Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Lost control twice of my RC10GT2 - help! >

Lost control twice of my RC10GT2 - help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost control twice of my RC10GT2 - help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Lost control twice of my RC10GT2 - help!

Hey guys. I just installed a new .15 AE into my RC10GT2 and was breaking it in on the street and yard in front of my house. Twice during this process the car refused to respond to the controller, once when it wasn't moving and the next time as I was accelerating on the street (fortunately, the last command it obeyed was still a pretty light throttle, so it didn't haul ass down the street at WOT). In both instances, power-cycling the transmitter did nothing to re-establish the control of the car, but power-cycling the car itself was enough to kick it in the butt and get it working again.

Obviously, this is something that I need to get to the bottom of (and it's making me think hard about either getting a fail safe or else a 2.4 radio with one built in), and I'm looking for a place to start. I suppose it could be the power switch itself, but I'm not sure and I'm looking to tap the wisdom of the more experienced folks here.

Does this sound like a receiver problem? A switch? The batteries in both the transmitter and receiver are brand new.

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it.

-Brian
Old 04-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Does your system use crystals?
If so, inspect both.
I once had a crystal break off one of it's pins causing intermittent contact.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by motomatt
Does your system use crystals?
If so, inspect both.
I once had a crystal break off one of it's pins causing intermittent contact.
It does use crystals (it's the stock Associated AM radio that came with it) - I'll take a look there - thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

DSM son.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

I'm planning to go 2.4 at some point in the near future, but budget dictates that I postpone it for a little bit if possible. If the radio or receiver are bad, I'll need to upgrade sooner, of course, but if it's simply a problem with the switch I'd rather address that in the short term.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm assuming that the receiver batteries have already been checked for good power? If they are low it would cause intermittent signal loss.
I too had to wait to get a 2.4 due to a student budget, but it became one of the most important things to me when it came to security and handling adjustments. If you don't want to spend on a decent 2.4 transmitter just yet, i would still get the cheapest one you can find for now.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Well I went ahead and bit the bullet. I don't want to take the chance of having this car do a runaway at WOT heading down the street, so I placed an order for the Futaba 3-PL. I've read a lot of good things about this radio, and I was able to get the radio and receiver for $114 from Tower Hobbies (plus $10 discount code and free shipping). I hope I'm going to be happy with it - it sounds like a lot of people are.

I was certainly planning to hold off for a while, but might as well do it before I have issues...

Thanks again guys.