Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toe In/Toe Out Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Toe In/Toe Out Question

I have read what Toe In and Toe Out does to the handling aspects of the car, but I have seen several instances where one wheel is straight and the other is pointed outward.

Is there a purpose for this type of setup? Or is this a mistake?

Thanks for the input
Old 04-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Its a mistake. when you turn on the RX the tires should have equal amounts of toe on both sides.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Its a mistake. when you turn on the RX the tires should have equal amounts of toe on both sides.
Thanks, I was wondering why this would be.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 AM
Uga
Tech Regular

There could also be a play in the steering rods which is normal, so standing still it could look like each wheel has a different angle, but actualy when running on track both wheels will tend to take the maximum negative position. To adjust toe, push the wheels as wide open as it allows with your fingers.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Measuring Toe

I know that you can measure toe angle with setup boards such as Hudy but they are expensive, and I also believe that RPM makes a gauge as well although it probably is not as accurate by much more reasonable in price

Are there other effective methods for measuring toe angle?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Ola
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tk1931
I know that you can measure toe angle with setup boards such as Hudy but they are expensive, and I also believe that RPM makes a gauge as well although it probably is not as accurate by much more reasonable in price

I use a camber gauge to adjust toe in/out.. I just use a long flat piece of metal/wood that goes across the entire car width + 2" outside both sides.. I hold this piece against both wheels, and measure the toe angle between this piece and the wheel, horisontaly..

Ofcourse, the servo/power has to be ON first.
I usually double check sub trimming, and servo horn position to be correct before i start adjusting.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

+1 it's a mistake, you'll want each side to be the same.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Even if there is play, it should still even out to be the same right?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hudy and JQ both have outstanding setup guides that talk about all the adjustments that can be made.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Ola
I use a camber gauge to adjust toe in/out.. I just use a long flat piece of metal/wood that goes across the entire car width + 2" outside both sides.. I hold this piece against both wheels, and measure the toe angle between this piece and the wheel, horisontaly..

Ofcourse, the servo/power has to be ON first.
I usually double check sub trimming, and servo horn position to be correct before i start adjusting.
I think I am following you...I am assuming "this piece" is the camber gauge?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Ola
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think I am following you...I am assuming "this piece" is the camber gauge?
Sorry, language problems

I ment you measure the toe angle, against the wood/metal "piece" that you run across the width of the car..

If you got 0` toe, this will be at a 90dg angle of the wheel, comprende?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It looks like a mistake but if you turn on your receiver and transmitter and center it, it will show that you have equal amount of "toe out" if not it's just slop that's giving the illusion.

Toe out in the front increases your steering response when entering turns and increases straight line stability but will take away some on power steering.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey,what u could do is,first decide whats your toe in/out angles u desire(usually measured in degrees) use the turnbuckle wrench and adjust both sides,make sure u make even turns on both sides..then use a ruler or vernier caliper to measure the toe angles (measure from the inner part of the rim to the other inner part of the rim) right to left..if its not right,then do ur adjustments again..base from what i know,2 degrees is approximately 1mm..lastly,measure your turnbuckle on each sides to make sure its even,hope this helps..
Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Ola
Sorry, language problems

I ment you measure the toe angle, against the wood/metal "piece" that you run across the width of the car..

If you got 0` toe, this will be at a 90dg angle of the wheel, comprende?
I understand now thanks for the advice.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by skittles
Hey,what u could do is,first decide whats your toe in/out angles u desire(usually measured in degrees) use the turnbuckle wrench and adjust both sides,make sure u make even turns on both sides..then use a ruler or vernier caliper to measure the toe angles (measure from the inner part of the rim to the other inner part of the rim) right to left..if its not right,then do ur adjustments again..base from what i know,2 degrees is approximately 1mm..lastly,measure your turnbuckle on each sides to make sure its even,hope this helps..
Good advice....thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.