R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default 1/8th Buggy Tire Tech

I thought I would post up a thread where we could get some general tire tech Q&A going. I searched for a little bit so if a thread is already started let me know and I will delete it. Don't really want to get into this brand is the best or that brand just a general knowledge thread. I have a few questions on choosing the best pattern and most important how to choose the correct compound for conditions. I know that each manufacture has a small description but would like to see what some guy's are doing for their choice in tire selection. Temp, track conditions ect.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

pick a tire brand and stick to it.

make sure you got a harder compound tire when the track heats up

ss and m4 is not always the answer trust me
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

At what temp. should you switch to Med? I usually just get soft. It seems to be a happy medium for me.
one8updragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Ambient temp isnt the only thing to keep in mind, also check how the track is holding water. If its hold water well but its 80-90 degrees out i would still consider a softer compound because the track temp is going to be much cooler so it will be softer and wont make the pins on the softer compound fold over.. I usually run ss in the winter, i usually swap when it reaches 70 degrees . But if im practicing or it the track isnt holding water i will go up to soft. Soft and supersoft is normally all i run. but if the track is very abrasive and its drying out fast i will go up to a med mainly so i can still have tread at the end of the race.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

How often do you go through a set of buggy tires? I see guys talking about wearing out a set of tires during quals (usually 3) and running a new set during the main. Maybe I'm just not driving fast enough?! I check my tires for wear and abuse and don't find that I need to change my tires anywhere near that often. I am comfortable with my use of tires and changing them when I need to at this point, but wonder if I am faster if I will wear them out at a much higher rate?
ProLine! Upgrade RC!
Spads11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spads11 View Post
How often do you go through a set of buggy tires? I see guys talking about wearing out a set of tires during quals (usually 3) and running a new set during the main. Maybe I'm just not driving fast enough?! I check my tires for wear and abuse and don't find that I need to change my tires anywhere near that often. I am comfortable with my use of tires and changing them when I need to at this point, but wonder if I am faster if I will wear them out at a much higher rate?

my experience with tire wear is directly related to tire spin and how abrassive the track surface is along with compound choice. Sounds like you have the combo down pretty good if you arent wearing out tires quickly.

EPRC-Wichita KS|EPRC.club@gmail.com| www.emeryparkrc.com
Pin2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Tech Regular

With my track i can normally squeeze 1.5 race days or 1 practice day out of a set of softs. I put new tires on for the main and use them for the quals next race day and put new ones on for the main and so on. With the tread that is left i can get a practice day from 2 use sets.

So 2 race days and a practice day i use 2 sets of tires.
NCS Custom Paint Works
Nick411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Tech Addict

In my experiences it all depends on the track condition. I have been to some tracks that were so grooved up that a set of mediums (small pin) were worn out in a 7 min qualifier, but the traction was so good you couldn't even tell they were bald. I have raced on other tracks where a set of super softs lasted me from practice through the mains.
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Like others have said it mostly depends on the driving style and track surface. I mostly run m3 or soft, except for HB megabytes I run Pink (SS) most of the tiime. I also find that bigger pin tires such as bowties or I-beams (SS) is worthless because the pins fold over way too much due to the length if the pins. I think I'm a little odd when it comes to tires though because when a track gets super blue grooved and most go to a small pin medium compound, I go to a soft I-beam. To me it turns more consistent laps, and doesn't go away by the end of the race.

I'm trying a few Sweep tires this year because of the prices I can get on them I will post back in a few weeks when I have gotten a good amt of run on them, and can give good feedback.

MBX6-XZ-B Speed, MBX6T-Ninja, Hitec, Savox, Futaba 4pk
drewmugx5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks for the words everyone. The Sweeps do look pretty enticing to try. At my track Duratax Shotguns are pretty good actually. I have a new set of Snipers that I have yet to run..
ProLine! Upgrade RC!
Spads11 is offline   Reply With Quote