R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Where do you put the holes in the tires?

I have always put the holes in the tread of the tires with a leather punch. One of the other good drivers at our track has been punching the holes in the sidewall of the tire. His opinion is that with closed cell foams, the air doesn't travel through the foam and can't escape through the foam like it does with the old proline white foams. I took a proline closed cell foam and tried to blow through it and he is right. I couldn't blow through it at all. He says putting the hole in the sidewall of the tire lets the air escape better. What is everybody elses opinion on this?
Jethro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro14 View Post
I have always put the holes in the tread of the tires with a leather punch. One of the other good drivers at our track has been punching the holes in the sidewall of the tire. His opinion is that with closed cell foams, the air doesn't travel through the foam and can't escape through the foam like it does with the old proline white foams. I took a proline closed cell foam and tried to blow through it and he is right. I couldn't blow through it at all. He says putting the hole in the sidewall of the tire lets the air escape better. What is everybody elses opinion on this?
One of my freinds does the same thing he puts the hole in the side and i still put mine in the center of the tire but in my opinion i think either one will work i think its just a matter of preffrence.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I saw someone else putting the holes in the side wall of the tire the other day, I think I will try that method this weekend and see how it works. The theory behind this makes sense to me.
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

With the holes in the center of the tires squeze it and you will hear the air come out. The air is between the tire and foam not the air within the foam.

Plus with the hole in the center dirt and water spin out, a hole on the side wall would let more dirt in and not let it out.

Just leave the hole in the center.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
With the holes in the center of the tires squeze it and you will hear the air come out. The air is between the tire and foam not the air within the foam.

Plus with the hole in the center dirt and water spin out, a hole on the side wall would let more dirt in and not let it out.

+1, pretty much what i was about to say
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to VWVR6_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin32j View Post
I saw someone else putting the holes in the side wall of the tire the other day, I think I will try that method this weekend and see how it works. The theory behind this makes sense to me.
What's the theory behind using the holes in the sides walls? Please do tell..
QUOTE by FLHX1550 "The Werks B5 is kind of a legend"
VWVR6_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:

+1 -

Holes on the side will collect more dirt, especially while turning.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:

+1
Old 04-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why not just drill a small hole in the inside of the wheel itself instead of the tire? I know the RC10GT2 wheels already have vents in the wheels, and I imagine others do as well.

-Brian
7kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
Tech Adept

I put holes on the side wall of my tires but make sure that they are on the inside. I used to put them in the center but I saw Brandon Melton putting them in the side. I asked him why and he said that the dirt doesn't get in the tires like it would with the center holes and that he can reuse is foams many times over anfd the still look new.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If I see a rim with vent holes, I plug them. Centerline of tire only for me.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7kings View Post
Why not just drill a small hole in the inside of the wheel itself instead of the tire? I know the RC10GT2 wheels already have vents in the wheels, and I imagine others do as well.

-Brian
Because holes on the wheel it self lets dirt and sand in..........
Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey7 View Post
I put holes on the side wall of my tires but make sure that they are on the inside. I used to put them in the center but I saw Brandon Melton putting them in the side. I asked him why and he said that the dirt doesn't get in the tires like it would with the center holes and that he can reuse is foams many times over anfd the still look new.
Dirt would still make it's way in even if the were on the inside. Let's say left front tire, you turn left. So the inside edge of that tire is now the leading edge and the hole is open to dirt. Once the dirt is in it will go to the centerline of the tire via cintrifical force, and it's there to stay.

With the hole on the center the dirt has a better chance of making it out. On a hard pack track with minimal fluff I think one would be fine with sidewall holes, but on a soft track it's a dirt trap.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+5 for holes only in the tread area. Holes on the sides of the tires and inside the wheel will only let dirt in and not back out. Not good.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
Tech Adept

I will try this hole placement on my next set and report back to this thread!
OBMIT is offline   Reply With Quote