Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget 1/8 Truggy Basher/Racer

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Budget 1/8 Truggy Basher/Racer

A friend recently got me interested in RC cars again, and so I've decided to put one together. Last I've had one is a Nitro Stampede, over 10 years ago.

I always wanted a larger scale truggy back then, so I researched them to get an idea of what I want. I'm going to get a 1/8 truggy roller, and use some of my friend's extra parts to complete it. So I'll be up and running on an awesome platform for around $150-$200

I'm currently considering the 8ight T, MBX5T, MBX6T, and D8T. Leaning towards the Mugen because I've read they can tolerate the most abuse. Are there any other models you may suggest I look for?

I plan to bash the crap out of it primarily, but am interested in hitting up the track occasionally, and would like to contend.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

Team Associated RC8T and Serpent 811T are others to look at. You're definitely looking at the right companies though. I am currently awaiting the arrival of my D8T kit I ordered. Don't look at Kyosho unless you want to sell one of your kidneys. Over $1000 just for a kit, according to the website anyways. That's just way too pricey IMO for something you are mostly going to bash.

In regards to durability, I have also heard the Mugens are built like tanks. However, one thing to consider is what your LHS carries. Do they carry a lot of Mugen stuff? I've heard the D8T is reasonably durable, but it also has easy parts availability and they're one of the cheapest too. So it's easy to keep extras on hand without breaking the bank.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would say for bashing the D8T is the strongest. and would take the most abuse. All are great Racing truggies.

Lance
RcRenew
Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replies.

One more thing I'd like to add. I plan to convert the truggy to electric at some point. Would one convert better then others?

I own various machines including a CNC mill, so I plan to make the necessary parts myself.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

not such a good idea converting an old truggy to electric, if there is too much wear and play in the drive train you will start snapping driveshafts and damaging pinion gears...a buggy's a better option if your going to convert it.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by curacing2
not such a good idea converting an old truggy to electric, if there is too much wear and play in the drive train you will start snapping driveshafts and damaging pinion gears...a buggy's a better option if your going to convert it.
Safe if the roller has had little run time? I was considering a buggy as well, but I will be using it on grass often, and thought a truggy would be better suited.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Tamiya 801xt

Right now you can get a 1/8 801xt truggy on flebay for 250.its not rtr but you wont find a better deal on a top notch nitro roller..my 2cents