R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has enyone ever heard of the cost of doing bizness? On line shop 5-8 people, some old warehouse, bad lighting, no parking lot,ect. Very easy to keep the money in house. Full blown hobby shop, 10-20 peeps, 2-18 bucks per sqare foot for rent,lites, parking lot, signs and more. And don't forget code inforsment. How do think you can make any money that way? Why do you think they need volinters at the tack? All I'm saying is would be nice but unless granddad left you the building and grandmom's paying the tax'es I don't think your going to get rich on it. But then you could do it just because you love what you do. If you knew what it cost to run a place like that then pray it don't rain,flood, or herricane. I'm off of my rant now. Just saying....
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #17
Tech Addict

If the major online stores would start franchise tracks since they are taking business away from mom and pop shops. That would help the stocking of parts issue, sample rides, advertising, promoting etc. I try to support local tracks when possible.But if there could be more diversity for hobbyists to all gather to it'd be cool. But like previously posted, imagine the rent?
Waiting on the DNX408T !

Last edited by Kolunatic; 05-05-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Kolunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Hey All,
Thanks for all the great feedback so far. In future responses I'd like it if money wasn't brought into this if at all possible. Just tell me what would be in your ultimate hobby shop. Your not the one possibly putting this all together so why respond as if you were? Just looking for some positive feedback on what keeps you in this hobby and what your ultimate race place / hobby shop would be like!

Thanks guys!
My website = www.lutzinator.com, Find me on Facebook at Facebook.com/lutzrc
-Follow me on Twitter @Lutzrc, #LutzRCRevolution
DRCRacer299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #19
Tech Regular

one that has up to date stuff and not just traxxas ... and has sales and maybe a bogo thursday
Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcaputo View Post
one that has up to date stuff and not just traxxas ... and has sales and maybe a bogo thursday
Also I wish they all had all the models on display even the pro stuff ... like a show room ... I like to see
Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #21
Tech Regular

And BOGO Tuesday
Old 05-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In a business point of view, with the onslaught of online website sales and mail order services, I am not sure a traditional brick and mortar hobby shop is still a viable business to begin with.

An adjacent track run by the hobby shop is great to attract people but running and maintaining a track is very costly and only a big hobby shop can afford it. But as a hobby shop grew bigger and stock more stuffs, its overhead cost also grew proportionally which will eat in to its profits.

If you're in control, you're not driving it fast enough!

XRAY / NOVAROSSI / SANWA / AKA TIRES / BYRON FUEL
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #23
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have kicked around the idea of opening up a top notch facility here in Central Texas because I feel that many of the places available to us down here are not prgressive enough with facilities.

Concessions, full electricity, indoor offroad/onroad/electric/nitro (or covered at least) and cleaning stations are a must for me in MY ideal facility. I really am impressed each time I visit Mikes Hobby shop in Porter, TX (just north of Houston). That place is a racers paradise!

Regarding the shop itself, if pricing can be competitive (notice I'm not saying equal to) online mega stores, then I feel confident you could capture a very nice revenue stream. That being said, your inventory would have to be consistently stocked to avoid the dreaded "We can order it for you and you will never buy anything from us again" syndrome. And you need to cary the latest and greatest kits/engines/electronics etc. How many times have we all walked into a shop and had to blow dust off something that has been around since 1983 Racers may make up a small minority of this hobby, but we clearly spend the most money per purchase. Why do you think the mega online stores typically carry more products geared towards us (racers)?

Plaques are great but IMO store credit is better for podium finishers at club races. Practice fees should be no more than $10 for the day given that your facility is as described above.

Now Ryan if I could somehow aquire your driving talent and apply it to my dream facility, that would be the Bee's Knee's
hookem34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I think an indoor or even a covered area is crucial for a track. It allows the track to stay a little more moist therefore saving on tires. The closer the better especially for practice time, but that is sort of uncontrollable. Most people can't drive over an hour to go practice in the evening so it only leaves weekends and those are premium days for racing. Food on site is nice but if located near enough to food options it's not critical. I think the biggest detriment in today's tracks is a lack of solid, printed and checked rules. I realize not everyone likes roar but some sort of standardized rules helps with turnout and quiets the 'that guy is cheating' chatter. I think options that help control costs like spec tire events help too. I've seen a few races lately using this format and have heard nothing but positives from other racers. It shouldn't be very race just one here and there. Could be cityblocks one race and caliburs the next or any other mfr. I think 'track bucks' work well as rewards or discounts off another entry fee.
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
I have kicked around the idea of opening up a top notch facility here in Central Texas because I feel that many of the places available to us down here are not prgressive enough with facilities.

Concessions, full electricity, indoor offroad/onroad/electric/nitro (or covered at least) and cleaning stations are a must for me in MY ideal facility. I really am impressed each time I visit Mikes Hobby shop in Porter, TX (just north of Houston). That place is a racers paradise!

Regarding the shop itself, if pricing can be competitive (notice I'm not saying equal to) online mega stores, then I feel confident you could capture a very nice revenue stream. That being said, your inventory would have to be consistently stocked to avoid the dreaded "We can order it for you and you will never buy anything from us again" syndrome. And you need to cary the latest and greatest kits/engines/electronics etc. How many times have we all walked into a shop and had to blow dust off something that has been around since 1983 Racers may make up a small minority of this hobby, but we clearly spend the most money per purchase. Why do you think the mega online stores typically carry more products geared towards us (racers)?

