R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default What is the Ultimate Hobby Shop to YOU?

Hey Everyone,
I'm here today with a few questions and i'm looking for everybody's feedback on this.

If you could walk in to your dream hobby shop what would it look like?

What would they have on-site that would make your experience even better?
Would things like a permanent concession stand be nice?

When it came to races there what would be a fair price to race a club night?
What's a fair practice fee for all day in your eyes?

Do you like attending races that are part of a series or are individual?

Would weekly small awards for club races like ribbons or little plaques or hobby shop discounts keep you coming back?

What would make you willing to purchase parts and kits at said hobby shop instead of online?

If this new hobby shop opened up and you ran for brand "X" but this hobby shop carried every part available for brands "Y" "Z" and "Q" would you entertain switching to one of those brands?

What are hobby shops not doing today that they need to do if they want to survive in your eyes?

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Please try to stay on topic as much as possible. I'm hoping for a good long thread with lots of great feedback!
My website = www.lutzinator.com, Find me on Facebook at Facebook.com/lutzrc
-Follow me on Twitter @Lutzrc, #LutzRCRevolution
DRCRacer299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCRacer299 View Post
Hey Everyone,
I'm here today with a few questions and i'm looking for everybody's feedback on this.

+++ Place needs to be organized and clean with a on site track. Always though about having a store doing simple training courses bring in new hobbyist.

Yes concession stand but affordable prices. Wash out area, bathroom with shower, and a place where mothers, fathers, wife and stand and watch if they want a side line view.

10 Bucks is fair running all kits
15 bucks 1st class 5 bucks for additional.

Do you like attending races that are part of a series or are individual? Yes series with a point system ending the year with awards.

Would weekly small awards for club races like ribbons or little plaques or hobby shop discounts keep you coming back?

For sure having something for bragging right and a goal always add more fun.

What would make you willing to purchase parts and kits at said hobby shop instead of online?

Yes but it needs to be comparable some stored jack priced 35% above online. Subsidize money from track bring down cost >> Winner

If this new hobby shop opened up and you ran for brand "X" but this hobby shop carried every part available for brands "Y" "Z" and "Q" would you entertain switching to one of those brands?

Yes but people will run whats common at the track. The fast guys have a HUGE influence over the newbies. Making it easy for someone to call, pull, and pay would be nice even a website. If not available order and provide.

What are hobby shops not doing today that they need to do if they want to survive in your eyes?

Customer Service, stocking popular brands and helping new people "Wrench FREE"

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Please try to stay on topic as much as possible. I'm hoping for a good long thread with lots of great feedback!
)))
Old 05-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

My Ultimate Hobby Shop would have Indoor Nitro 1/8 Buggy and truggy racing and all so have in door Onroad Racing and a place for Crawlers to hang out and Crawl.

It would have Nitro racing Once a week Onroad racing Once a week and Crawling Comps Once a week for awards i would give out Small plaques.

In my eyes a Hobby Shop needs to have lot of stuff for people to do and not just focus on 1/8 are Onroad it needs a little of it all so guys that like to Crawl have a place to go and the 1/8 guys have a place to go to.

As for the Price of Kit and Parts the hobby shop need to look around on the Net and keep its prices the same as the Online Hobby Shops if i can walk in a hobby shop and pick it up and pay the same price as the Online shop i will buy it at the Hobby Shop.

Now if i can save 20 are more Bucks buy getting it Online i will buy it Online.
Rc Pro ProDucts Team Driver www.rcproproducts.com
Hobby Pro USA Team Driver www.vp-pro-usa.com
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

local shops around here don't keep up with the times. You can't get anything recent like tires or the cab forward bodies. If they have to special order it, I might as well mail order it myself.
Muggified LST- Teal head 427, RD logic pipe, JR servos, panther tires
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Mass inventory and online prices. on site race tracks are a must imo for brick n mortar shops. this hobby is all about instant gratification for most hobbyist and most dont want to hear "we'll order it" when they can just go home and order it for certain, not to mention at a lower price. Having an overall great facility is what brings success imo. race tracks, good food, clean bathrooms, mass inventory at good prices, wifi, enough electricity in the pits, cleaning station in the pit area ie: air hoses, sink etc.. those are just some of the things that would be on my list if i was looking into a shop/track.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think itd be cool to have a mini-micro track at my lhs and have races on weeknights once or twice a week..
><> Hebrews 12:1 <><
DC#14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Dirt Burners Livonia MI
indoor track, stocked hobbyshop
one thing I hate is to walk into a hobbyshop and have them say "no I dont have that but I can order it for you"
we have Amainhobbies and Absolute Hobbyz, I can order it too and probably get it for cheaper thanmost will sell it for. I think Dirt Burners in MI understands this and stocks a crapload of stock.
fast for an old guy
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Tech Adept

My dream hobby shop would have the 1/8th nitro/electric offroad section beside the 1/8th scale track, rock crawling section beside a crawling course, onroad beside the on road track and an offroad 1/10 section beside the as you guessed it a 1/10th off road track as well as catering to 1/16 and smaller scale cars. Also having staff that doesn't pressure based on what they would buy but give a good solid answer for any question. Have prebuilt cars and radios for each section to try before you buy for a small fee. Have a great selection of vehicles from all manufacturers and a great supply of parts on demand. A good selection of radios, servos, engines, aftermarket parts and so on. This place would definitley need a food concession for decent prices people buying and racing get hungry. Have practices for each area during the weekdays and racing on the weekends.My dream hobby shop would be the size of a 10 million square foot area.

$10 per class raced would be fair.

If you have a membership for that club practice should be free and for non-members $5-$10 would be appropriate but only for 2-3 hours of practice.

