R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? rustler with a picco.26

Hi guys.

So I picked up this used rustler with a picco.26 in it and I'm having some issues.

Today I ran it and that thing is nuts it will do a wheelie at full speed if I let off the throttle and get back on it.

Well my problem is when it flips it snaps parts. Today I broke a front shock the spindle that holds the tires on . The guy I bough it from knows what he's doing he has been in the game for over 20 years and has owned his own shop so the drive line is all upgraded to handle that picco.

What do you guys think will be parts to be upgraded on to make it not so breakable. Like aluminum axial carriers and hubs?

Thanks for the help because I'm needing it. Oo I spend 160 on it.
doug e fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I've got a 3.3 in my rustler and it tends to cart wheel at high speed when I lose control and inevitably things break.

Rather than try to make everything more solid and durable I've found you're better off making 'some' things tougher but actually using parts that will cause the smallest, cheapest thing to break, rather than the big expensive hard to change parts.

I've replaced my front and rear shock towers with fibreglass ones so they don't seem to break any more BUT I've also removed my rear shock screws that go in to the tower and replaced them with cable ties. Before I did this I would bust shock caps and snap rear towers but now when I crash it just busts a cable tie, everything else is ok and it's a quick easy fix to get back up and running. I wouldn't recommend it for racing (due to suspension alignment and tuning) but for bashing it's fine.

If you upgrade to aluminium parts then the stress the car receives won't always break them but it will send the stress down the line to the next weakest part which will snap. It's a tough one but with time you'll learn what keeps needing replacing and see if you can make changes one at a time to see if that helps you tune that so the cheapest part breaks

PS, plastic is lighter and more flexible than metal so remember this when upgrading. Once you bend metal it's not so good if you straighten it and shock it again.
RObErT_RaTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Tech Addict

traxxas cars really aint made to handle that much power, e.g v8 in honda civic... poor thing would brake its diffs in a heartbeat.
as far as traxxas quality goes its quite a let down, even on their big bad powerfull "cars" they have plastic drive shafts with ball twists that pop off the pins...

if you wanted that much power, could of got a truggy(any decent race brand) or monster truck(hpi e.g savage x 4.6) rustlers are basically made for strait line WOT passes, the jato 2.5 could get up on its back wheels just as easy so why have even more power there to just destroy the thing...? but once again its just a strait line car...

no upgrades will stop a traxxas car from breaking with that much power sorry to say.
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote