R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Electric vs nitro discussion (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/498793-electric-vs-nitro-discussion.html)

TTKDracing 04-01-2011 11:35 AM

Electric vs nitro discussion

As big as 1/8 e buggy and truggy is getting, it still seems as though it will never over take nitro. While ep is more efficient, clean, and overall less of a hassle why is it that most pro racers still love nitro. Yet run electric as a filler class.

Just would like to see everyones opinions on this subject.

neobart 04-01-2011 11:38 AM

Nitro racing feels more like "real" racing. Pit strategy, clutch, engine tuning. All that plays to the gearhead in most of us. Me too.

I just recently switched to electric, and enjoy that too. Still miss nitro somedays. But love the lesser hassle of electric 1/8 racing. It's much less trouble for me to get to the track when I don't have a car.

JAMMINKRAZY 04-01-2011 11:46 AM

Nitro! End of story...;)

Lilja 04-01-2011 12:01 PM

Because as neobart said nitro is more like real racing. I think that when you start opting for the easiest way to race youre just another step closer to not racing at all, if you know what I mean.
Electric sounds and feels much more like toys than nitro does and to be perfectly honest I dont think I would spend thousands of dollars every season on electric only, I just cant justify it to myself.

I suppose its hard to understand to someone thats not into nitro, but everyone that are understands me Im sure :lol:

atl darrick 04-01-2011 12:04 PM

nitro! cause i like the smell

but yeah, whenever i drive an electric, which isnt much, just reminds me of a little toy

tc5 man 04-01-2011 12:14 PM

well, heres what i see at my track mostly is 1/8 nitro truggy/buggy and i dont see it changeing anytime soon inless nitro fuel gets stupid expensive .

but there is a couple of 1/8 e buggys/truggys at my track but never enough to have a full heat of them.

i just nitro better its just more of a rush.,

Snowbum32 04-01-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 8898643)
well, heres what i see at my track mostly is 1/8 nitro truggy/buggy and i dont see it changeing anytime soon inless nitro fuel gets stupid expensive .

but there is a couple of 1/8 e buggys/truggys at my track but never enough to have a full heat of them.

i just nitro better its just more of a rush.,

So your saying $25.00 a gallon give or take isnt exspensive!!! :lol: Just giving you some crap

Catch 22 04-01-2011 12:26 PM

Agreed with the above ..... Electric cars feel like toys to me and I couldnt take it seriously. Each to there own and all that ;)

neobart 04-01-2011 12:26 PM

Oh the cost of nitro is a big reason I dropped it. 50-60$ a gallon, 10$ for a glowplug, the constant upkeep of clutch shoes and clutch bearings. Plus a 50$ lipo get's me a lot more stick time than a gallon of fuel ever did.

But yeah, in a perfect world I would also be running nitro.

Hemi Killer 04-01-2011 12:45 PM

I just recently got back into the hobby after a 4 year hibernation. I sold everything I had before getting out. the first truck I got in december was an SC10. not because of price, i ended up spending over $1k on it. I love the cleanliness, ease of getting on the track etc. However I just bought a used RC8B from this forum because I love nitro. Electric is awesome, but I get tired of the quiet whine of the motor and its not fun for as long. I love the smoke, the obnoxious nitro engines etc. they are more of a pain in the ass, but worth it.

I think I would like to have a balance of both nitro and electric. everything 1/8 nitro, everything 1/10 electric. :D

both are cool, neither are going anywhere.

anyone ride dirtbikes? theres a couple of electric dirtbikes popping up out there. Its inevitable, electric will have a good share of the market.

I agree with the comment that nitro is more like "real" racing, because youre still dealing with all the moving parts and mechanical adjustments of a real car.

TTKDracing 04-01-2011 12:54 PM

Charging batts at the track free

Gallon of fuel 35-40 bucks

I don't understand

mgtmadness2007 04-01-2011 12:57 PM

25 for fuel? Try nearly 40 here in Bath, Ny at Local LHS. That is for O'donnell.

inferno13 04-01-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by TTKDracing (Post 8898794)

I don't understand

good race lipo................200.00

gallon fuel...............28.00

do you understand now.......:lol::lol::lol:

mgtmadness2007 04-01-2011 01:02 PM

I would rather go nitro.
For me Elec. would be way more expensive to start.
for I already have all my nitro stuff so all I would need would be the kit.
I already have engines, servos, fuel, and charger, and rec. batteries.

Elec. I would need it all, and not the cheap stuff. 330 dollar speed control motor combo, 300 dollar batteries(x2 packs), 250 dollar hyperion charger, power supply, lipo bags.480 dollar kit( or a conversion for one of my associateds)

tc5 man 04-01-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by TTKDracing (Post 8898794)

I don't understand

it depends on what your state sales tax is my lhs in pa sells byrons 2000 25% for $25.00 a gallon .

i only run one 1/8 and thats truggy if you run two 1/8 classes thats a diffrence story i cant even keep on on one :lol: