R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #31
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

One where Ryan Lutz is there to answer questions all day everyday
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
One where Ryan Lutz is there to answer questions all day everyday
LMAO......he would go crazy!

EPRC-Wichita KS|EPRC.club@gmail.com| www.emeryparkrc.com
Pin2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Denton View Post
Dirt Burners Livonia MI
indoor track, stocked hobbyshop
one thing I hate is to walk into a hobbyshop and have them say "no I dont have that but I can order it for you"
we have Amainhobbies and Absolute Hobbyz, I can order it too and probably get it for cheaper thanmost will sell it for. I think Dirt Burners in MI understands this and stocks a crapload of stock.
Bill Bridges and the crew do a great job. Couldn't agree more.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
racing is a VERY, VERY small portion of this hobby, "bashers" of all kinds planes, boats, helis, crawlers, cars make up 80% or more of this hobby.
I don't know if I would agree here. I think it depends on the region that you are in. I would have to say that it is the other way around in SA, Texas. There are a lot of folks that race and bash, and a bunch of us that race only. I'm not sure how big our air community is here however.
ProLine! Upgrade RC!
Spads11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
If the major online stores would start franchise tracks since they are taking business away from mom and pop shops. That would help the stocking of parts issue, sample rides, advertising, promoting etc. I try to support local tracks when possible.But if there could be more diversity for hobbyists to all gather to it'd be cool. But like previously posted, imagine the rent?
Or at least help sponsor local tracks in various forms. It would be cool to have both on-road and off at the same site though...
ProLine! Upgrade RC!
Spads11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Hey Everyone,
I'm here today with a few questions and i'm looking for everybody's feedback on this.

If you could walk in to your dream hobby shop what would it look like?

Hey Ryan!

First- Its got to be clean. Gonna need some memorabilia, like a worlds car from some big names, and some of their trophies from big races hung on the wall for people to gaze at.

What would they have on-site that would make your experience even better?
Would things like a permanent concession stand be nice?

Yes it would. New things like cab forward bodies, new kits, a person at the counter who knows what he's talking about is also a big plus! Must have the "new" stuff on the block. Its nothing to walk into my local hobby shops, ask them about a new part coming out, and them having never heard of it.

When it came to races there what would be a fair price to race a club night?
What's a fair practice fee for all day in your eyes?

$10 first class, $8 for every other class. Families are $8 and $6.

Do you like attending races that are part of a series or are individual?

Definetely a weekly point series, but it would also need a series with other tracks involved.

Would weekly small awards for club races like ribbons or little plaques or hobby shop discounts keep you coming back?

Bee at RJD gives little tiny plaques on club nights, they are really neat, but to be honest I usually end up throwing them away at some point.

What would make you willing to purchase parts and kits at said hobby shop instead of online?

Have it in stock. My main reason for ordering online- I have a 60 mile drive to the hobby shop as it is, why would I want to drive another 120 miles the next week to pick it up when I could have it shipped to my door? lol

If this new hobby shop opened up and you ran for brand "X" but this hobby shop carried every part available for brands "Y" "Z" and "Q" would you entertain switching to one of those brands?

[COLOR="red"]Not really, but if the owner was a nice/persuasive guy, it could happen eventually.[/COLOR

]What are hobby shops not doing today that they need to do if they want to survive in your eyes?

Having the correct parts in stock. And tracks need to create more smaller series with 2-3 tracks involved.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Please try to stay on topic as much as possible. I'm hoping for a good long thread with lots of great feedback!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #37

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

i store i can walk into and they have the parts i am looking for.. seems like when every you go to the store they never/rarely have the parts you need... that is my ideal hobby store.. jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ryan,

My eyesight and hearing gets worse every year. Since there's no sound here I'll speak to the eyesight issue.

Here's what I might be seeing between the lines.
Is it feasible for "racer oriented" hobby stores to prosper?

The answer: "Build it and they will come" **

** bearing in mind the most important business law known to man:
location location location

If you open a branch anywhere near me I'll work for minimum wage.
motomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I only have one thing to add beyond what has already been said. I go to a park 60 miles away versus one 15 miles away because my two boys are able to race for free. Even though the gas equalizes the cost difference I still prefer to patron that track.

Have a significant discount for children under 12 and you will pull fathers in more consistently because now it's "family time" vs "guy time".
Old 05-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #40
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I own a "racer oriented" hobby shop. I stock nothing but 8 scale Nitro stuff with all the trimmings and I can tell you its not profitable. I have about 20-30 core customers that come to me for everything and maybe 5% of my business is walk in's. I am lucky though because I own a 25,000 square foot Furniture store and I moved the Hobby shop inside my Furniture store so I have absolutely no overhead expenses at all. When it was in its own dedicated location we lost money every month until we were forced to close it and move it. I can tell you this Ryan, do lots of homework first before you move forward and remember that you will never be able to compete with Ebay kit breakers or Tower hobbies
Old 05-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I own a "racer oriented" hobby shop. I stock nothing but 8 scale Nitro stuff with all the trimmings and I can tell you its not profitable. I have about 20-30 core customers that come to me for everything and maybe 5% of my business is walk in's. I am lucky though because I own a 25,000 square foot Furniture store and I moved the Hobby shop inside my Furniture store so I have absolutely no overhead expenses at all. When it was in its own dedicated location we lost money every month until we were forced to close it and move it. I can tell you this Ryan, do lots of homework first before you move forward and remember that you will never be able to compete with Ebay kit breakers or Tower hobbies
You can Compete with Ebay Breakers if you buy Kits and Brake them down at the hobby shop and sale the parts just like the guys do on ebay. I will buy my parts in a Zip Lock sack and be happy about it if i can get them for a lot less then the part in a factory package.

I dont know way a hobby shop dont do that they can get Kits Brake it down it to parts and put them up on the shelf in Zip lock sacks with the part number and what part it is and fits printed off a computer. And use guys could save a TON of money and the Shop could make some money.
Rc Pro ProDucts Team Driver www.rcproproducts.com
Hobby Pro USA Team Driver www.vp-pro-usa.com
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenova70ss View Post
You can Compete with Ebay Breakers if you buy Kits and Brake them down at the hobby shop and sale the parts just like the guys do on ebay. I will buy my parts in a Zip Lock sack and be happy about it if i can get them for a lot less then the part in a factory package.

I dont know way a hobby shop dont do that they can get Kits Brake it down it to parts and put them up on the shelf in Zip lock sacks with the part number and what part it is and fits printed off a computer. And use guys could save a TON of money and the Shop could make some money.
Correct me if I am wrong, not too sure if an authorized dealer is allowed do that. If all hobby shops/dealers buy kits only, break them up and don't buy parts, the manufacturer sure ain't going to be happy...