R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #1

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default Hard Decision: Help me choose!

Ok, so I'm faced with a hard decision.

Right now I have a DX3.0 radio which has always served me well. It has all the race features I need, epa, expo, trim, subtrim, etc. It is a little old and heavy, but I have grown used to it and like its feel.

I also have a OS vzb v-spec, with under 2 gallons on it. It ran well, but at the end of last season it was having some tuning problems, which are either from a leak in the fuel tank/line/filter or the engine itself. It has a speed rod in it.

So with Nitro season rolling around the corner, do I

A: Get a new DX3R Pro

B: Get a Werks B5 Engine Clocked and broken in by Neal at Clockwork racing, with a 2013 pipe and possibly ceramics.

What say you? The Vspec was a mistake in the first place, but it could make a good backup. I don't need a new radio, but a new one would be nice.
Muggydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

i'd say go with the werks. their stuff is amazing! just get that and when the DX3C comes out you can get that it's pretty much the same as the DX3.0 but with 20 model memory
I Support: Futaba--Holmes Hobbies--Savox--Castle Creations--Tekin
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Buy the B5. The radio doesn't have the benefits Neals B5 will give you.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Figure out whats wrong with the vspec, 2 gallons seems like a waste to stop using it. And save your money.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #5

I'm thinking possibly wait and see first. Get a little more on the vspec.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Tech Elite

It could be something small like you said. I would 1st change your fuel lines, filter, and tank. If there are still issues, check out the engine. It could just be a leaky front bearing. $50 at most fix.

Edit. Dont get me wrong, you will be very happy with a Clocked B5, but if you have issues happening before the fuel even hits the carb, no engine will help you. My other recommendation would be, if you buy an engine from Neil, send him your Vspec to inspect.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #7

Maybe sell the vspec? It's a good motor, only about 1.5 gallons on it. I looked at the fuel tank today and it's cracked So that was my problem. Would it be worth it to keep as a backup? Or sell and get the b5
Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
Maybe sell the vspec? It's a good motors, only about 1.5 gallons on it. I looked at the fuel tank today and it's cracked So that was my problem. Would it be worth it to keep as a backup? Or sell and get the b5
No one here should tell you what to do with your money. Obviously it wasnt the engines fault you had a cracked tank. Earlier you said 2 gallons. At 2 gallons the Vspec is just starting to open up. Honestly, you might get $100 for a used Vspec. For $100, its worth keeping for a back up if your heart is set on getting a new one.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #9

I think I will run for a race day or two and see what I think after that. Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
Ok, so I'm faced with a hard decision.

Right now I have a DX3.0 radio which has always served me well. It has all the race features I need, epa, expo, trim, subtrim, etc. It is a little old and heavy, but I have grown used to it and like its feel.

I also have a OS vzb v-spec, with under 2 gallons on it. It ran well, but at the end of last season it was having some tuning problems, which are either from a leak in the fuel tank/line/filter or the engine itself. It has a speed rod in it.

So with Nitro season rolling around the corner, do I

A: Get a new DX3R Pro

B: Get a Werks B5 Engine Clocked and broken in by Neal at Clockwork racing, with a 2013 pipe and possibly ceramics.

What say you? The Vspec was a mistake in the first place, but it could make a good backup. I don't need a new radio, but a new one would be nice.
you absolutley need to check out the new mt4! like you i needed a new radio. I am coming from a m11 and wanted something different, i was just about to bite the bullet on the m11x, when i saw the new airtronics radio. it's retails for 260 (funds are ridiculously tight this year), and come to think of it, the m11 was heavy, bulky and awkward. The mt4 is light as a feather, as fast as the m11x, programable switches and failsafes on every chanel (4 channels) easy as heck to use LCD menu, has no atenae (it's inside the handle) has removeable grips to adjust to your hand size, the trigger, wheel can be postioned like you want (and tension of course), and it has real time telemetry which i have not set up yet (don't really care). know your reciever voltage is something all radios should be able to do, but not many at all do. it has everything expo, dual rate, anti lock brakes, 4 channel servo mixxing, and lots of other things like temp and rpm sensor but that is not why i got it.

I like it much more then my m11 so far and it's one of the best things i have ever bought in rc.

And reciever is high voltage lip compatible

buy the mt4 some tko bearings and a new rod. All problems solved!

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Keep your radio unless your going to switch to something like a KO or ..... well to be honest I dont like anything else on the market right now. Stick with the spectrum dsm, tried the KO 2.4 and though it was crap.

As for your engine, throw a new piston and sleeve at it, green slime the carb and go racing.

If you are going to switch engines and your track is rough consider the OS
19xz-b. I see guys at the track all the time with huge engines and they can't put the power down. The smaller engine will probably allow you to accelerate harder and be a lot easier to drive. You will also almost never have to pit because the engine barely drinks any fuel.
NitrousBIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Get the airtronics mt4 and a b5 man!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrousBIG View Post
Keep your radio unless your going to switch to something like a KO or ..... well to be honest I dont like anything else on the market right now. Stick with the spectrum dsm, tried the KO 2.4 and though it was crap.

As for your engine, throw a new piston and sleeve at it, green slime the carb and go racing.

If you are going to switch engines and your track is rough consider the OS
19xz-b. I see guys at the track all the time with huge engines and they can't put the power down. The smaller engine will probably allow you to accelerate harder and be a lot easier to drive. You will also almost never have to pit because the engine barely drinks any fuel.
There is so many things wrong with this post I don't know were to start.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #14

Green slime, yay!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Man I put that green slime on evry thing