Wiki Posts
Search

New to 1/8 Nitro...Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to 1/8 Nitro...Some Questions

Hi All,

Just moved down south from upstate NY where I was an avid 1/10 electric dirt oval & occasional offroad racer. I've decided to get into 1/8 nitro offroad since that seems to be a popular class in this area. I've never driven one of these cars but do have offroad experience. I just ordered an MBX6 M-Spec as I know the LHS stocks parts. So I have some questions for you experienced guys...I've tried searching this forum for some definitive answers to no avail...so...

How long are most club-level qualifiers and mains? I understand most .21 engines usually run 7-10 minutes on a tank, and have read about 30 minute mains in 1/8 nitro so how do pit-stops work on the club-level? Coming from electric this is all new, so I'm just trying to prepare myself in the best manner possible. I was going to head over to the local track tonight and watch the races / ask questions, however we're having bad storms here right now.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

-Mark
Old 04-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Most qualifiers are 5 to 8 minutes long, just depends on where you race.

As far as mains, again it depends upon where you race. Typically, i've seen club level races with C and lower mains usually running 10 minutes. B-Main is usually 15 or 20 minutes and A-Mains are typically 20-30 minutes. A-25 mins B-15 mins C & Lower-10 mins is typically what I've seen at the club level. Some special club races might see longer A-Mains (45-60 minutes) and maybe longer lower mains as well. Coming from Electric, you will really enjoy the long nitro mains!!!

As far as pit stops, it really helps to have a buddy with you, but not required. Most places i've been to have someone more than willing to help you out. It really works best if you have a buddy that runs a different class from you so that you can pit for each other. That being said, i've gone to plenty of races myself and haven't found a problem with getting someone to pit for me. You just gotta ask someone!!!

That's about it, I guess. Welcome to the wonderful world of Nitro!!!