech Adept

Yes it is still there...
Old 05-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #36
Tech Apprentice

Hope your gonna do a performance review once you've given it a good test run.
Spektrum, Savox
AT Race Fuel.
H9_nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #37
H9
Tech Adept

What? You expect me to get it dirty??? lol!

Yeah, I'll be running it at this weekends two day meeting - first round of the WA Challenge Cup. Would have been nice to have had a trial run last weekend though...
Old 05-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #38
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

SO jealous! I love building new kits! Sadly I'm getting ready to sell my Hyper 9 GL due to, well, not having any time to race. Enjoy that new buggy!
Laguna Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #39
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Any new updates or pics? How'd it run?
BlockHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:35 AM   #40
H9
Tech Adept

How did it run, you ask.... let me put it this way:
After the 3rd qualifier round (the first two were spent retuning my motor due to a change of brand of fuel and having no prior opportunity to do so), I went over to the Ryper Hobbies tent and asked if I could get a refund.... as this buggy has way too much steering! lol!

Its going to take a couple of race meetings to get my head around it and find the right setup for me. I did find out that I have to be a lot less vigorous on the controller - only small steering inputs are needed, particularly when correcting a turn. At times I found myself swerving from side to side on the track as I was being too violent on the wheel trying to straighten it up.

Once I found my rythym (before relapsing to driving like I normally do), it was very responsive. Off-power corners were very tight, and it also had plenty of on-power steering. My tyres were a bit ordinary - as Josh said "you've got a new buggy, and you put those sh!t tyres on it". lol! These were probably contributing to a bit of traction rolling - Some of the faster corners I pushed it as hard as I could, only to have it roll over. Having enough steering certainly wasn't an issue though.

Because I spent the qualifiers tweaking this and that, I qualified 18th out of 35. I finished first in my 1/4 final, and then 6th in my Semi which wasn't quite good enough to bump up to the main final (missed out by 2 laps). A mid-race spaz attack in the semi didn't help, there was a few bad laps where I just did stupid things.

Jumping and acceleration, it felt good. Overall, pretty happy with its first outing considering I had no pre-race tuning time, and was often sidetracked with running the meeting...

Side note - Josh Pain had a sensational run in the 30 minute final with his Hyper Star. After getting a good start and being in 2nd place for a few laps, he had a flame out (possibly a marshalls finger hitting the flywheel). There was some confusion in the pits, and he was 12th and 4 or 5 laps down on the leader by the time he got back out. He slowly clawed his way back to end up finishing in 2nd place...

NB - I should add, this event was held on a grass / sandy soil track (with artificial jumps and hazards). The rains have started here and I probably won't get a clay track run for a while, as the local track gets vey boggy when its wet. Grass racing is great fun, very fast and extremely close - Adrenaline pumping!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #41
Tech Adept

Just out of curiosity what setup are you using? (Diff oils/diffs/springs/shock oil)

What is working best for me:

Shock Oil
Losi 32.5 all the way around

Springs
X-Ray Silver Springs all the way around

Rear Pistons Drilled to 1.6mm

Losi 5-5-2 diff oil with standard diffs f/c (I never even assembled the Spider Diffs) Still a little loose in the rear but im going to try 5-5-3 tonight and see how she does.

Standard Chassis with the rear hubs all the way back...
I would like to say Thanks to my sponsors: Team OFNA and Sidewinder Fuel
ghost68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #42
Tech Initiate

Hi guy's set up we are using in the uk

Short ackerman rod
30 or 35 wt oil front rear standard pistons white springs
5/5/3 diffs
front caster 2x spacer front 1x small rear of arm
ride hieght around 25mm/26mm

1x camber washer in front arm think is about -2 degres
-2 rear camber

I have a set up sheet from John Howells in the uk so i will scan it and post it up tomorrow for you to have a look at. He changes very little on his buggy just tweaks it for different tracks.

This will give you all shock locations etc etc
Redbull8447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

full astro synthetic UK track set-up from John Howells