R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

see the space between the flywheel and clutch bell? Looks to me he has way to many shims between the clutch nut and clutch bell bearing, when u take the motor out and remove the screw from the front of the clutch bell and the crank shaft is in side the bearing, it will need to be shimmed back to line the bell gears and spur gears put.
Brandon Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

So the clutch bell should sit further back on the flywheel. I can tear it down tomorrow afternoon. I will update. Thanks for everyone"s help.

Please keep any recommendations coming.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqnu View Post
So the clutch bell should sit further back on the flywheel. I can tear it down tomorrow afternoon. I will update. Thanks for everyone"s help.

Please keep any recommendations coming.
that still wont fix your problem... but yeah its to far forward, but make sure the CB isnt rubbing your flywheel pins... i recommend getting the right flywheel... but like i said no mater what CB or flywheel or how you shim it, it will not fix the problem... do this to prove it, take off CB and all off and put the screw on and it will still be that close (unless your shiming past the crank which is not possible BC the CB wouldnt spin freely)....
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Why not shim the clutch bell properly and then use a button head screw or flat head screw.

EPRC-Wichita KS|EPRC.club@gmail.com| www.emeryparkrc.com
Pin2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Yep. get rid of that flywheel........ thats the whole problem......bell looks right, I'll bet ya $5 there is about 200 shims under the inner cb bearing and a crank extender/spacer thingy under the screw..... get rid of all of that mess and get the right flywheel and nut....not to be mean but thats pretty bad...aint seen one like that in a while
Official NON-EXPERT
casterdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqnu View Post
Any recommendations?
that flywheel doe push the clutch very far forward. and a normal sized cap head screw is just too big
THATnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Default Yep

You need to get the stock mugen flywheel, and only use one thin shim between the nut and inside bearing, and no collet shims between the tapered collet and the engine bearing...

I would also gring a 2.5mm headed screw just a little bit to give it more clearance. The 2mm screws strip out too easily...and Use one of these to keep the bearing inside if one fails itwont go through the tank...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Head-Washers-4

the tank is too close to the screw head on the mugen, I have very light rub marks on my tank, never had any issues though...Mostly because I shim the bearings really perfect, with just a slight tick.....I can go three to four races on a set o clutch bearings. Some guys change them twice in one day....
Old 04-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That isnt a stock Mugen flywheel. Looks to me that even if you did reshim it, the flywheel would still need to be replaced with the stock one.The clutchbell is sitting way too far forward.
Sholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #24
Tech Adept

It seems to HB flywheel. HB flywheel is higher that stock flywheel. HB has some offset but if you subtract this offset it still higher that mugen flywheel. Check your collet shims between engine and tapered collet becouse if I got Hb flywheel on my engine that offset is little overlap on crankcase - I don't see this in your pics. And will be better if you change flywheel to mugen and of course screw to 2mm with 'mushroom head'

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
MBX6 clutchbell and fuel tank-p1190409.jpg   MBX6 clutchbell and fuel tank-p1190416.jpg  

Last edited by Busterlbn; 04-05-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Busterlbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Mugen clutch nut is also a lot shorter than some nuts - this moves the clutchbell back towards the engine and levels the gears up...

Been there done that
Pirahna
siv06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #26
Tech Adept

its obvious that the flywheel is way away from the engine in the first pic. you need to pull the flywheel and see if someone shimmed it if not find a different cone for the flywheel centering, I think ofna makes an assortment
I have never owned a mugen but every one gets an opinion

http://www.totalrcnetwork.tv
goatbongoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have a clutchbell similar, mine would sit a little foward due to the brass collet i got with it. get a mugen collet and get rid of the socket head screw and use a button head, that is your main problem. The flywheel and bell look fine.

getting rid of the socket head screw might solve it all together.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Mugens use button heads on the clutch for this very reason. Dump the socket and go button.

As an aside, your clutchbell is shimmed horribly.
BrakeTurnAccelerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I appreciate everyones input. I will be tearing it down in the next 30 min. Is there any info somewhere about How To Shim these?

Also, I did have a few minutes earlier to swap motor mounts from the xtreme quick mount to an M2C. Both put the clutch bell in the same place.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

mine is extremely close, it touched tank a few times it looks but not bad. it all comes down to the screw that you use to hold the CB on... i run a OD flywheel (almost the exact same as the one you have) with zero shims and its just fine.

but ill say it again and people need to realize it, it has NOTHING to do with the flywheel or CB or shimming unless you have shimmed it past the end of the crank which isnt possible because the CB wouldnt spin freely....
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote