R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default reply

taking speed off the car going into a corner too early can have problems too as people following your line end up in your rear which is bad also, its about balancing the braking and turn so that you hug the pipe and exit the corner on power to be gone before the following car can tap you in the rear causing you to flip over while he just drives right by.....practice getting closer during practice and heats

- Sam's Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/savagexsam -
savagesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

car setup, slow down and practice!!
Brandon Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #18

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the groove is not at the pipe so stay away from it, even in 8 scale which are more forgiving than their smaller 10 scale cousins. Famous story how mr husting of associated at the worlds was horrified at how close matt francis was gettin to the pipes. he pleaded with matt to leave 6in more next time. he did so and reset TQ in another timezone compared to the rest of the field. He then thanked the associated boss for the tip.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

There's so many variables to that question that there's no simple, straightforward answer.
You are correct though, races are won and lost in the corners. Jump for show, corner for dough.
First, you have to find your setup that will allow you to hug the pipe and carry your corner speed. That is different for every car, driver, and it will change from track to track.
To get it, you need to practice and try different setups. I have found that as I progress, my setup has changed drastically. It used to be a nice, stable setup that was easy to drive. Now it has become very loose, aggressive, and will get away from you very quickly if you don't drive it perfectly. This has also taught me how to hug the pipes and hit the same line lap after lap though.
Best thing I can tell you is to go to the track one day when it's not busy and spin laps. Run a few to determine what you need your car to do better. Make a small change then get back out there. Keep doing that and you'll eventually get it where you love it. I didn't think I could get mine any better. This weekend I tried a couple of new things and wow, it's a completely new truck, I love it.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Practice the turns from the outside in. In other words enter the turn wide from the outside, hug the inside barrier at the apex, and exit again on the throttle towards the outside. Its all practice.
ntrain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #21
Tech Elite

There is a time and place to hug the pipe. You dont do it all the time as you may be faster 4 feet from the pipe in some cases. I like to watch the FAST guys to see how they enter and exit the corners. Also its good to hear their engine as some let off the throttle in some corners and some give it a little throttle in through the corner.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

One thing I have not seen mentioned is aply the brakes while the car is still going straight and once you begin to turn release the brakes and roll threw the apex of the turn and power out. I learned this racing motocross and it aplies very much here in of road RC racing to.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The most important part is trusttrusting yourself and of course lot's of practice.
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Easy into the corner and hard out.

There is only so much traction a car can generate and it takes traction to turn, brake, or throttle. Doing any 2 at a time limits them both.

For instance this weekend I went to a track with a 180 right off the straight. If I came down too fast or deep I had to use a bunch of brake but the more I used the less the car would turn and sometimes I would lock it up and slide straight then release the brake and it would then turn. The right line was to let off early coast in using just a little brake before turning let off the brake apex the turn and get back in it for the little double coming out of the turn.

My advice is to practice coasting through the apex and as you get better you add a little more speed coming in and going out. If you push in you've gone too deep or fast in and if your loose out your too early or accelerating to hard out.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

we all suffer from over driving the corners, even the pro's, only they know when they just did it, the local slow guy not-so-much. worry less about hugging tubes and instead getting the correct corner speed that does not overwhelm the car. any break in traction is a loss. you will realize that is ALOT slower than you may think. A car rounding the corner at the slower speed and hooked up will generally round the corner faster than the car going in fast and deep spinning and sliding wheels (read mini brakes).

Do that and the later goal of hugging tubes, cause now your car is operating in a more predictable nature, becomes a piece of cake.

mastering brakes so you are coasting less is going to help everywhere. and is often the hardest to do.

And soon you can be like me, knowing what to do but throwing it all away in the heat of competition and drive like the worst of them.... this sport is hell.
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

I always knew you were a pipe hugger.
brian kadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian kadow View Post
I always knew you were a pipe hugger.
not quite the same as you laying pipe.

what up.
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
the groove is not at the pipe so stay away from it, even in 8 scale which are more forgiving than their smaller 10 scale cousins. Famous story how mr husting of associated at the worlds was horrified at how close matt francis was gettin to the pipes. he pleaded with matt to leave 6in more next time. he did so and reset TQ in another timezone compared to the rest of the field. He then thanked the associated boss for the tip.

R
True story. Matt was known for how tight he'd run it. When it worked it was awesome. When it didn't it was disastrous. Matt was arguably the best rep this sport has seen. I miss him.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Well, I appreciate all the advice. I am planning on entering my first club race this weekend and trying some of these tips. i also hope to get some video so I can see just how much I have to improve on.

if anyone has racing tips in general I would love to read them.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDelaney View Post
Well, I appreciate all the advice. I am planning on entering my first club race this weekend and trying some of these tips. i also hope to get some video so I can see just how much I have to improve on.

if anyone has racing tips in general I would love to read them.
Slow down, use throttle sparingly, and take what the track gives you. Take what the track gives you refers to you needing to be disciplined enough to know when you can and cannot clear a triple for instance. If you're a pro, all your laps will be pretty much the same. But if you're a sportsman, chances are you wont be in the same spot or have the same speed each and every lap. If you aren't setup perfectly for a triple, for instance, just double single it. You are always faster through a section on your wheels than when you have to get marshalled.

Also, if you do happen to get marshalled, forget about it immediately. You can never get that time back no matter how fast you drive. I see waay to many people try to push it after a wreck and end up getting marshalled over and over. I call it the snowball effect. Just chillax on that stand and have fun.