I attend just club races but can't attend them all so the series for members is kind of out of my reach.

A small plaque and a discount would be nice but say 50% of the race fees could go towards 1st through 3rd and where else would they spend it but the hobby shop.

The prices would have to be comparable like say there is only $10-$15 or a buck or two dollars difference I would buy at the LHS but if there is more than a $20 difference I would buy it online and save some money.

I could entertain the idea but if I can't afford to switch over it makes it alot harder especially when they decide not to carry that brand anymore. I think they should carry parts for all vehicles but when a club has say 20 people are running Hot bodies they should stock parts for those vehicles and stop stocking just for the major brands like Losi and Associated because in the end they lose more money from having to sell them for next to nothing(yeah I hope someone from my LHS sees this and takes note that not everyone only runs Losi or Associated)

Not stocking enough parts or option parts for other popular brands. Way over priced kits and other gear which people can buy online for cheaper including the shipping(I bought my Reedy 121vr for $243 online at Amain compared to $300 at my LHS). They need to realize that convincing a kid with little money as it is that he needs to buy a $700 kit to be competitive Not to mention the rest of it because that kid can either tell his friends what a great deal he got for a decent priced kit to his friends and then they go in or be embarrassed because he bought the $700 kit and couldn't afford anything else but it can go the opposite as well.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

racing is a VERY, VERY small portion of this hobby, "bashers" of all kinds planes, boats, helis, crawlers, cars make up 80% or more of this hobby.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Denton View Post
Dirt Burners Livonia MI
indoor track, stocked hobbyshop
one thing I hate is to walk into a hobbyshop and have them say "no I dont have that but I can order it for you"
we have Amainhobbies and Absolute Hobbyz, I can order it too and probably get it for cheaper thanmost will sell it for. I think Dirt Burners in MI understands this and stocks a crapload of stock.
ah, the "no I dont have that but I can order it for you"
unless you are looking for body clips and antennas, that is the answer you get 97% of the time these days.

To all hobby store owners. PLEASE carry spares for the kits you carry
"We will order it when we have enough for a shipment" is not the answer we want. That is why you are failing against online stores.

But there is talk of an Internet sales tax that the govt is trying to pass. Things might change for the worst when that passes.

My idea store would have ample inventory, and a properly maintained on/off road track. Snack shop with bathrooms too.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Tech Regular

I don't mide paying more if I can drive there, get it, and be ready to run again. I don't have a lot of time to run as is with the family, and haveing to order something ends my day.
Muggified LST- Teal head 427, RD logic pipe, JR servos, panther tires
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Items organized by specific hobby(i.e planes section, surface section, etc etc) Parts organized by manufacturer and part number. Well stocked and open communication lines with distributors to get parts FAST that are not instock. But have a racer onsite who has the knowledge of "important" parts that racers need.

What would they have on-site that would make your experience even better? This is probably dreaming but a parts database that would allow me to input the part number and know instantly if the part is in stock and where it is. I HATE waiting for the one guy in the shop working to get to me when its 15 folks ahead of me, but again... A pipe dream I know

Would things like a permanent concession stand be nice? Not really necessary, but a plus... JTEC in southern IL comes to mind as having a great concession stand.

When it came to races there what would be a fair price to race a club night? $20 first class 15 second class
$10
Do you like attending races that are part of a series or are individual? INDIVIDUAL, but really its whatever is the popular majority.. No fun racing yourself

Would weekly small awards for club races like ribbons or little plaques or hobby shop discounts keep you coming back? HOBBYBUCKS!!!!

What would make you willing to purchase parts and kits at said hobby shop instead of online? Similar Pricing

If this new hobby shop opened up and you ran for brand "X" but this hobby shop carried every part available for brands "Y" "Z" and "Q" would you entertain switching to one of those brands? If those brands made competitive race vehicles. YES!

What are hobby shops not doing today that they need to do if they want to survive in your eyes? Compete with online pricing to the point where the cost is similar when you consider online and shipping vs brick/mortar and sales tax. Not equal but similar. The hobby shop experience and hanging out is worth the few extra dollars paid versus ordering online.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Everything pretty much been covered by everyone in terms of what a great shop should have...track, food stand, CLEAN bathrooms, etc. But if the hobbyshop has all this stuff I think they should also have some rtr vehicles ready for new customers that are lookin into gettin in the hobby. Even an introductory session for newbies, especially the 1s that wanna race. That would probably make some1 who's lookin to get in the hobbies experience a lil more enjoyable.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Clean ,well light, organized by brand / type.
Covered outdoor track, good dirt, no rocks, roomy lanes.
Seperate practice times by type and skill level.
So it doesnt imtimate new drivers and frustrate faster drivers.

Real bath rooms, air, indoor pit areas, well light, tables, chairs.

Most definitely!

$ 15 to $20

Prepped track $10, unprepped $5

A series would be nice.

Yes it would be nice for non pro classes

Yes we would, if prices are reasonable.

Yes if we wasnt not sponsored.

Service, service, service. Knowledgeable employees, especially important to beginners.

Ryan tried to stay on track with this. Cost ALOT!
There would have to have alot of items for other than racers.
Like bashers thing, Short course stuff , etc

I hope everyone keeps it positive.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

hobby plex in omaha, neb. is my ultimate place to race.( or soon will be when they get the outdoor track enclosed this summer!) it is ran by some of the greatest people and racing there is always fun. the only thing you mention that they don't have is on site concession, but you are less than a mile away from some good food. we have reguler club races, points races and also several large events there. year round nitro in the cold north without traveling half a day is going to be great.
nitroal is offline   Reply With Quote