Plaques are great but IMO store credit is better for podium finishers at club races. Practice fees should be no more than $10 for the day given that your facility is as described above.

Now Ryan if I could somehow aquire your driving talent and apply it to my dream facility, that would be the Bee's Knee's
I second that, Mike's Hobby Shop in Porter is the Best Facility in Texas hands down. Awesome On Road track, Awesome Off Road track, never a rain out and being extended 50ft, Great BBQ at the concession stand by the owner, 95% of the time everything you need is in stock, staff cool as hell.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like to see a covered track, doesn't have to be indoors. Kind of like the picnic areas at some parks. Could do over head lighting and sprinklers to water. Just the ability to have night time races. Far as shop goes, well stocked is a must. People who know the sport as well. Customer service, nothing like going to a shop to see some guy sitting there thinking he is the know all of everything RC and to good to help you.

I used to work at a shop doing repairs, I got payed for repairs, and not by the hour. I didn't work sales or anything, I just would go in when I had free time from my real job because I had a buddy that worked there as well. Funny thing is people wanted me to help them even thoug I wasn't a "real employee". Instead of telling some guy it would be 15 dollors to tune your mill, I would take him out and show him how. I would tell people to meet me after close, and we will get you strait. Guess that is why I don't work there any more cause the owner felt this lost potential money I guess. My thought was that the consumer would think we realy cared about them and would pull them in the shop more. Oh well, guess we are all intitled to our opinion.
Muggified LST- Teal head 427, RD logic pipe, JR servos, panther tires
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #27
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

If you could walk in to your dream hobby shop what would it look like?
A clean/inviting storefront.......Lost of room for layouts, lots of pitspace with courtesy 15a circuits at each space, high traction clay, washing station thats KEPT CLEAN, CLEAN BATHROOMS, STRONG HID lighting, airbrushed/spraypainted graphics/grafitti everywhere just to make it culturally pop and be different from the norm we see all the time, fully stocked parts wall to ALL major race manuf, full top notch pro-race inventory

What would they have on-site that would make your experience even better?
Would things like a permanent concession stand be nice?wi-fi signal is always a good thing, a race announcer that makes it FUN AND EXCITING, so many announcers are just soooo lame! A PA that doesnt distort when turned up past 20db, LOL! concessions would be nice, a few video games, a few large screen tv's that can double as display monitors for timing and also for regular programming. Professional build services for chassis, engine break ins etc.....also offer a class to help newcomers learn...In regards to food, an area on the wall that has all the local carry-out/delivery menus, very helpful to non-locals

When it came to races there what would be a fair price to race a club night?
What's a fair practice fee for all day in your eyes?$15 first class, $10 for any additional, $10 for all day practice with timing

Do you like attending races that are part of a series or are individual?
both....I think they will both have potential to attract a large group.

Would weekly small awards for club races like ribbons or little plaques or hobby shop discounts keep you coming back?
hobby shop cash points towards future purchases.

What would make you willing to purchase parts and kits at said hobby shop instead of online?I do that now on everything I can, they cant get Kyosho so I have no choice but to order it elsewhere, but I like to support the place that is giving me my wheel time. IF they are giving us a place to race, I think it's only fair we support them back for parts/tires/elec. etc.

If this new hobby shop opened up and you ran for brand "X" but this hobby shop carried every part available for brands "Y" "Z" and "Q" would you entertain switching to one of those brands?
no, more than likely not

What are hobby shops not doing today that they need to do if they want to survive in your eyes?listening to the racers, it seems so many track owners want to do what them and their family want to do. It's a bummer because WE are the ones that will make the place thrive, so if they dont listen to the general population thats racing,everyone will always have something to complain about.....I think they need to communicate more with locals to find out what they really want to see

I wish you the BEST this world has to offer....you're a super cool cat, I met you in St. Louis last year......peace and cheers Lutz!

TW

Last edited by Trevor Williams; 05-05-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Just stock parts racers need. No way a LHS can stock EVERYTHING and stay in business long. Tracks do not make money. Hell it cost more money to run a track than the owner would make from entry and practice fees.

I dont like Owners of LHS that talk bad about people not supporting them....... Stock what I need. If you tell me," I can order it." Screw that. I can ebay it then since I have to wait. And a LHS cant offer "online" pricing simply because they dont move as much product as say AMAIN.

Have a indoor 10th/8th EP track
And HUGE Outdoor 8th track. Im not a fan of Indoor nitro..... I think the elements of weather plays a HUGE roll in 8th scale racing......
Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCRacer299 View Post
Hey All,
Thanks for all the great feedback so far. In future responses I'd like it if money wasn't brought into this if at all possible. Just tell me what would be in your ultimate hobby shop. Your not the one possibly putting this all together so why respond as if you were? Just looking for some positive feedback on what keeps you in this hobby and what your ultimate race place / hobby shop would be like!

Thanks guys!
My apologies, I removed that from my post.

Covered track with sunlights, above ground sprinkler system under roof, well lit,track cams feeding into shop, pits etc kinda like liverc format,private pits with power and air, real restrooms, onroad track, offroad track,1/8,1/10, oval dirt,oval carpet or asphalt, airfield with control tower, and 1/4 mile dragstrip sharing same area not same landing strip.
Cover all levels of this hobby,business, livelihood.
Can anybody sketch this out on a pc? Would be cool to see.
Waiting on the DNX408T !
Kolunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Real washrooms. Parts on the wall. Indoor track.