R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 1/8 track question

Ok here's one for discussion. Myself and another local racer are having the same problem and im sure were not the only ones. Seems to be a problem with depth perception. Basically having a problem being precise in car control and placement on the track when the buggy is on the far side of the track. Eye sight is great, so thats not the problem. So what can we do to practice this, overcome this? Lets here how you guys dealt with this..

P.S Im not too sure if this is posted in the right spot, but I wanna here from people that run on med to large size 1/8 scale nitro tracks
Old 05-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Two words that will fix your problem. (Wheel Time)
got_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Vsfriedmugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
+1
Old 05-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sometimes you just have to run a slower, safer line when you can't see. Drive right down the middle.
-Traxxas Spirit
nadan805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
Guess I should have included the fact that I am an hour or so from the track, getting up there 2 times a month if im lucky. Yet Ive been driving R/C for over 25 years.. still struggle with the distance..
Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Finger View Post
Guess I should have included the fact that I am an hour or so from the track, getting up there 2 times a month if im lucky. Yet Ive been driving R/C for over 25 years.. still struggle with the distance..
I have the same problem with depth perception. What I normally do before I drive in and track is walk it first to see if I can spot some "land marks" to help me judge where my car is. Another thing that helps me is when the track starts to get grooved up, it makes it easier for me to see where I am in the lane. Other than that track time always helps.
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin32j View Post
I have the same problem with depth perception. What I normally do before I drive in and track is walk it first to see if I can spot some "land marks" to help me judge where my car is. Another thing that helps me is when the track starts to get grooved up, it makes it easier for me to see where I am in the lane. Other than that track time always helps.
+1

Back in my Motocross days we always walked the line we wanted to hit. I would always stop to take little things in like ruts from other guys lines. In between heats I would check the line again and make sure it was still good. Tracks change and what might have been good in heat 1 is rutted out or blown out by heat 2.

I don't have much RC experience yet, but I guess the best thing I can say is walk it, pick your line and mark and then do it slow until you can nail it every time. In practice keep running that section if it helps. No need to waste time on sections you can nail if you only get out a few times a month.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have very poor sight in one eye and 20/25 in other, so I have very poor depth perception. My body just shuts down one eye and it will acctually start to wonder. The glasses the doc gave me cause headaches, so I only really usew them when driving my real car. I have had 2 opperations to help with the wondering eye part, but it has come back. A far as racing, these are the tips I use that help me. Pic a collor sceem that is easy to see. Solid black is hard as well as alot of the dark paints. I find that the going with alot of sharp contrast helps. White with black for example, plus I useally toss in a floresent color like green or orange. I used to take a black sharpy and color in the recesed area on my white rims where the hexs are as it kind of helps you judge. Concentrait on timing, not that I count ot anything, its like learning a special move on a video game. I try to hit the same line in the back field every time. Get good at setup, I have a hard enouph time dealing with seeing much less fighting the car itself. Funny thing is I drive worse now if I try to wear my glasses because I did it so long without and got used to it I guess
Muggified LST- Teal head 427, RD logic pipe, JR servos, panther tires
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I went to the optometrist and had him adjust my perscription so it was best at distance. This helped a little. But the biggest thing is just track time as above.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to RockStar_199 Send a message via MSN to RockStar_199 Send a message via Yahoo to RockStar_199

nothing beats track time. also on practice days (just like in motocross) if im having trouble in a section i would go on the track and drive that section over and over to get the feel for it then stand a lil further away and run some like that as well. then it would be back to the driver stand and i could get through there better than before just by feel
J&T Bearing Co.
RC Pro TX10280
RockStar_199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Thanks guys I will try out all the suggestions above. Just figured I'd put it out there knowing I wasn't the only one struggling with this.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default thanks guys

You guys all gave great advice thank you all for being so helpful. Mr Crash races at my track in Wilmington Ohio. I couldn't remember his Name when he signed up and he said "just call me Mr Crash". You gotta love that, but seriously Erin you are right on the edge of going fast. C-Ya wed and fri nights for the above mentioned wheel time!
bigdaddyquale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes...thanks guys! and thanks aaron for posting...

insanity takes it's toll...please have exact change
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #14
Tech Elite

I think this is why alot of people are standing on a box on the drivers stand. So they can get a better view of the back of the track.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the same problem. I am supposed to wear glasses but have not bought them yet, and getting to the track(1 hour away) it is difficult to get track time, also the track is not open everyday.
With gas prices gonna be hitting 5 dollars a gallon or more(currently at $4.10+ a gallon, my only vehicle is a 1992 Olds Bravada 4x4 with all wheel drive, I seem to get 12-15 MPG, it will cost 40-50 Dollars to drive there and back, and with no job and an income of 50 dollars a week racing season may be non existent, UNLESS I can get the welding Job I applied for soon.
Race Vehicles-SC8 w/ GRP .28 Tuned,RC8T FT-Reedy VR 121 .21, 2035 pipe, RC8B-Reedy .21
http://www.jerrysrcraceway.com/
mgtmadness2007 is offline   Reply With Quote