R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   D8 Hara Flipping over (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/508001-d8-hara-flipping-over.html)

Jeezey 04-28-2011 11:01 AM

D8 Hara Flipping over

I'm in the process of tweeking my new HB D8 Hara and one big issue I have is the thing is ALWAYS tumbling over when I turn it around. Obviously I know what to target, the tires, foams, ride height, shocks and oil, but I was just wondering if anybody else has run into this problem and can offer a quick fix. It usually flips over when im driving it on the grass, but also does it very frequently on the blacktop, either that or its 3 wheelin around corners lol. I have everything stock with the suspension and am running some proline calibur tires with red foams I think.

Has anyone else had this problem with their buggies and knows a quick fix?
Thanks!

token 04-28-2011 12:07 PM

Slow down.

blktransam 04-28-2011 12:26 PM

plus 1 ^^^ :lol:

mblgjr 04-28-2011 01:30 PM

Grass? Pavement?

If you're never racing on dirt...then yeah theres a few quick things to change.

Move the upper rear camber link to the innermost and lowermost position at the shock tower.

Move all the shocks "out" at the control arm attaching points.

Run more negative camber all around, but specifically the rear.

Harder compound tires (because on grass and on pavement you'd rather be digging or sliding; soft compounds don't allow that to happen).

rjgreen4 04-28-2011 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jeezey (Post 9032251)
I'm in the process of tweeking my new HB D8 Hara and one big issue I have is the thing is ALWAYS tumbling over when I turn it around. Obviously I know what to target, the tires, foams, ride height, shocks and oil, but I was just wondering if anybody else has run into this problem and can offer a quick fix. It usually flips over when im driving it on the grass, but also does it very frequently on the blacktop, either that or its 3 wheelin around corners lol. I have everything stock with the suspension and am running some proline calibur tires with red foams I think.

Thanks!

lower the ride height would be my first suggestion - try 27mm at the rear, 26mm at the front. Drop the car from 300mm, press the suspension down at the front and rear at the same time, let go and let the shocks lift the car up then take the measurements from the deck to the underside of the chassis.

If the car is 3 wheeling around corners based on the front end giving way first then i would assume that the rear end is too high and the front end is slightly too soft. Try 1.4 pistons with 400 in the front and either 450 in the rear, always run the front 50-100 wt softer + run the stock shock positions.

you never really need to run the rear shocks on the inside hole as there is more then enough droop on the outside hole.

If the rear end is giving way first then i would assume that the rear is too soft and the front is too high.

try the aforementioned and it will solve the problem.

1.3's will give slightly more grip on dirt and obviously more pack.

In the UK we race quite a lot on grass which turns to dirt if dry enough.

Also try 3,3,2 in the diffs if the track is slippy, 5,5,2 if grips is not too bad and 7,7,2 if really grippy.

Also run the stock camber positions

Give it a go and let me know how you get on.

dashstryk3 04-28-2011 07:39 PM

Check your sway bar. It shouldn't be too loose and shouldn't be too tight either.

token 04-29-2011 06:17 AM

I love this site.:)

Jeezey 04-29-2011 08:27 AM

Thanks for the tips all, I did a quick run last night and loosened my front spring compression and it worked a little better but still flipped over at good speeds. Ive ordered some hard compound tires which AKA says is best for grass or pavement. Currently my tires are among the worst for grass and pavement so I'll see how they make a difference. I'll try to play with the camber and ride height as well. My sway bars seem to be perfect.

rjgreen i dont know if im much more of a novice than I thought or if yall use different #'s in the UK but I have no idea what 1.4 pistons are, or what 3,3, 5,5, or 7,7,2 means lol. By 400 and 450 weight are u referring to 40 and 45 wt shock oil? 450 seems wayyyy too thick of an oil to me or am I missing something?Everything else I got lol.

I'm not a big racer, but I do run at my local track and my D8 currently performs wonders on it. However, the price to run on the track is currently crazy high in comparrison to the gas it takes me to get there among other things so those runs are limited, not 2 mention the dirt that seems to always get past my filter and into my engine (yes its oiled, ziptied and sealed everywhere) so mostly I run out in my fewacres of mostly grass and gravel. Not very fun when I have to drive cautiously and am always havin to run and flip the buggy back over.

morgoth 04-29-2011 08:43 AM

Raise the camberlink on the tower to lower the rollcenter.
Use stiffer springs, thicker oil and lean the shocks to get less griproll.
Use the shortest rear camberlink, this will increase the cambergain.
Use a 3.0mm sway in the front and rear.
Run a little more camber. 3° front and 4° rear is perfect.
Thick diffs like 15-15-7 are the way to go on high grip surfaces like astro and gras.
Limit the droop.

Tony Newland 04-29-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by token (Post 9036267)
I love this site.:)

best post evrrrrrrr lmao

Klimpen717 04-29-2011 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Newland (Post 9037189)
best post evrrrrrrr lmao

Second best post eva :blush:

RCelik 04-29-2011 03:54 PM

Get yourself a Hudy 1/8 Buggy set up kit. Without a proper setup, the car is worthless.

j_blaze14 04-29-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jeezey (Post 9032251)

Thanks!

too much traction, these cars were made to drive on dirt. try harder tires or bald tires on grass/concrete, save the others for the track.

rjgreen4 04-30-2011 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by morgoth (Post 9036830)
Raise the camberlink on the tower to lower the rollcenter.
Use stiffer springs, thicker oil and lean the shocks to get less griproll.
Use the shortest rear camberlink, this will increase the cambergain.
Use a 3.0mm sway in the front and rear.
Run a little more camber. 3° front and 4° rear is perfect.
Thick diffs like 15-15-7 are the way to go on high grip surfaces like astro and gras.
Limit the droop.

In the UK we race 6 months of the year on astro, mainly using schumacher mini pins when the astro is dry, as you can imagine the grip level is immense and needs the most careful thumbs in order to not grip roll - we actually drimmel the pins down as the tyres create too much grip.

To date I don't think the HB team run oils so thick in the diffs, the most we run is 7k, this will give more than enough drive in the centre to get up and over anything. I have found if you go any thicker on high grip tracks that the front end of the car wants to lift when coming off jumps and bumps.

If the car is lifting a wheel the first thing to do is ride height, followed by assessing the level of damping in the shocks.

If you can lift the car from 300 to 400 mm and drop, if the car bottoms out then its too soft.

I would say to leave the roll centre and sway bars as stock firstly, sort out the shocks and ride height firstly, followed by droop. If you are getting too much grip roll then lower the car, limit the droop, then if its still rolling try chopping the tyres.

At the end of the day if the tyres are creating so much grip then I would target these as a priority as altering the set up of the car so much to prevent it grip rolling might make the car handle pants around the track.

Don't forget that if you stiffen the shocks, put thicker roll bars, thicker diffs, put more camber and take shed loads of droop of the car = a car that might not grip roll in the corners, however will be pants over bumps and jumps, bounce around and generally be pants to drive.

Try one thing at a time and see what the difference makes

Jeezey 05-01-2011 06:27 PM

Thanks everybody. I got the problem resolved real quick. I changed my shock oil to 55 rear and 40 front and lowered the ride height to about 22mm. This is what I tried first before, but I was still running the stock shock oil which must be about 30 and it was wayy too soft. With the 55 in the rear its much better and even at full speed pretty much I hit the brake and turn and the buggy slides over the grass. Of course it helps when my grass has been freshly cut too.