Wiki Posts
Search

Noob question about mounting a motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Noob question about mounting a motor

Hey guys - I just received a new .15 AE engine to replace the bad one in a RC10GT2. I have a couple of questions that I'm sure you guys can help with.

1. Is it appropriate to use regular blue Loc-Tite on the mounting screws? I'm assuming that it's a good idea to loc-tite the engine to the chassis, but it's really an assumption.

2. Gear mesh. Is there a particular way I should set the mesh of the gears during the engine installation? Is it sufficient to merely ensure that they are pressed together, but not so much so that they're under tension?

Thanks guys!

-Brian
Old 04-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 7kings
Hey guys - I just received a new .15 AE engine to replace the bad one in a RC10GT2. I have a couple of questions that I'm sure you guys can help with.

1. Is it appropriate to use regular blue Loc-Tite on the mounting screws? I'm assuming that it's a good idea to loc-tite the engine to the chassis, but it's really an assumption.

2. Gear mesh. Is there a particular way I should set the mesh of the gears during the engine installation? Is it sufficient to merely ensure that they are pressed together, but not so much so that they're under tension?

Thanks guys!

-Brian
I always use blue loctite.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I never use loctite on the bolts in question. Never had a problem with any of them either.

Mesh is a eyeball/ear thing. Mesh it to where all the teeth are going in and grabbing, with the least amount of binding.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Regarding your mesh. You want minimal play. Enough so that if you have flex you don't rip your spur gear but not so much that it may slip and cause damage.

I put my finger on the spur to hold it then wiggle the clutch bell to feel for movement. There should be some play. Then I roll the car and listen. If it sounds kind of grindy, your way to tight.

It's also important to look at getting the clutch bell and spur square to each other. You don't want them at an angle as they will wear funny and you'll not get 100% contact between each gear.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies, guys - I appreciate the help.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

I do not use locktite on the screws that come up through the chassis. I do use a tiny bit when putting the engine on the engine mount.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

For the mesh I use a piece of paper place in between the two and that should give you the right play.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by endy0430
For the mesh I use a piece of paper place in between the two and that should give you the right play.
+1 I do the same thing every time.