Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
ANDROID Nitro Runtime App >

ANDROID Nitro Runtime App

ANDROID Nitro Runtime App

Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

Default ANDROID Nitro Runtime App

Fresh from the mind of Jesse Robbers and developed by Jared Kirkwood is an Android phone app that precisely calculates the runtime of your nitro powered R/C vehicle, yet is very simple to use and understand.

Pit strategy is often overlooked, and if done incorrectly can result in lost time or track position due to excessive pit stop(s), or lap(s), that is given to your competition due to flame outs making your results not as great as they could be. To use this app you enter in a few numbers and the app will tell your maximum runtime (empty fuel tank). The app will also calculate your pit strategy for your main event race, listing the recommended times that you should pit given your runtime and also the amount of runtime 'difference' that you have to work with. The app also provides information for a 'risk it' pit strategy which can be used if you are feeling confident based on your maximum runtime and the race length.

This information is very beneficial for your pit man to know so that they know if they can, and for how long, that they can keep you out longer on the track for to avoid pit lane congestion to save time or to allow you to run on some clear track to gain time on your competitors. This app also provides your pit person the knowledge and flexibility to change your pit strategy on the fly with minimal effort during your race depending on your fuel consumption to aid in improving your finishing position.
Available now at $1.99 on the Android Market.

To go along with the Nitro Runtime Calculator, BluegrassHobbies.com has began stocking the recommended Graduated Cylinders and Syringes used to measure the contents of the fuel tank. These item(s) should be used to calibrate or measure your fuel tank so that your runtime figures are accurate. The syringe can easily be used track side and is our recommended device to use to measure your fuel consumption to provide accurate figures. Full instructions on how to use the app are available at here.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...5535&aid=69848

If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Just got this app to day and it work GREAT.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Hey Jesse can you make one for the iPhone to?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We are considering a iphone version but don't have a timeline for it yet.

Also a quick tip: you can adjust the length of your mains in the settings menu.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I've had this for a couple weeks on my phone. Do you guys have any way to accuratly measure how much fuel used?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

+1 for the iPhone!!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

A syringe with cc marks is the best way. Just plug it in to you fuel line and suck it out. Write down the number and do it again till all the fuel is out of the tank. Total ip the numbers and you have your total amount left.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

There is a plastic syringe sold on the bluegrasshobbies.com link. This works great for knowing how much fuel you used. If you do not have this syringe then to measure your fuel amount accurately can be a bit difficult which means you will just be guessing. The app has a setting for 'fuel remaining' or 'fuel consumed' depending on your preference on how you would like to measure this. Below is how I like to use the app and what I feel will give the most accurate results.

I measure my fuel tanks using a graduated cylinder or the syringe provided in the bluegrasshobbies.com link. I engrave this number into the tank's lid, the size can vary from one tank to another.

With the engine tuned good, fill the tank up, start a stop watch and drive the car for a bit. Or start the watch after you top off before a qualifier, stop the watch and the engine after the race. If you crashed and were idling for a while, it's best to remove this from your driving time. For example, if the watch says you drove for 7:20min and you had one crash for 5 seconds, then only use 7:15min as the time figure you insert into the app.

After you stop the engine and watch, get the syringe out so it's ready to use. Remove the fuel line from the engine, insert fuel line onto the syringe, draw fuel into the syringe, hold syringe vertical and remove the air bubbles by tapping the syringe and also squeeze the syringe to remove excess air. Remember or write down the volume of fuel you were able to draw out of your tank. This number will be used in the app with the 'fuel remaining' setting. You might need to do a 2nd pull on the syringe if you have a lot of fuel left over, the syringe holds up to 60cc of fuel with hash marks in 2cc increments. You can either squirt the fuel back into the tank after you measure it, but don't squeeze very hard to prevent the klunk from possibly coming off the tank's fuel line. Or if you have to do more than one pull on the syringe, squirt it into your fuel bottle but leave a gap for air to escape the bottle otherwise fuel mist will spray out as pressure increases inside of the bottle.

The other way to measure is to use the 'fuel consumed' setting. To use this you put fuel into a fuel gun or syringe and fill the tank up taking note of how much fuel it takes to fill the tank. the syringe is the best and most accurate. Fuel guns tend to be off, a popular fuel gun that a lot of people currently use is off by 15cc, huge amount.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I would like to say THANKS to Jesse Robbers for helping come up with this App i used it to day and Bumped up from the B Main and then used it in the A Main to find out just how much run time i was getting in the B Main and it worked out that i only need to pit 4 times in the A Main a lot of guys pitted 5 times and this helped me get a 6th place finish in the A Main.

At the End of the A Main i had just anuff fuel to see in the bottom of the tank the App was DEAD ON in how much fuel i was using and that helped me Pit at just the right time.

This is the best app you can get for Nitro Rc Racing.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

One thing I forgot to mention is there is some discretion to be worked out by the user taking into account your runtime 'cushion' or runtime 'excess'.

For example if you're racing on a track that lap times are 20 seconds long, the main is 45 minutes long, and your MAX runtime is 9:30 minutes to a tank. Then 30 seconds of cushion might not be a large enough cushion to safely pit at 9 minutes every time given the fact that your car doesn't pass in front of pit lane at exactly 9 minutes every time, and also possible fill level variances by your pit person. This means you need to decide if you're going to risk it or be safe and pit at 7:30 intervals. If the circumstances are the same but the lap times are 30 seconds or longer, then you most likely can't pit safely at 9 minute intervals.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

I was told today that the app was used the recent IFMAR 1/8th scale onroad worlds and it worked perfectly.

I am working on an update to extend the features of the "stretch-it" calculations. I expect an update to hit the market soon.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Is there a stop watch in the app? Maybe a fuel remaining meter while the stop watch is running or estimated run time left.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Right now the app only calculates your run-time based on fuel consumed of fuel remaining in the tank based on a timed run. Our next version will add features to the stretch-it algorithms and then after that I need to polish up some wire-frames for the features in the 2.0 version, but I'd rather not spill the beans too much.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This sounds great, just need it developed for I phone.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Jesse and Jared, bravo! great idea! I'll be adding this to my evo.
T

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.