R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDelaney View Post
Well, I appreciate all the advice. I am planning on entering my first club race this weekend and trying some of these tips. i also hope to get some video so I can see just how much I have to improve on.

if anyone has racing tips in general I would love to read them.
In sportsman class, my #1 tip.... don't wreck!

Seriously, focus your 100% of your efforts on that. I wouldn't worry about cutting the pipes close, braking perfectly, or hitting every rhythm section perfect.

Go conservative, drive slowly, protect your truck, and you'll finish....and likely do well. Do what you're comfortable with. If it's tough to triple something, double or single it. If you need to drive a section 50% slower than the fast guys to ensure you're not wrecking, just do that.

Plus -- other drivers will respect you more for holding your line and being consistent, no matter how slow you need to go to accomplish that.

Let the guys with ballooning tires who are drifting corners right by you, and then you'll pass them in a half a lap when they're on their lid with a broken arm or turnbuckle.

Just my two cents.
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks for the tip. I hope I can do well since I really don't expect to place high. I just want to do it for fun. I got in some practice at the track (Lake Park in Lutz) last weekend and was getting better by the time I left so hopefully I can pick right back up where I left off and turn good laps without wrecking.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #33
Tech Initiate

Very good advice here. Will try those cornering techniques the next race.
I think my mistake is getting back on throttle way too early and therefore running the corner wide.

The slowing down and not wrecking is definetly good advice. Seems that club races are often won by the person who crashes the least, not by the fastest lap runner. That was especially true in the MT class a few years ago
Nitro2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #34
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

What is the trick to hugging the pipe in corners?

there is no trick honestly...no magic involved.....it's just having a feel for your car and knowing where to put it........always volunteer marshall as many pro/expert a-mains as you can...watch their lines and listen to their cars, take note of where they are on and off power, that's what I do...to try and learn, then I practice those same lines.

carrying the right amount of speed to be able to enter clean upon entry without braking hardcore to scrub speed throwing the cars handling off and throwing the car off it's line, or worse.......staying on power enough but not punching it so hard you push outside then stabbing the throttle at the right time/line upon exit....it takes time, tires, fuel, engines and then lots more of all that same stuff...haha...smooth and steady or "finesse" driving is the way to go UNTIL you can drive punched and still feel as connected to the car as you do when your smooth and steady....Im still smooth and steady....haha

Last edited by Trevor Williams; 04-06-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)
Send a message via MSN to zJatoRad

4 years ago my dad kept asking me, why do you keep hugging the pipe, you just get stuck in there all the time!, after so much practice and many times getting stuck in the pipe I managed to do it without getting stuck and gain a little time in every corner.