D8 Problems

Old 07-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default D8 Problems

I am having a bunch of problems with my D8 breaking during almost every race. It started out great ( i have had the car since january)then all of a sudden two weeks ago I started breaking something everytime i drove it. I drove a losi last year and rarely broke parts but with the D8 its all the time now. i get a bad one or what? i know some people are having really great luck with these buggies. how are you guys doing it? i dont mean to sound like I am bashing this car i love how the car drives and how its set up but i cant finish a race with the darn thing now. thank you for your time.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Not trying to sway you away from the D8 or anything, but out of about 20 guys at local tracks i have spoke with, only one of them had anything positive to say about the car. I have heard nothing but people complain about the drivetrain, shock towers etc. I wish you luck though and hopefully it is a good car and you are having a streak of bad luck lol
Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

What parts are you breaking? I've only broke mine three times since I've had it(6 months). And all three times was cause a hard crash or casing a big jump one too many times. Are you doing regular maint. on it?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

i have broken a wing mount, but i dont really count this one cause it was a bad crash, the parts i break a lot are the steering ball ends (2 times) and the shock ball ends(4 times). i have also broken both of the front cvds along with two broken tanks. all of this has happened with in the last two weeks. they have all also occured by themselves so its not like i had one crash and all of this happened. its like a plague. I have started running the buggy almost everyday for the past two weeks. so i keep up with maintaining it. is this normal I havent been able to finish a race, it sucks paying $25 to get only 5 min of total race time. I really do love how this thing drives so i hope it works itself out. thanks again
Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Running every day can increase wear and the chance of breakage. Just a thought
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah i understand that the more i run the more i wear the car out. I also understand that the parts that i am breaking for are cheap and easy to fix for the most part. i just want to make it all the way through a race. my losi never broke like this or this often. thinking about switching back to a losi
Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

The D8 is famous for its handling, not its ability to take beatings.
Ran my Mugen 15 gallons last year, only thing I broke was bearings.
Only 2 gallons on my Tamiya so far, but its holding up great.

The parts youre breaking are peanuts, just live with it.
You'd probably just gotten faster, so everything you do now is with more energy
Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I would suggest the replacing and checking the plastics. HB plastics are very good IMO but just like everything they do wear out. I have run a number of cars and after 6 months the car just needs a fresh rebuild. For the CVD's I grease them with moble 1 synthetic grease before every race and have not had one fail. As far as the other stuff that is breaking it sounds like where you are running either has some really big jumps or is really rough. Did your Fuel tank crack??? cause alot of time its just the fuel line inside the Clunk..
Old 07-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

did not break a single plastic part on my D8 (except front spidle but that does not count as it was after 30feet long jump that thanks to wind ended at a concrete wall)
Old 07-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (67%+)

I've got about 5 gallons on my d8 and had no issues until the dreaded cvd breakage last week and hot bodies was quick to take care of that. The d8 can take a beating and ask for more as far as I'm concerned! Oh almost forgot, I did strip a screw on the hub carrier, but that was after a hard landing. I always make sure I clean it with a air compressor after each run and check for anything that appears to be wearing and I replace it, haven't had any major issues yet!! But to break as much as you have in a 2 week time span, I don't know. I hate to say maybe you need to look at it a little better after each run, but running it everyday for 2 straight weeks will take it's toll eventually. No matter what buggy it is!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

i know the parts i am breaking are cheap and easy but they dont allow you to finish a race. I have a bunch of parts on order from amain so with a little luck and some new parts i wont have anymore problems. the strange thing is, is its like it just all of a sudden started breaking. i have crashed the heck out of this thing and broken nothing and then i start breaking things all the time. maybe it just the plastic weakening over time from the abuse of racing. thanks for all of your help and thank you for not jumping all over me about saying the buggy was breaking, i was worried that you guy would think that i was just bad mouthing the buggy. i really love the buggy when its working
Old 07-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Good luck with the D8!! I have had mine since late October of last year and only broke one major thing and that was my fault. I have had the CVD issues but its nothing major as Hotbodies usually takes care of that. Only upgrade I did was ACE towers. I knew about the shock tower issue last year and was one of the first to bring up that issue. Alot of guys back then were saying no its not an issue, but as time went on alot realized it. We all wreck yes but to get Shawn from ACE to make such a good product and allow the buggy to finish is great. I use washers to hold my tank in place along with the rubber grommet. I also use washers to hold he outer hinge pins in place. I use even thinner washer to take up some space in the rear uprights and front spindle carrier. The buggy gets taken apart after every race weekend and cleaned. Its a good buggy dont give up on it just yet.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I am with the others, i have punished my D8 and I haven't broken a part yet. I had a CVD come apart but that was my fault.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Sucks to hear you having problems, I hope you get it all sorted out! I love my D8 and the only time I break out is driver error, this is my first
year racing off road and this buggy has held up through my learning curve, but I also do complete tear downs after every weekend and perform a good check on everything. Hope you stick with it, if not post it on the D8 thred and I'm shure the D8 army will take it off your hands!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

I am going to stick with the D8 for a bit, I want to see how it reacts with the new parts. I am also going to rebuild and re-lube everything so its as good as new again. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.